New SE 245 owner - String Gauge change question

Pretty good chance you'll need to widen the slots a touch.

My new SE C24 is struggling with the stock 9's as a couple of strings are snagging. The slots generally seem to be cut just wide enough for the stock string guage.

.2 mm i wish mine was that low. Just under 1mm and thats with a lot of tweaking. It came at around 1.5mm of action height. Lowered it to a sensible height and got lots of fret buzz so i had to compromise. Thats on a se245 limited edition

.2mm is the neck relief. Fret 1st and last fret measure relief at 8th fret and it is allegedly meant to be .2mm.

I had no relief at all on my mine when I got it. I am slowly tweaking it at the moment but I am past .2mm that's for sure. It is pretty much in line with the relief on my other guitars now and I have reduced the fret buzz considerably.

I am giving serious thought to moving to 10's though so no doubt I will need to back the truss rod off again to compensate for the extra string pull.

I have discovered an issue with the g string on it at present too. It reads in tune on my tuners, both open and fretted at the 12th, the 12th fret harmonic is in tune but the string sounds HORRIBLE. It sounds even more horrible when playing open chords . Open C makes you want to cry.... I am hoping a string change will fix it, if not it could be off to the tech for some nut massage... Or what ever alse needs to be done.....

Last edited:
I have a ibanez rg 1570 which is supposed to super low action for ultra fast shredding but the action is like 2mm at the 12th fret. I like it like that for some reason. Doesn't beat my PRS.

Back