New Years NGD x2...A Pair of Cherries!

mwong61

Well technically, I got these around Thanksgiving but they were under wraps until Christmas.

Hey all, been a long time since I've posted here but I have been lurking now and again. I think my last post was my LAST NGD when I got my Mcarty 594 a couple years ago.

I actually stopped playing guitars for a while and only recently got back into it (with a vengeance I guess!)

I wanted to get myself a new guitar for Christmas this year and the new Gibson SG 61's were catching my eye. That got me looking at cherry finish guitars in general. Then I started watching @bryanewald demo videos and totally got sucked into the vortex....hah! Always such tasty playing and for some odd reason every demo video I watch of him results in me searching Reverb for that particular model, heh.

Somehow the S2 line of guitars totally flew under my radar all these years and I had no idea there have been so many really cool and unique models released. The Vela really caught my eye and I am total sucker for semi hollow guitars and I fell pretty hard. I managed to find one and snagged it. (They were really hard to find in Cherry finish around November for some reason.) The more I listened to videos of the D02 pickups the more intrigued I became and was thinking about also getting an SE Starla. I was very fortunate to find an NOS S2 Starla in CHERRY! Of course I had to have it as well. So wound up with a pair of Cherries for Christmas this year.

All I can say is WOW. I LOVE these 2 guitars. So very unique yet familiar. I love the shape of the Pattern neck profile (my first). I may actually like it better than the Pattern Vintage on my 594.

Of course the fretwork was totally impeccable as was the fit and finish. Super nice mahogany and very resonant bodies. I am so very impressed with the S2 series of guitar, I have a feeling there may be a 594 Thinline in my future as well, hah. For the value extremely hard to beat for a Maryland made PRS. I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to buy an off the shelf guitar that doesn't need some bit of fret dressing or SOMETHING to get it to play the way I like. (But I admit I'm a bit picky so there's that...)

All I needed to do was oil the fingerboard on the Starla and shine up the frets a bit from hanging on the wall a couple of years I guess.

I totally had visions of twangy, Gretschy sounds when I finally got to play my guitars at Christmas but was super surprised to find how extremely well these 2 guitars take gain. I recorded a couple clips and stitched it into a video linked below comparing the 2 S2's and my 594 in a mix context.

Also for Christmas this year I got a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X and this is my first foray into the world of amp modeling. Again, SUPER impressed with the Unison amp models from UAD. All the guitar tones in the video are UAD amp models recorded into LUNA. Signal chain descriptions are in the video.
I'll apologize in advance for the clams (amazing how you can hear every clam when you hit "record" hahah).

QcdyKtc.jpg

3qqQ5JJ.jpg

VEJn8At.jpg

I decided the dress up the Vela with Bone tuner buttons, Ivoroid knobs and an cream colored switch tip.
jIRD5Z3.jpg

IoTQMXp.jpg

Not to be left out, the Starla got "Tintful Wood" tuner knobs.(Never heard of "tintful" but looks kind of like Madagascar Rosewood). Still deciding whether I want to change the knobs or not.
dfTS1A6.jpg

You do the guitars justice. Nice guitars but your playing tops the new guitars day.

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm still getting to know these guitars and have barely scratched the surface of what they can do. I just can't seem to get over how great these pickups sound in a medium gainy setting. The high end of the Starla can "almost" sound "low wind PAF-ish" at certain amp settings. And the Vela, man, what a unique guitar. So light, so resonant. I'm still getting used to the neck/body joint geometry a little bit. Feels a bit awkward playing up in the upper registers while sitting. Like I'm playing with my hand shoved up my belly button hahah. I have a hankering to get a second Vela, maybe a solid body and mess around with some different pickups. I can imagine like a Mini Hum in the neck and a hotter PAF style in the bridge. It would be like the most incredible SG that never was!

I dunno, on the other hand, I think PRS knocked it out of the park with the Vela. I know there are some fans out there but I can't understand how these seem to fly under the radar. If they ever made a Core Vela with a full carved top I'd be all over that!

Re: the clip, somehow when I first plugged in the Vela it just made me think "Larry Carlton". Maybe it was the semi hollow thing, or maybe the big fat single coil that reminded me of his Valley Arts's P90 days.

I thought it would be fun to comp together my take of his epic solo on Kid Charlemagne with 3 different PRS's to show the differences. I played all 3 guitars in the middle position with both pickups in humbucking mode. I thought the Vela sounded the most different with the throatiness of the neck single coil mixed in.

The Starla seems to be begging for an AC30 style amp, which unfortunately is not available from UAD as a model yet. I'm searching around for a good AC30 based amp sim. (Just sold my 2 real amps and thinking about what's next for me).

Plus, I broke my foot 5 days into my Christmas break this year. So I've had a lot of time to sit on my butt and mess around with my guitars. All my other "honey do's" kinda went out the window.

M-

That was some sweet playing there! Very nice indeed and I admire your skills!

My story is in part, similar to yours. For the longest time I also wanted a Gibson '61 SG Reissue. Played one at my music store and it played great but I wasn't sold. Long story short, I'm tired of the low end boom/drone from neck humbuckers and the SG's neck pickup had that boom. No way was I going to spend that much on a guitar and start wondering about a replacement pickup. Came across video's for the Vela semi hollow body on YouTube and it really caught my interest. Joined the forum, asked a lot of questions and decided to take a chance. Got mine on 12/4/21 and it's the guitar I've been looking for!

That was some sweet playing there! Very nice indeed and I admire your skills!

My story is in part, similar to yours. For the longest time I also wanted a Gibson '61 SG Reissue. Played one at my music store and it played great but I wasn't sold. Long story short, I'm tired of the low end boom/drone from neck humbuckers and the SG's neck pickup had that boom. No way was I going to spend that much on a guitar and start wondering about a replacement pickup. Came across video's for the Vela semi hollow body on YouTube and it really caught my interest. Joined the forum, asked a lot of questions and decided to take a chance. Got mine on 12/4/21 and it's the guitar I've been looking for!

I still kinda want the SG though...it's so cool looking ;-) And I love the 61 specs.

On the other hand, I have not owned a Gibson in over 15 years. And there's a reason I sold the last one I had. Just too many QC issues and it doesn't seem like the new regime has addressed this in any significant way. (Except to buy a Plek machine). You have to buy a Custom Shop or R series to get a great guitar out of the box. (Or go into a physical store and pick through 3 or 4 to find a good one)
Plus...the company just seems to keep getting douchier.....(is that a word?). Sorry for the rant.

All to say that I have such great respect for Paul and what he's done with PRS. The ethos of turning out a quality product in every single guitar, even their cheapest SE's come out of the box with great playability and don't need fret ends dressed, or leveled to be able playable. This one of the reasons I bought my Core Mcarty 594 a couple years ago. It was half the price of a Gibson Custom Shop or Murphy Lab and came out of the case sounding like the best vintage LP style guitar I ever heard. And gnats arse perfect build quality.

Which makes the S2 series so interesting to me. For less than 1/2 the price of a Core you can get an American made guitar with all the important things to me. Quality woods, nitro finish, quality designs.
I've read some people rag on the hardware/electronics quality in the S2's but those are all things that can be easily addressed aftermarket with some basic soldering skills. (Fwiw, as much as I love tinkering, I have not felt the need to touch the wiring, pots, switches, etc on any of my PRS's, all seems to work and everything sounds great)

I think I'm talking myself into a Cherry Red S2 Mcarty 594 Thinline......hah!

I still kinda want the SG though...it's so cool looking ;-) And I love the 61 specs.

On the other hand, I have not owned a Gibson in over 15 years. And there's a reason I sold the last one I had. Just too many QC issues and it doesn't seem like the new regime has addressed this in any significant way. (Except to buy a Plek machine). You have to buy a Custom Shop or R series to get a great guitar out of the box. (Or go into a physical store and pick through 3 or 4 to find a good one)
Plus...the company just seems to keep getting douchier.....(is that a word?). Sorry for the rant.

All to say that I have such great respect for Paul and what he's done with PRS. The ethos of turning out a quality product in every single guitar, even their cheapest SE's come out of the box with great playability and don't need fret ends dressed, or leveled to be able playable. This one of the reasons I bought my Core Mcarty 594 a couple years ago. It was half the price of a Gibson Custom Shop or Murphy Lab and came out of the case sounding like the best vintage LP style guitar I ever heard. And gnats arse perfect build quality.

Which makes the S2 series so interesting to me. For less than 1/2 the price of a Core you can get an American made guitar with all the important things to me. Quality woods, nitro finish, quality designs.
I've read some people rag on the hardware/electronics quality in the S2's but those are all things that can be easily addressed aftermarket with some basic soldering skills. (Fwiw, as much as I love tinkering, I have not felt the need to touch the wiring, pots, switches, etc on any of my PRS's, all seems to work and everything sounds great)

I think I'm talking myself into a Cherry Red S2 Mcarty 594 Thinline......hah!

i have an Epiphone SG Pro that I bought in January of 2019. Loved playing it but I wanted to "step up a few notches" which is why I wanted a Gibson SG. Gotta give credit where it's due. Even though my Epiphone plays great, the neck on the Gibson SG was incredible. I believe it was given the plek treatment and if so it showed. Great, fabulous playing guitar.

But tonally the Vela is more of what I was after and I'm so glad I took a chance with it. I will say though that I did have to take it to the guitar tech I go to for a set up. I set it up the best I could but he wound up having to go over the frets a little bit. I wasn't upset about this because I've owned enough guitars to know that when you buy a new one and play it for a few weeks things are going to move around a bit before it starts settling into place and the frets may need a bit of a going over. It played great when I got it but it was even better after he worked on it. Money well spent.

Back