New PRS SE HB II Piezo Issues

lazerdriver

Purchased a new PRS SE HB II Piezo recently and noticed a few issues:

One is the finish on the left side of the neck where it attaches to the body just above the neck pickup...

finish1.jpg

It doesn't look like damage to me, more like the finish is flaking or peeling off. Has anyone seen anything like this before? And is this something PRS could fix under warranty? I think I saw a thread here where someone said they can’t fix finish defect without completely refinishing the guitar. Is that true?

Also, the bird inlays are not flush with the fretboard, the worst are at the 3rd and 5th frets sitting about 1/32" below the fretboard. They get a little better as you go up the fretboard, but none are absolutely flush. These photo is the inlay at the 3rd fret...

I opened a case for the inlay issue. PRS said to ship it to them for evaluation. If it weren't such a nice flamed top on this (and plays really nice too), I would consider returning it. But a lot of the tops on these are kind of plain. Here is a photo of the one I got:

mine.jpg

Here is what a lot of them look like on Reverb:

Capture.jpg

I posted a message about the inlays here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/bird-inlays-not-flush-on-hbii-se.53363/ and someone said sometimes on SE's they will just opt to replace the guitar instead of repair. I REALLY don't want to do that considering the variation in the flame tops. Especially if they just ship me one straight from the warehouse without me seeing it first.

I had the option to return it or get a partial refund, with the latter feeling like the better option. But i am on the fence about sending it to PRS for evaluation / service. Just a little worried they might opt replace it with one not as nice, instead of repair it. I've been stalking this model and color for over a year and hate the idea of going through all that again. Do either of these issues look fixable? Or has anyone had experience with service for issues like this?

Also noticed the piezo is a bit distorted on the clean setting on my amp. I saw a thread here that showed a trim pot for potentially fixing that. The piezo is not noticeably louder than the humbuckers, just not as clean as I would expect. Does that still sound like it could be fixed with a trim pot tweak?

Last edited:
Trim pot tweak should help if it’s distorting at the piezo and not at the amp. Do you have something else you can run the signal through? If it distorts through another amp, that would make it pretty clear. If it’s easy to adjust the trim pot, why not try it?

Maybe I will try tweaking the trim pot, assuming it doesn’t void the warranty. Or maybe I’ll just have them look at it if I go decide to send it to them for the other issues. I have another piezo guitar and it sounds totally clean with this amp. I do have another rig I can try it with too.

Maybe I will try tweaking the trim pot, assuming it doesn’t void the warranty. Or maybe I’ll just have them look at it if I go decide to send it to them for the other issues. I have another piezo guitar and it sounds totally clean with this amp. I do have another rig I can try it with too.
Haven't needed to adjust it myself, but I believe there are 6 individual trims for each string of the Piezo. Definitely will not affect your warranty, that's what they're there for - tweak away!

As for the finish and inlays, that's tougher. If you like everything else about it, and the low inlays don't interfere with your playing, I'd be inclined to take the partial refund and just keep it. You can find out what they say when they get it, but I agree PRS is most likely to just replace it entirely rather than repair. And you run the risk of paying to ship it back and forth for nothing if you're not going to ultimately want them to replace it.

Definitely disappointing for a new instrument, but you're right that the veneers do vary quite a bit and the chance you'd get another one so nice is at best 50-50

I have had some email conversations with PTC. They said the inlay problem can be fixed. But they said the finish issue cannot (or at least they could not refinish it). Here is what they said about the finish problem:

To determine the cause of the flaking we would require the guitar to be physically here at the PTC. The finish is not repairable as we do not refinish SE models as the finishing process differs from the USA models.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, so I think at least I would like to get the inlays fixed or replaced. I guess I can live with the finish issue if I have to, although I would like that fixed if possible even if they can't completely refinish it due to it being an SE (whatever that means). Maybe they can do some kind of touch up on it?

I have had some email conversations with PTC. They said the inlay problem can be fixed. But they said the finish issue cannot. Here is what they said about the finish:

To determine the cause of the flaking we would require the guitar to be physically here at the PTC. The finish is not repairable as we do not refinish SE models as the finishing process differs from the USA models.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, so I think at least I would like to get the inlays fixed or replaced. I guess I can live with the finish issue, although I would like that fixed if possible even if they can't completely refinish it due to it being an SE (whatever that means). Maybe they can do some kind of touch up on it?
One problem with refinishing SE's is the thinness of the flame maple veneer - the sanding required to remove all the finish would almost certainly cut through the veneer, at least in some spots

One problem with refinishing SE's is the thinness of the flame maple veneer - the sanding required to remove all the finish would almost certainly cut through the veneer, at least in some spots
The SE veneers are thinner than a piece of paper. There is a video where Jack Higginbotham shows the veneer application process and mention just how thin the veneers are. Also, PRS can't fix that neck crack - there is no way to touch-up a poly finish and make it seamless. Most likely, they would take that guitar to the bandsaw - quarter it - and trash it. They would send you a new SE replacement.

The output on my piezo was hotter than the magnetic pickups, and it was easy to adjust. I did note a second pot on the board (on the flip side of where the output pot is)—does anyone know what that does? I’ll post a separate thread with pics the next time I’m in there and can pull the board out.

My flamed top is like the “meh” example above, but everything else is in fine shape, with no finish or fretboard issues. Guess I’ll count my blessings! Hopefully PRS will sort things out for you on the inlays without undue delay, or find you a replacement with an equally nice top.

The SE veneers are thinner than a piece of paper. There is a video where Jack Higginbotham shows the veneer application process and mention just how thin the veneers are. Also, PRS can't fix that neck crack - there is no way to touch-up a poly finish and make it seamless. Most likely, they would take that guitar to the bandsaw - quarter it - and trash it. They would send you a new SE replacement.
Wow! They must be making an extreme profit on these to trash the whole guitar over finish issues. What do you suppose it costs them to make one of these? Maybe $300?

The output on my piezo was hotter than the magnetic pickups, and it was easy to adjust. I did note a second pot on the board (on the flip side of where the output pot is)—does anyone know what that does? I’ll post a separate thread with pics the next time I’m in there and can pull the board out.

My flamed top is like the “meh” example above, but everything else is in fine shape, with no finish or fretboard issues. Guess I’ll count my blessings! Hopefully PRS will sort things out for you on the inlays without undue delay, or find you a replacement with an equally nice top.
Yeah I tweaked it a little because it was quite a bit hotter than the humbuckers. If I get it back maybe I’ll try tweaking it more. Kind of a difficult bugger to get out of there with all the strain relief. I was afraid I was going to break something the first time I did it.

And sorry, didnt mean to knock anybody’s SE’s. The flame tops do vary quite a bit, just the way it is. Probably can’t have too high expectations on that for an SE.

And sorry, didnt mean to knock anybody’s SE’s. The flame tops do vary quite a bit, just the way it is. Probably can’t have too high expectations on that for an SE.

Oh, I didn’t take it that way at all—they absolutely do vary and yours looks great. I got my son a used SE Custom 24 (made in Korea era) and it has a beautiful top. I got my Hollowbody on Craigslist and decided it was worth ignoring the not so stellar veneer (and a wee bit of soldering work to fix the battery wires that were coming loose) in return for the good price. I enjoy playing it and like being able to dial in some of the Piezo even when using the magnetic pickups, in addition to getting an acoustic-esque sound with the Piezo alone. Hope you get yours back soon and can enjoy!

Back