New PRS SE Custom 24 - Lower-E Fret Buzz

guitartgv

Hi

I buy a new PRS SE Custom 24 and when I first play it in acoustic I've got a fret buzz in the Lower E. Can this affect the sound or sustain of the guitar ? How can I fix this ?

Turned to my pedalboard and amp the guitar sounds very good, I think that the neck pickup is a little too hot, not well defined for certain rhythms styles (Strat style), the bridge pickup sounds very good. I'm not using trem, so no problems with tuning, great sustain and fretboard action.

Thanks

Suggestion: Press down on the E string that buzzes on the last fret or where it buzzes. Take a piece of paper about 1" wide and 3" long and slip it between the strings and the frets. Run it up and down the neck and determine if the clearance is too small. Then check for the buzz on the pickup. Maybe the pickup is too high. If the volume level is too high; that might be a clue. Just lower the pickup a bit to the volume or level you want. I suggest about 1/8" to a 1/4" or 6- 10mm. You'll get plenty of volume while getting more sustain the farther the pickup is from the string.

Just some suggestions. Raising and lowering the bridge may work, but you'll sacrifice more finger pressure to keep the buzz away from the fret being played, if the bridge is raised. Also check the neck for being bowed a bit. If bend is in the wrong direction, that can produce a buzz. If that's the problem, the truss rod should be adjusted.

If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, take the guitar to a good shop that does repairs under warranty for PRS and have them check it out and to the adjustments.

Good Luck...

Does it buzz when no fret is pressed? That's one particular problem. If not, or in addition, at what other fret does it buzz, and if at a range of frets, what range? It could be a high fret, an action issue, a nut issue, a relief issue, a high pickup, a buzzing bridge or tuner--give us as much detail as you can.

Last edited:
Does it buzz when no fret is pressed? That's one particular problem. If not, or in addition, at what other fret does it buzz, and if at a range of frets, what range? It could be a high fret, an action issue, a nut issue, a relief issue, a high pickup, a buzzing bridge or tuner--give us as much detail as you can.

Yes, it buzz when no fret is pressed and it happens more in Low E string. I think that action is too low so I made a little adjustment counter clockwise to the truss rod and reduced the buzz in all the string, now the buzz happens only in lower E string. I think that the tuners and pickups are ok, don't see any hight frets..

The buzz happens in the second fret of the lower E, I think the height of the bridge and strings is well calibrated..

If it buzzes when no fret is pressed, and when fretted as well, then either the action is so low it is affecting the open note, which is unlikely, the neck is very back bowed, or there's a sympathetic string buzz in the bridge or tuner. When you hold the low e string down at the first fret and 14th fret, does the string make contact with the seventh fret? Or is there a little gap?

Silly question, are you down tuning the low E? If so, have you compensated with a heavier string? And, what is the space between the top of he 12th fret and the bottom of the e string at that fret?

Press the low E down at the first (With a capo if needs be) and the last fret. Around the 7th or 8th fret there should be a small gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. Say the thickness of the B string as an example. You might find the gap on the bass side is slightly more than the treble side. No gap and you need to adjust the truss rod so that there is. Same if you see too much of a gap.

How much clearance / relief / action you need is dependant on your playing style. For instance, I tend to go a little higher with a little more relief due to the way I play. I do get a little buzz sometimes but it's acceptable as long as it isn't amplified. Other people could play my guitar without any buzz whatsoever and vice versa.

It's also very possible the nut slot for that string is too low. Press down at the 3rd fret and there should be a small amount of clearance between the 1st and second frets and the string.

Best of luck.

Press the low E down at the first (With a capo if needs be) and the last fret. Around the 7th or 8th fret there should be a small gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. Say the thickness of the B string as an example. You might find the gap on the bass side is slightly more than the treble side. No gap and you need to adjust the truss rod so that there is. Same if you see too much of a gap.

Thanks for all for the tips, I solve the problem, the action was too low, I had to adjust the truss rod.

adjusting the truss rod isn't the way to raise action. That is done at the saddles. When wood expands and contracts, it will affect the neck. When you adjusted the truss rod, it moved the strings away from the lower frets. Once you have the guitar set to your liking and it may buzz at a later date, check the neck relief. Betcha it is now too low. Leave the saddles alone. Once set, they dont change.

Back