New set up

Bluesboy998

Well been using new set up for about a week have to say this combination is outstanding

Thanks mike it would be nice if prs made a vertical 2/12 most of my friends use two rock or dr z verticals

Definitely love the paisley! The amp front goes really well with the paisley there. Nice.

That looks superlative!

Thanks mike it would be nice if prs made a vertical 2/12 most of my friends use two rock or dr z verticalAWESOME]

no no no! Not unless it had V-30's, an easily removable back, wheels farther out to the corners, casters that weren't so hard that rolling on concrete was torturous, an angle on the upper speaker that was more conducive to standing close to it on small stages...

confession: i have two of the Mesa cabs but neither as sweet looking as that one!

Wastelessness thanks for the compliment I don't have tell you this thing rocks even with my markv25 its huge

Yeah, that cab just gives me a big case of "the wants." ;)

Great cabs, those, and the custom treatment is pretty slick!

Thanks les you definitely need one for your studio,I used my friends two rock cabinet awesome but the boogies top angled speaker makes it more focused on stage and its smaller and easier to transport and the cabinet seems better built to me anyway and the bass and treble response is off the charts,it should even be better when speakers are broken in.

My friend with the two rock cab brought over his DG50 head it sounded so good he ordered the same cab in blond yesterday.If you haven't tryed a DG50 head you owe it to yourself,full bodied beautiful sound Iam going to see if prs will make me a 50 in paisley that will be my next amp its that good.

I'll bet your dg30 and hxda would sound unbelievable with this cab

I'm sure that's true, since they both sounded darn good with my Mesa Recto 212 horizontal cab! However, I agree that a 212 vertical is a great way to go. In fact, I had the Two-Rock 212 vertical cab, great cab, but I preferred the Mesa to it as well - even with my Two-Rocks.

Of course there's a "but" in this response; the PRS 212 cab I've been working with is the DG Custom cab, and it's pine. It has a very different tone from the Mesa's birch ply, a little looser and warmer, and I like it a lot, though not so much with the HXDA. I have a new HXDA30 coming, and we'll see how well that one works with the pine. If it's not so great, I'll order a Mesa cab similar to the one you have.

I love the prs cabinet I just don't like the sound hitting my ankles on stage and putting it on a stand kind of defeats the whole purpose that's why I went vertical

Nice match! I hope to get my hands on one of those Custom 50's someday. The vertical 2x12 must be killer for stage mix, a little more you in your own ear without having to totally blast everyone I presume?

Exactly you hit right on the head the top speaker is right were you need it to be without being to loud we run an am 57 on the bottom portion nothing on the top

I love the prs cabinet I just don't like the sound hitting my ankles on stage and putting it on a stand kind of defeats the whole purpose that's why I went vertical

Well, you have to remember that audio is always a compromise between convenience and fussing the details. Putting a cab on a stand solves a few acoustical problems, especially when recording. Here's what my recording setup looks like for recording a guitar cab:

I always use an Auralex isolation platform and a second Isoacoustics riser on top of that in the studio when I'm recording, so a vertical 212 is a little more difficult to work with for me than a horizontal 212. Both of the risers are in the picture, above. In addition, flanking the speaker cab are ASC tube traps, to further absorb bass resonances and keep the sound from being muddy. If I'm really cranking the amp, I use these as gobos about a foot in front of the speakers.

Yup, looks ugly but the sound is glorious!

I just ordered a set of acoustical gobos that are even more effective at absorbing sound that will replace the tube traps to a degree. Can't wait for them to arrive!

What I accomplish in the studio with these contraptions is: first, avoiding half-space reinforcement caused by speaker reflections off the floor that result from close proximity to it (and that artificially reinforce the bass causing the recording to sound muddy) both speakers need to be raised at least 7-9 inches; second, to minimize vibrations being transmitted from the speaker cab to the structure of the building (these vibrations can be heard on recordings as physical buzzes and noises) the cabinet needs as much physical isolation as possible; and third, having the entire cab (both speakers) tilted back is a good thing.

So while the vertical 212 works great for a gig, or practice, for me it presents additional problems when recording (which is primarily what I do) such as being difficult to mount on platforms and risers without being likely to tip over. That doesn't mean I don't want one - it's still a cool thing to have, but it wouldn't be a primary cab for recording for me. In fact, it's why I bought the horizontal Recto cab instead in the first place.

I concentrate first on my recording gear. It's my livelihood!

Last edited:
Yes makes sense Les but I was referring to playing out I need the sound up top by the way your studio looks awesome.

Yes makes sense Les but I was referring to playing out I need the sound up top by the way your studio looks awesome.

Yes, playing out it's great to have that cab, no doubt about it. Also...not having to bend down to adjust your amp is a great thing, too!

My studio is improving -- the additional acoustic treatment I've ordered for the recording area will help - and I'm going to have new carpet (or possibly flooring) installed this spring, too, and finally eliminate that gray industrial carpet look.

The last touch will be a custom wheeled amp head cabinet for the HXDA 30 and DG 30 heads that I can keep near my workstation, and look good doing it!

Back