New to me CE24 - pickup swap ideas

rlw

Hi

I'm just about to get a 1996 CE24 which will need some TLC along the way but, hey, it was very cheap.

It currently has the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickup combination, although the originals are in the case.

Before buying this, I had tried a new CE24 and loved the sound of the pickups - 85/15 - which were so well defined it was shocking.

What PRS, or other, pickup could I fit to approach that so clean, hi-fi tone?

The 85/15 are special pickups. There is a set available on Reverb right now.

An uncovered set of Suhr Thornbuckers would be really nice.

Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient have a very modern voice, but are super clear. The Jazz is supposed to be very clear, though, so maybe keep that and if the JB is too much you can go for a Pearly Gates, uncovered '59, or Jazz bridge.

If you want hi-fi clarity, the PRS HFS/VB set won't get you there.

8515s would be cool but expensive.

5909s kick total ass and are more affordable.

5708 neck/ 5909 bridge
8515 neck/5909 bridge
5310s super cool super hard to find.

If you intend to tune low then hfs/VB or M pickups.

I have a 96 CE24 as well! I currently have an Alnico II Pro in the neck and a JB in the bridge. I didnt care for the HFS/VB the VB didnt do anything for me, and the HFS was thin sounding to me. I also tried a Tremonti in the bridge, but I went back to the JB I think the tremonti bridge does better in a guitar that isnt quite as bright as the CE. The A2P neck pickup has a full and smooth sound that really contrasts the JB to give a wide range of sounds. The A2P basically sounds like the intro of Sweet Child O Mine. One way I like to use this combo is to set the amp on the edge of breakup, the neck keeps it smooth and clean and the bridge pushes the amp into an overdrive that retains clarity nicely. I had the JB/Jazz in another guitar but I didnt care for the Jazz either. you could also consider a magnet swap in the JB to get some slightly different characteristics from it.

The PTC is currently putting a set of Dimarzio Gravity Storm pickups in mine.

8515s would be cool but expensive.

5909s kick total ass and are more affordable.

5708 neck/ 5909 bridge
8515 neck/5909 bridge
5310s super cool super hard to find.

If you intend to tune low then hfs/VB or M pickups.

Agrre - I have 53/10's in my Cu22 and 57/08 bridge and 59/09 in my 93 CE24. Great articulation and sound.

Back