New SE 245 Standard?

mitchewr

Has anyone checked out the new SE line? http://www.prsguitars.com/sestandard245/

It looks like they've stripped down the finish options compared to what they were offering 2 years ago when they first redid their SE line (thicker body, added birds, etc). I bought an SE 245 back then and it's an AMAZING guitar, especially for the $$. I ended up getting a deal back then from my Sweetwater rep but now I see that the new price is the same that I got as a 'deal' back then. Have they changed much about these new SE 245 Standards? Anyone play one at all or compare them to the older PRS SE 245 models?

I see that they've added a binding or perfling on the neck, which looks nice.

Ohh, wait...these are different than the regular SE 245...their a 'standard' like the S2 'standard'....more stripped down. Since I only saw these models on both Sweetwater and Musician'sFriend I was thinking that these new 'standard' models replaced the other model.

These are all Mahogany guitars that are being made in Indonesia. My understanding is that the hardware (pups, bridge, etc.) is identical to the current SE line but the new build location in addition to the lack of a maple top allows them to sell at lower prices than even the existing SE equivalents.

^^^ Yes, 'standard' refers more to the fact that the body is all mahogany, no maple top, cap, or veneer. And the neck is mahogany also. They're intended primarily as entry level for new (potential) PRS customers. That said, they are also a super great target for a quality guitar to be modded and save a lot of money. IF one was of a mind to do something like that. Had I not already done that to my new SE... well, we'll never know.... :dontknow:

Back