New PRS owner - 2013 Custom 22

trailwinder

Hello there,

Just bought my first PRS a 2013 Custom 22, Black Gold, stop tail with VB and HFS pickups. Full disclosure I've been long time Gibson play (Les Paul and 335) for years I swore I'd never buy a PRS guitars, they just seemed soulless and precious but the CU22 changed my opinion!! Without question the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. The neck is fantastic, the body is so light and comfortable, it just feels amazing to play. I think the biggest challenge for me is to get used to the voice of the guitar, while it has humbuckers its nothing like what I'm used to. At first I kept comparing it, but am now starting to think that there is a unique PRS voice. The HFS is just killer for gain (through my Orange OR50 and 2x12 cab it just smokes). The VB is the clearest pickup I've ever heard, not exactly warm but has a nice mid focus, but totally different than what I'm used to. Overall while I like the VB pickup I do find it a little cold and bright. I don't know if that's just me comparing it to what I'm used to. I'm reluctant to go down the new pickup route (I hear 57/08's are nice) as maybe I just need to spend more time dialling in the sound. How did others new to PRS find the break in period?

Style wise I play Blues, Soul/Jazz, Classic/Southern Rock, even some twangy stuff.

Trailwinder. I think you just ruined the whole experience for me.

I've been playing PRSes since 1991, and have always enjoyed their soulless and overly precious qualities. And now you're telling me that they actually sound good, play well, and have their own unique voice?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Just do me a favor and don't try a PRS amp, because I don't want to know that mine are actually amazing sounding, OK? Just let me enjoy their lack of soul and precious face plates in peace.

;)

Oh, and, welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Trailwinder. I think you just ruined the whole experience for me.

I've been playing PRSes since 1991, and have always enjoyed their soulless and overly precious qualities. And now you're telling me that they actually sound good, play well, and have their own unique voice?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Just do me a favor and don't try a PRS amp, because I don't want to know that mine are actually amazing sounding, OK? Just let me enjoy their lack of soul and precious face plates in peace.

;)

Oh, and, welcome to the club!

I wasn't dissing, just saying that WAS my impression, but hey I was wrong that was my whole point, I love the guitar as I said best playing guitar I've ever owned. But it has it's own thing and when your ears are used to a certain vibe or tone its an adjustment, that's not bad, just different. I was simply asking how others found the break in period. Some guitars you find that sweet spot instantly, others take time.

As you said, these guitars very much have a voice of their own.....all guitars do, really. One Custom 22 with HFS and VB pickups can sound different from another Custom 22 with the exact same specifications. Really, it does come down to finding that voice within your guitar.

One of my absolute favorite things about PRS guitars, along with their superior feel and amazing looks, is their responsiveness to the tone and volume knobs on the guitar itself. Switching from one brand to another will most definitely take some time to get used to but I, without a doubt, am certain you will find the tone (or more-so "tones") you're looking for in that guitar. Keep playing it and see how well backing off a little on the tone knob will voice the guitar. When playing with a lot of gain or distortion, watch how backing off the volume will clean your tone up. Now, of course some of this tone will rely on the amp, but there is A LOT of middle ground within these guitars and, to answer your original question, yes - I believe there is a period of time in which a player will become more familiar with their guitar, thus strengthening your bond with that particular instrument.

Another thing I've noticed with my personal guitars is that they also only improve with age. As you play them throughout their life, you'll notice more resonance and tonal characters that weren't there before. It's a bit hard to describe in words, but it's there. Keep rocking that thing....put it through the paces and keep doing it, messing with the volume and tone knobs, see what all you can bring out of that guitar...to me it's one of the best parts of getting a new guitar.

Good luck and congrats!!!!

Last edited:
I wasn't dissing, just saying that WAS my impression, but hey I was wrong that was my whole point, I love the guitar as I said best playing guitar I've ever owned. But it has it's own thing and when your ears are used to a certain vibe or tone its an adjustment, that's not bad, just different. I was simply asking how others found the break in period. Some guitars you find that sweet spot instantly, others take time.

I know, I was kidding around (hence the winkie emoticon)!

Glad you're on board!

I was a dyed in the wool Gibson guy for many years.

Back