NGD - 1990 CE-24 Maple fretboard

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Delayed by a day, but I finally received the 1990 CE-24 I bought off Reverb last weekend!:

YR4fNGH.jpg

Yes, I'm gonna fix the Christmas tree once I swap out strings. It feels like it has 9s on there, I usually play 10s. But a couple of my PRSi have 9s. Waddaya think, should I move up to my usual 10s?

nykBviE.jpg

Some buckle rash, but hey, this was definitely a player's guitar, and it is 28 years old!

4AsG2KL.jpg

The 5-way pickup selector knob is different from the volume and tone. I assume that is not stock, but I ask the forum to clarify:

4NCfxsv.jpg

Also not stock are the strap buttons. Are these some variant of strap-locks, or just someone's preference for something easier to slip on/off? Not sure I will bother to swap them out.

I87f78S.jpg

I don't believe the seller pointed this out, but I guess I'm not surprised: some damage or finish removed where it probably hung on a wall hanger (similar finish removed on other side of neck), I assume this is therefore a nitro finish? My first nitro finish guitar, I think.

oLVHVly.jpg

All in all about what I expected - this is not a mint guitar, was not sold as such.

Oh, I plugged it into a little battery-powered Roland Cube, and it sounds quite nice at "office with door closed" levels. No scratchy pots, either. Seller photos indicated HFS and VB pickups, just like my 2002 CU24.

Can't wait to get it home and exercise it through the HXDA, Sweet 16, and/or the Archon!

Looks like a fun guitar. Congrats.

I'd go 9.5s on it.

Its so refreshing to see a regular wood grain finish. I like 'em and I miss 'em. Yes that's a working guitar you got and no bad thing either. You needed be concerned about keeping it pristine. Its a fine looking guitar and the maple board is appealing too.

Nice catch!

Very nice Congrats!

As for strings I find 9s a bit thin I prefer 10s but that’s just my personal opinion !

Thanks, y'all!

Dunno if it started out that way, but that maple looks darker and nicely aged compared to other maple necks. Is that typical of nitro? Does it start out darker than modern V12-like finishes? I assume poly stays clear for a really long time...

Oh, and it came with a non-PRS hardcase - I knew that when I bought it. But that PROrockgear case is relatively flimsy. I wouldn't recommend them - a gig bag might be better.

That there's a rock machine! I owned one of those until a couple of years ago. The neck finish on those older CE's had a yellow tint to it from the beginning. Also, the selector knobs were prone to cracking, so it's likely a prior owner had to replace it.

Awesome score! I thought this would be an '88 due to the headstock, they changed to a black headsrock in '89?

May have unstamped Vintage Treble and Bass too... :)

I got a 92 EG II 6 months ago with the same strap buttons. They were changed out for the larger ones right away. I would rock that bad boy 6 ways till Sunday. Great score!

Awesome score! I thought this would be an '88 due to the headstock, they changed to a black headsrock in '89?

May have unstamped Vintage Treble and Bass too... :)
Seller photos showed HFS & TB. Yeah, headstock officially changed in 89 to black top with tiny PRS sig, but some old-stock necks apparently lingered into early 90s. I'm guessing the all-maple ones.

Back