NGD: 1996 McCarty w/ Questions

Johnny Alien

New member with my first PRS and first post! I was a teenager when the McCarty was first released and I played one at my local store and fell in love but did not have funds like that at that age. I finally decided I should track one down so I took a shot with GC used and it worked in my favor as the guitar is killer. That said I have some questions.

1. The serial number is very faded (although I can make it out) and the McCarty Model text is also almost gone. Is that normal? Looks like it was done with a darker color pen vs the normal color.

50506297338_f6f53e0ff9_h.jpg

50506297353_0ba23c308e_k.jpg

2. They listed this as smokeburst but that is not correct? Anyone know which finish this is?

50507008786_6b13f713ef_k.jpg

Loving my first PRS. I believe its all original except for the bridge (the original bridge was included though).

Last edited:
Nice! I don't know about the ink but Smokeburst finishes didn't appear until much more recently. I would guess that color is McCarty Burst. Also, it does not have the original bridge. It would have had the original non adjustable for individual string intonation bridge. That looks like an older PRS adjustable bridge. The pickups look original. Most 90s McCartys I have seen have those covers with the soft/rounded corners.

I'm with John on the McCarty Burst finish. I wouldn't be surprised about the fading on the serial and McCarty model name. Especially on a 24 year old guitar. No telling what it has been through, or how it was stored. Looks like a great guitar though. Welcome to the forum, and congrats on on your first.

Of course, around here, we all want to know.......what's next? :p

Thanks guys! I do have the original bridge and plan on putting it on. I even found the original hangtags in the case. I am super happy with the guitar! I just wanted to see if the faded writing was common or not.

A beautiful example of a true classic. No 10 top or bird inlays and a fantastic burst finish.

Be awate though PRS are addictive, within 6 months of getting my first core model a 2015 McCarty I had 4 core models including a fantastic faded violin amber 2001 McCarty.

Enjoy and may you get many happy years playing out of her.

Last edited:
When did they stop writing “McCarty Model” on the back of the headstock?
I thought it was only on the very first ones in 1994.

Damn fine McCarty!

Congratulations! That is a great looking example of a classic guitar and really makes me want a mahogany neck McCarty!

When did they stop writing “McCarty Model” on the back of the headstock?
I thought it was only on the very first ones in 1994.

Damn fine McCarty!

The first 100 I think we're numbered and signed. Those should all be 1994 models. After some digging around, the latest I've seen "McCarty model" written on the headstock is 1997 based on guitars posted for sale.

congrats on a great guitar! the original mccarty (with a trem) is my favorite prs model.

That’s a classic PRS guitar, and has the look I think of when you say “McCarty.” I’d be totally happy with that one! Welcome to the forum and family of PRS players!

congrats on a great guitar! the original mccarty (with a trem) is my favorite prs model.
As far I am aware the McCarty has never been offered with a tremolo as a option on the standard production runs. The only options were abalone bird inlays, gold hardware or (a rosewood neck on some years production runs)
here is the McCarty price list from 2000 - 2001 showing options and upgrade prices

50505982567_12371935d4_h.jpg

Love the old original McCarty. I had a black burst 2001.
At the time I preferred my LP Standard so I sold it. Wish I still had it. They are hard to find used.

They had a trem model but it was a signature. DGT? I forget.

Love the old original McCarty. I had a black burst 2001.
At the time I preferred my LP Standard so I sold it. Wish I still had it. They are hard to find used.

They had a trem model but it was a signature. DGT? I forget.

Yeah DGT helped design the the McCarty bu his signature models and the DGT model are seperate models.

Who is DGT? Dave Grissom? I forget.
So there was a DGT model l and his model? Wouldn't a DGT be his model?

Back