New SE A50E - Strings

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitars' started by adhurdler, Apr 11, 2018.

1. adhurdler

adhurdler New Member

I am the proud new owner of a SE A50E. Beautiful guitar.

Does anyone know the strings that come standard on it? Are they D’Addario’s?

Thanks!

2. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Yes they are D'Addario 12-53 gauge

3. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Thanks for the info, Shawn! I'm sure the info is out there for the previous models, but may not be clear for the current line-up that the brand is the usual D'Addario, although 12-53 is listed on the product page(s).

[email protected] likes this.
  4. adhurdler

adhurdler New Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I noticed there are different D’Addario 12-53’s. Are they the the Coated Phospher Bronze EXPs? I like the feel of them some just trying to know for future replacement.

5. Sonnny

Sonnny New Member

Daddario EJ16 12-53

6. adhurdler

adhurdler New Member

I received confirmation this week that it comes with EXP 12-53s.

Has anyone tried the Elixir Nanowebs on this?

7. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I love the EJ26 custom lights.

8. EffFlat

EffFlat New Member

i have a set of Elixir Nanowebs on my new-to-me SE Angelus Custom right now. On my box, I think they have a brighter high end than the EXPs. I liked the D'Addario tone a little better and will switch back next string change.

They're definitely nice strings to play and most folks say the Elixirs last longer, too. I haven't played them enough to comment on that. I can see myself giving the Elixirs another shot in the not-too-distant future because the difference is pretty subtle.

Give 'em a shot and see what you think. I'd like to hear an opinion from another new SE owner.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I don’t have an SE, I have a PS Tonare, but I’ve found I like it best with the D’Addario coated 80/20 Bronze light tops/medium bottoms bluegrass set it came with.

Honestly, I was surprised at what nice strings the D’Addario EXPs are; nothing else I’ve tried has given me a tone I liked as much. The tone is very solid, with a good overtone structure.

They last a long time, too!

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I’m adding to the above post about the D’Addario 80/20s I liked (the guitar came with the EXP version, and it was nice sounding).

D’Addario has changed the core to the NYXL. I think the strings now sound different, and I don’t like them quite as much as the earlier versions, which I can no longer find.

I’ve found the phosphor bronze isn’t my cup of tea with this guitar.

In any case, I’m going to seek out and try other 80/20 bronze strings, and see if I can find a better replacement. I’ll report back.

11. EffFlat

EffFlat New Member

Please do. I'll be listening, at least. I haven't settled on one set either -- currently going back and forth between the 80/20 and coated phosphor D'Addarios (after trying one more set of Elixirs) and I'm leaning towards the Phosphor bronze for the SE. I'd love to hear what's working on the private stock.