New Track - Tomorrow

dcm_guitar

I'm trying to look at the "shelter in place" rules as a positive. Being stuck at home gives me a chance to hang out in the studio for hours without feeling too guilty.

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/tomorrow

All the rhythm guitars are the 594. The solo is the 2408. Please give it a listen!!!

I've been working on this one for about a week. I got the basic tracks recorded about a week ago. I worked on the lyrics this week )after work) and spent a couple of days in the studio rewriting and trying different melodies before I got something solidified.

The song sat for a day or two, and then I started working on the guitar solo. I got the base solo down and then decided I wanted to repeat the same musical statement twice in the solo, but the second time through I wanted to change the triplets to sixteenth notes. Only, I couldn't play clean 16th note runs at that tempo. So, Wednesday night and Thursday night were spent with the metronome. Metronomes are TRULY evil!!!

I got the solo recorded (don't ask how many takes!!) and did a first pass mix today.

I will tweak the mix over the next few days, but I'm excited about this and would REALLY LOVE some feedback.

Great song with really cool clean guitar parts.
I think that, that drums are a little bit to loud (to 'punchy') for the first 30-40s of the song. Also, there are parts during solo, where the solo guitar is to quiet in comparison to the rest of the instruments (why do you hide such a good solo behind a backing track? :))
Overall, very nice track.

Thanks for the feedback. It's so helpful to get another set of ears! Also, this is the first pass mix, which will always get tweaked.

I love drums and almost always mix them very forward; often too forward. I pulled a couple of dB out of the drums during the intro section as well as the other two parts of the song that use the intro guitar riff.

I REALLY appreciate the comments on the solo as well as the mix during the solo. I added a side-chain compressor to the rhythm guitar track and pulled out what amounts to about 3dB from the rhythm guitars during the solo section. IN my monitors this does help the solo "pop" a bit more.

I also noticed in the fadeout at the end that the gate I had on the drum buss in the mix caused the ring of the cymbals at the end to sound "pulsing and scratchy". I turned the gate off after the last cymbal hit to allow for a natural sounding decay.

I'm not going to publish these mix tweaks yet, so the link above still has the first mix. I'd like to get a few more comments and also let this mix settle into my ears a little more before I decide to remaster.

Gain, THANK YOU for the comments. GREATLY appreciated.

Man, what a fantastic track! The guitar and vocal work you’ve done is superb, and just overall a very cool and well made song. And that solo!!!

I listened twice just to make sure it wasn’t some kind of SoundCloud conversion/streaming problem (also because I really liked the song!) but it was the same both times, there’s no bass or low mid in your mix, or at least as it came through to me. Sounds like something on an old AM radio, if you know what I mean. Maybe an EQ got bumped accidentally? My other recommendation would be to add some reverb to the drums and vocals, the track is a little dry and would pop more with some dimension added to it.

Really great song though, please keep us posted on the revisions!!!

Man, what a fantastic track! The guitar and vocal work you’ve done is superb, and just overall a very cool and well made song. And that solo!!!

I listened twice just to make sure it wasn’t some kind of SoundCloud conversion/streaming problem (also because I really liked the song!) but it was the same both times, there’s no bass or low mid in your mix, or at least as it came through to me. Sounds like something on an old AM radio, if you know what I mean. Maybe an EQ got bumped accidentally? My other recommendation would be to add some reverb to the drums and vocals, the track is a little dry and would pop more with some dimension added to it.

Really great song though, please keep us posted on the revisions!!!

Thanks!!

I have listened through a few different systems and settings. Bottom end is always the hardest thing to get right, which is why I don't mix professionally!

I think there may be SOME low end degradation from SoundCloud, but it's almost certainly the mix. Can you please tell me your listening environment (speakers, headphones, earbuds, etc.)?

You've obviously got a good ear about the reverb. Neither the drums or the vocals are dry, but the drums are definitely "dryish". One thing that will "date" a mix (maybe more than anything else) is the use of reverb. Too much and it sounds like a reject from the 80's. I try to be judicious, but it can go from too little to too much very quickly.

Again, thank you for the feedback. It is GREATLY appreciated. I'll play with the mix a bit tonight since I haven't listened to the song for a couple of days.

Well done - nice playing!

The only other constructive criticism that I would add is that for me as a singer with a voice that can use some magic dust, I rely heavily on my Vocal effects processor’s. I have a lexicon unit for Home and a TC electronics unit on the floor for live performances.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!

I'll use this one as a benchmark for mixing a couple of other finished songs. The shelter in place rules have really "forced" me to get some things done.

I REALLY do appreciate your time, your ears and your feedback!

I like your updates! Both the reverb and bass guitar, I would say, are “in the zone” of where they should be. In both cases, I think you could still get away with a little more if you wanted to, but it’s more of a preference thing at this point. The track sounds more spacious without the reverb being obvious, it’s subtle but sufficient, you did a nice job with it if that was your goal. One of those situations where it’s not that I notice it being there now, more that I noticed it not being there before.

If I could give a critique of one remaining issue, your kit still sounds thin, especially the kick. I’m no expert on why to do there, it probably depends on what you’re using for drums, but you could try this in your drum track, or more specifically just to the kick, if it has its own track - first, boost the fundamental of the kick, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50hz, move your peak around and you’ll find it. Then apply a compressor with a moderately strong ratio, attack around 15ms and then play with the release until you start to hear some of the low resonance ringing out. Basically you don’t want to kill the initial attack of the drum, so don’t set the attack too short, but then adding some of the later resonance of the drum via the compression bringing it out. Rick Beato has a nice compressor video where he talks about that, among other things.

Perhaps also try adding some midrange 500hz-1.5K “ish” to your drum track overall to fill it out, that’s just a shot in the dark, but it may fill out the kit somewhat.

I like your updates! Both the reverb and bass guitar, I would say, are “in the zone” of where they should be. In both cases, I think you could still get away with a little more if you wanted to, but it’s more of a preference thing at this point. The track sounds more spacious without the reverb being obvious, it’s subtle but sufficient, you did a nice job with it if that was your goal. One of those situations where it’s not that I notice it being there now, more that I noticed it not being there before.

If I could give a critique of one remaining issue, your kit still sounds thin, especially the kick. I’m no expert on why to do there, it probably depends on what you’re using for drums, but you could try this in your drum track, or more specifically just to the kick, if it has its own track - first, boost the fundamental of the kick, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50hz, move your peak around and you’ll find it. Then apply a compressor with a moderately strong ratio, attack around 15ms and then play with the release until you start to hear some of the low resonance ringing out. Basically you don’t want to kill the initial attack of the drum, so don’t set the attack too short, but then adding some of the later resonance of the drum via the compression bringing it out. Rick Beato has a nice compressor video where he talks about that, among other things.

Perhaps also try adding some midrange 500hz-1.5K “ish” to your drum track overall to fill it out, that’s just a shot in the dark, but it may fill out the kit somewhat.

Again, SUPER useful information. I'll give it a go and see how it sounds to my ears. I absolutely love how specific you are with your suggestions!

When I mix, I concentrate on a particular area and then that's ALL I hear. As I was working on my kick, I started hearing nothing but kick and it got distracting. Sometimes I can't see the forest because I was pruning a very particular tree!

I do have all the drums broken out onto separate tracks (for the record I use EZ Drummer).

Again, SUPER useful information. I'll give it a go and see how it sounds to my ears. I absolutely love how specific you are with your suggestions!

When I mix, I concentrate on a particular area and then that's ALL I hear. As I was working on my kick, I started hearing nothing but kick and it got distracting. Sometimes I can't see the forest because I was pruning a very particular tree!

I do have all the drums broken out onto separate tracks (for the record I use EZ Drummer).

I hear ya... I’ve been doing the same with a couple tracks trying to get them zoned in, and just to advance my skills. Fortunately I have a nice guy who runs a small pro studio that has been nice enough to give me lots of tips, he used to hang out here but we chat elsewhere now. I’m still far to the novice end of things, and there’s so much to learn. I’d like to get to the point that I can record, mix, and master all of my own content, I have some friends and bandmates that I work with, but often they’re flush on ideas and desire but short on cash, rush to the studio without really pondering their finances, and that leaves myself and one or two others footing the whole bill for studio time and mixing/mastering.

Ear fatigue as well as mental fatigue is real! Unfortunately one of the best things for evaluating a mix is time, just stepping away from it for a day, maybe even a week, to refresh the ears and mind. But it sure doesn’t help get things done quickly!

Ear fatigue as well as mental fatigue is real! Unfortunately one of the best things for evaluating a mix is time, just stepping away from it for a day, maybe even a week, to refresh the ears and mind. But it sure doesn’t help get things done quickly!

I consider myself to be very much still in the learning phase when it comes to mastering, but I do this every single time. Get the mix and master where I think it sounds good, then walk away. Listen again the next day, and if I'm still content, then I bounce it down.

Still a ton I could learn about the process. It would definitely be beneficial to sit down with someone and learn it, but that ain't happening.

How do you like doing it that way? I've always kept the stereo output, whether w/EZDrummer, Steven Slate Drums, or the Native Instruments drums. I'm not sure I have the patience to mix that many channels of drums.

I usually just throw some compression and/or reverb on the drums and leave them. This weekend, I bought the new Crush Station from Eventide (I think that's its name). Decided to throw it on a EZ Drummer drum track because they showed it in the video and I wanted to see how it worked. Played w/a couple presets and had it sounding pretty cool. Didn't save it, though (not an error - intentional). Next day, decided to play a little again and then remembered I was going to try the Steven Slate drums in there. Popped the same preset on and it sounded horrible. Kind of eye-opening as to how different the various drum packages can be. I still want the Neil Peart drum package from IK - I just don't want to spend the money it'll take to upgrade my Sample Tank to the newer version that's needed.

Still a ton I could learn about the process. It would definitely be beneficial to sit down with someone and learn it, but that ain't happening.

Agree. I would learn a lot in a day, but could probably stay for 6 months and still be learning, there’s just so much going on!

Also, just want to encourage you both, and anyone else reading, to keep sharing your tunes, and to keep listening to what gets posted. One of the major shortcomings of these guitar forums, IMO, is we all care about gear and the tiniest intricacies and nuances of this vs that, and I’m not saying that’s not worth discussing, but then someone actually spends the time (LOTS), effort, and money to do that thing we theoretically obsess over this stuff for - making music - and it just goes unnoticed and unheard. Which, if you ask me, is a damn shame on all of us. So, thanks to everyone who has listened to this tune, thanks @dcm_guitar for joining and submitting your song to us, and for everything that went into making it. And, to all of us, let’s make a point to not only be gear enthusiasts but music enthusiasts too. You’ll be amazed at some of the awesome stuff that passes through here.

Back