NGD - 1990 CE-24 Maple fretboard

Is that considered a tobacco burst? It's so classy.

I would have thought to call it that, but apparently PRS calls it either just "Sunburst" or "Black Sunburst". I think because it goes to "black" and not deep brown it isn't considered "tobacco sunburst". No original hang tag with the guitar. I suppose I could pull a pup or two when I change strings to see what the cavities say.

Straplocks are Dunlop Dual Design.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/s...ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=&ecCategory=
Really nice ones, work great on the guitars I have them.
OK, cool, thanks for the info! "Dual Design" seems like a good name, since they work very well as normal strap buttons (which many strap locks do not) - just not as huge as the stock PRS ones.

pretty sure all CEs were nitro neck finishes? could be wrong

Those models have aged really well, they look like classics to me. Notice a lot of makers are now going for this vibe, with vintage tinted necks and plain bursts etc. This one in particular reminds me of the new Ibanez models with roasted necks

Is that body Alder?

Is that body Alder?
Indeed, it is an alder body.

The guitar has a really nice tone - got to open it up a bit Saturday morning, played some heavy stuff (through a Deluxe BMP), and then some bluesy stuff (through a Boss SD-1) into my Sweet 16, using a looper to record base tracks in both cases, then noodling on top. Really good feel - the nitro finish on the maple fretboard makes it feel super slick!

Awesome score! I thought this would be an '88 due to the headstock, they changed to a black headsrock in '89?

May have unstamped Vintage Treble and Bass too... :)

If I have the story straight, they had to change the name in 89 because Mr. Peavey had a trademark on the name "Classic Electric", so they changed to a black headstock and the name CE. I think they also had to halt building while the legal matter was cleared up so there were 88 necks waiting to be built. When they started up again, they didn't change at the new year, but as soon as the inventory of 88's was used up. That is why you have some 88 necks in 89. I think they even show up on some 90's for some reason.

The original pups were not HFS/Vintage until 91 or 92 IIRC. The pups in my 88 are either the unmarked "Vintage" ones, or the unmarked T&B's. The 5 way is also not original. They had a 3 way DPDT switch and the middle position was a two single coils split from both pups configuration that was pretty interesting. The switch itself did the split. My switch had been worn out and replaced with a regular LP type switch and I had a really hard time getting the original switch but it is possible. Which leads me to an interesting story about mine.

This would have been about 2009. I saw it on CL for a good price. I met the guy in a GC parking lot. He told me to go inside and try to play it because he had tried to replace the worn out switch and now it "sounds funny". At the price he was asking I wanted the guitar no matter the sound so I bought it and took it home. "Sounds funny" was an understatement. My best description would be, it sounded like someone installed a wah pedal in the guitar. I'd never heard anything like it. I guessed it was because of the reversed magnet on the bridge pup, that he probably didn't know about, and so I reversed the leads coming from the bridge pup and the problem cleared up!

I later decided to find the correct switch and put it back original, which is how it is today.

Last edited:
If I have the story straight, they had to change the name in 89 because Mr. Peavey had a trademark on the name "Classic Electric", so they changed to a black headstock and the name CE. I think they also had to halt building while the legal matter was cleared up so there were 88 necks waiting to be built. When they started up again, they didn't change at the new year, but as soon as the inventory of 88's was used up. What is why you have some 88 necks in 89. I think they even show up on some 90's for some reason.

The original pups were not HFS/Vintage until 91 or 92 IIRC. The pups in my 88 are either the unmarked "Vintage" ones, or the unmarked T&B's. The 5 way is also not original. They had a 3 way DPDT switch and the middle position was a two single coils split from both pups configuration that was pretty interesting. The switch itself did the split. My switch had been worn out and replaced with a regular LP type switch and I had a really hard time getting the original switch but it is possible. Which leads me to an interesting story about mine.

This would have been about 2009. I saw it on CL for a good price. I met the guy in a GC parking lot. He told me to go inside and try to play it because he had tried to replace the worn out switch and now it "sounds funny". At the price he was asking I wanted the guitar no matter the sound so I bought it and took it home. "Sounds funny" was an understatement. My best description would be, it sounded like someone installed a wah pedal in the guitar. I'd never heard anything like it. I guessed it was because of the reversed magnet on the bridge pup, that he probably didn't know about, and so I reversed the leads coming from the bridge pup and the problem cleared up!

I later decided to find the correct switch and put it back original, which is how it is today.
Cool story about your CE!

The SN on the plate definitely indicates a 1990, so it must have been right on the cusp of getting an old "88/89" neck with "Electric" on it (not "Classic Electric" - did any of them say that? I need a copy of Burrluck handy!), and the seller photos of the back of the pups indicates it has HFS/VBs:

sehqtkdcbdo52pq0fhu8.jpg

kohmce4rohsoml8vdnai.jpg

Oh, and I notice the bridge cavity under the HFS has "2718" faintly visible in that image, which matches the SN on the neck plate - good verification that this isn't a frankenstein-ian parts-caster-ish monster. Well, at least not post-factory. Looks like a true factory Frankenstein!

Last edited:
Cool story about your CE!

The SN on the plate definitely indicates a 1990, so it must have been right on the cusp of getting an old "88/89" neck with "Electric" on it (not "Classic Electric" - did any of them say that?
No. As near as I know the only logo prior to the PRS signature was the one you have. It is just that PRS advertised it as the classic electric and so he changed the name to the CE.

And yes, the neck finish is nitro.
Questions for all you folks:

1. Is the body finish nitro or poly? Looks/feel like poly, but I want to be sure.

2. Is there a reasonably safe method of touching up the neck where the nitro finish has come off from hanging on something that does't like nitro? Or should I just let it be?

3. I will do some research, of course, but do guitar hangers in general these days have rubber/foam that is nitro-friendly or nitro-abusive?

1. Is the body finish nitro or poly? Looks/feel like poly, but I want to be sure.

2. Is there a reasonably safe method of touching up the neck where the nitro finish has come off from hanging on something that does't like nitro? Or should I just let it be?

3. I will do some research, of course, but do guitar hangers in general these days have rubber/foam that is nitro-friendly or nitro-abusive?

I can't help with 1 and 2, but 3 I can offer some input. These are nitro friendly:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...YEl9MIw9y6iRWbL33I3QHI9hKcH47WvhoCGA0QAvD_BwE

I have 4 nitro finished guitars hanging in them for over a year with no issues.

From Hercules' FAQ section:
Is SFF (Special Formulated Foam) safe for Nitrocellulose lacquer finish?
HERCULES takes great pride in providing you with the highest quality and most trusted stands in the world. HERCULES had conducted numerous trials on our SFF foam and is pleased to conclude that the foam does NOT react with the large majority of popular instrument finishes on the market, including Nitrocellulose. These trials included subjecting an assortment of high end and budget friendly instruments on our variety of stands to punishing heat, bitter cold and common room temperatures for periods of up to six months without disruption.

However, each instrument manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with varying proportions of the chemical agents involved. There are thousands of variations of lacquer in use in today’s instrument manufacturing processes, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to maintain the level of respect and support your valuable instrument deserves, we recommend you refer to your instrument's owner’s manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument.

Thanks @bodia !

As it turns out, I have a large bunch of String Swing hangers, and they are also nitro-friendly, apparently. Perhaps they use the same material as Hercules.

I also have another brand that I am not so sure of ("Mango Spot"), so I will avoid putting the CE on those.

The body is poly. It’s fairly easy to touch up nitro as any new coats will “melt” into the previous ones, the trick will be matching the slight tint and removing any of the dirt/staining from the unfinished areas. Personally, I’d leave it.

Thanks @bodia !

As it turns out, I have a large bunch of String Swing hangers, and they are also nitro-friendly, apparently. Perhaps they use the same material as Hercules.

I also have another brand that I am not so sure of ("Mango Spot"), so I will avoid putting the CE on those.
I’ve never taken the risk.

I use Hercules wall hangers and I use the “old sock” trick.

Take an old black sock (clean of course), cut the toe end off, thread the remaining portion onto the hanger, like a little scarf if you will, and that prevents any unwanted damage to your guitar.

OK it’s not cosmetically perfect, but who wants damage to a lacquer finish?

Pretty sure the necks were bitro but bodies poly, a bit like the late 60s fenders

Nitro touch ups are much easier for a repairman because you can blend the new finish into the old one

Noob question here: Is that bookmatch line, or joinery line on the top, off centre? Or are my eyes off? I just bought an alder CE24 with a maple fretboard and when back home, I saw what seems to be a joinery line, that is off centre and skewed.. Is that possible?
Another question: is this a really a maple top, on an alder body with no binding??

Back