New Silver Sky Neck Pocket Chip - too nitpicky?

hunterGBguitar

Just received my silver sky. Wondering if something like this is within spec or if I am being too obsessive.
vAg1Ijm

https://imgur.com/a/m4lznpy Here's a better pic. It is a great guitar and im super happy with it besides this. I tried a different one and could feel the scarf joint on it whereas with this one I can't so I would be hesitant to try my luck again. On the bright side maybe it could make the first ding easier?

I messaged customer service to ask if it is within spec. I'm hoping they report that it is so I can just enjoy this one with peace of mind lol.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is my first new guitar and I had had really high expectations and am realizing that perhaps literal perfection is not a reasonable expectation.

I’ve never loved the sound and feel of a guitar more and it seems like that should be plenty to overlook a tiny cosmetic flaw that I won’t even see when playing but for some reason it’s a bigger deal in my mind than I’d like it to be.

I’m sure as I play it more and grow attached to it and inevitably add my own dings I’ll laugh about how silly I was being.

Totally get it man. New big purchase and all but really, you're right, at the end of the day they're gonna get a ding. The most important thing is playability and sound. You picked it up new, call the dealer and see if they'll throw you a bone or something. I would call and take care of my customer, especially if you put it to them just like above.

I took 2 guitars to practice tonight. The 594 soapy, and the SS.
I busted a string on the 594 about 20 mins in and immediately grabbed the SS to go the distance.
Man... I LOVE the SS.
A couple of months after I got it (a couple of years ago) I was packing up after practice and didn't notice that I hadn't zipped up the gig bag properly.
I threw the bag on my shoulder and... ugh... it fell out of the bag and hit the floor on the butt end near the strap button... then it keeled over and smacked the back of the headstock.:eek:
I couldn't bear to look at the possible damage so just jammed it back in the bag and left (the look on my bandmate's face was astonishing).
Next day I inspected the guitar (with great trepidation indeed), and found some abrasions. Buffed them out and good to go!:D
Moral of my dumba$$ story... Don't sweat the small stuff.:cool:

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is my first new guitar and I had had really high expectations and am realizing that perhaps literal perfection is not a reasonable expectation.

I’ve never loved the sound and feel of a guitar more and it seems like that should be plenty to overlook a tiny cosmetic flaw that I won’t even see when playing but for some reason it’s a bigger deal in my mind than I’d like it to be.

I’m sure as I play it more and grow attached to it and inevitably add my own dings I’ll laugh about how silly I was being.

So fortunately the flaw is rather small and not visible while playing. I do know how important an unblemished new guitar is and it is your choice if to keep it or return. Overall i think if this guitar speaks to you more than other silver sky's then you should ask your dealer if they can assist you with potentially a lowered price if deemed reasonable.

For my silver sky there is this one non perfect area in the spring pocket but as it does not affect playability it doesn't matter to me and I kept it. Now if there is an issue on the neck which impacts playability, for sure don't keep that.

I am happy you love the guitar though, the silver sky's really are incredible!

Oh last thing that can give perspective, i recently purchased a violin to learn to play on and it had a small varnish scratch on the back. It hurt me until the violin slipped from under my chin which caused a slightly larger imperfection and now that first scratch is irrelevant!

Thanks again people. I’m almost positive after playing it some more that getting over the small imperfection won’t be too bad :).

So I’m almost definitely not going to be sending it back or asking for a replacement. However, if PRS customer service themselves say it’s out of spec I will then and only then contact my dealer to ask for some kind of discount.

I should have mentioned, this guitar is actually a replacement from my first one that had a more glaring cosmetic defect with a rather large area of lifting finish that PRS confirmed was out of spec. I am ordering them sight unseen because there are non in stock around me and my dealer assured me that this one was inspected thoroughly and that he thought I would be satisfied.

I’m already laughing at myself when I go to look at the guitar (just pick it up and play it right?) and for a second can’t even tell where the defect even is lol!

I think the main issue for me is only ever having used guitars that are meant to come with dings.

Also the facts that I intend to keep this guitar till death do us part combined with the fact it will be my daily driver for practice and gigging means there’s no way in hell this thing is going to stay pristine anyway.

I have a tendency to overthink and obsess about things and I genuinely appreciate you all sharing your thoughts and stories to help bring me down to earth on this.

You can deal with this in two ways. If the shop has a return policy, you could send it back.

Conversely, contact them, explaining your concerns and see what resolution they offer.

Either way, you can’t lose and the second possible solution may result in a wee Brucey bonus for you. You never know unless you try.

Just a thought from a forum brother.

Congrats on your beautiful new guitar and welcome.

You can deal with this in two ways. If the shop has a return policy, you could send it back.

Conversely, contact them, explaining your concerns and see what resolution they offer.

Either way, you can’t lose and the second possible solution may result in a wee Brucey bonus for you. You never know unless you try.

Just a thought from a forum brother.

Congrats on your beautiful new guitar and welcome.

Thank you.

I just emailed them and they have offered to replace it. I have already had one replacement done and at this point am worried about being in an endless loop of replacement lol. One concern I have about a replacement is how I felt the scarf joint when playing on my first one and can't on this one. Is it normal to be able to feel it? I would worry that while maybe I get a new guitar with no flaws, the feel of the neck would not be as good as this one due to the scarf joint.

Thank you.

I just emailed them and they have offered to replace it. I have already had one replacement done and at this point am worried about being in an endless loop of replacement lol. One concern I have about a replacement is how I felt the scarf joint when playing on my first one and can't on this one. Is it normal to be able to feel it? I would worry that while maybe I get a new guitar with no flaws, the feel of the neck would not be as good as this one due to the scarf joint.

That’s a decision for you my friend.

Best of luck to you.

Back