NGD - Prs Studio Maple - 1990

darkmavis

Hi all! I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have been presented with the opportunity to own and cherish an exquisite specimen of an early PRS Studio guitar, particularly in the rarer and captivating maple version. The guitar has retained its originality and integrity in full, showcasing the remarkable craftsmanship and attention to detail that PRS is renowned for. Notably, the distinctive Liny Fralin pickups remain nestled within, a testament to the guitar's rich history and character, preserved over the passage of time.

Despite the years that have gracefully passed, this guitar remains largely untouched, a true testament to the care and reverence it has received from its previous owners. It's an intriguing experience for me, especially considering my familiarity with winged guitars in the past. Yet, curiously, I find myself in a bit of a puzzle, still endeavoring to master the delicate art of adjusting the wings to achieve that perfect aesthetic appeal, a feat I've tackled before with other winged guitars and failed.

While this might not be classified as a "Ten Top" model, it carries a unique charm that sets it apart. The inclusion of an ink stamp serves as a mark of authenticity, a subtle signature that resonates with the essence of this instrument. This guitar has effortlessly claimed the throne as my number one choice, Its distinctive sound, historical significance, and visual allure have firmly established it as the centrepiece of my collection.

this is also the guitar , in 'The PRS Guitar Book' by Dave Burrluck published in 2007 if any of you have a copy of that lying around..

7F9A1764-X3.jpg

7F9A1761-X3.jpg
7F9A1770-X3.jpg
7F9A1805-X3.jpg

7F9A1791-X3.jpg

Beautiful! I do have the book and I’ll dig it out.
Now go fix those tuners!;):)

Ah, the notorious case of the misbehaving tuners! It seems I've been caught red-handed, guilty as charged. But fear not, for I am determined to embark on a valiant quest once more during the impending restringing session. The mystery of why these seemingly innocent pieces of hardware vex me to no end remains an enigma, a riddle that even the wisest minds cannot decipher.

Now, as I prepare to face this challenging ordeal once again, please grab that book and get me a snap of my new beau. I'd be forever grateful.

It almost looks "wrong" in a way, in that we're so used to seeing a humbucker pickup at the neck ("bass") position. But man, oh man, is that a beautiful example of the early PRS curly-maple-top aesthetic. Stunning figured top and an equally stunning color-finish.

Anybody else notice how those single-coil pickups are actually singular cream humbucker bobbins, rather than typical Strat-style single coils which would have actual covers? Very interesting!

Back