New PRS for the second time

Robert Kortekamp

I bought my first PRS around the year 2000. It’s now been three days (from today) and 21 years later that I bought my second PRS.

I did a lot of research this time around, being more particular about exactly what style of PRS I was interested in. I took a look at all the lines of PRS but most specifically the ones that were inside my price range.

I decided that I wanted a 100% USA made guitar. One factor that led me to this decision was considering the longevity of the instrument. USA parts are just known to generally last longer.

With this in mind, I decided to move forward from the SE line and look directly at the S2 and CE models.

Then I discovered that some S2 parts are made oversees and then shipped into the USA for use in assembly? (just something I had read) This I was just going to keep in mind going forward.

I went to our local shop and tried out a couple PRS in my price range. I decided after some deliberation that I just preferred the sound of the PRS CE24 over the S2 models. I asked the salesperson about the guitars and he was very informative. He was able to enlighten me more onto what I had already discovered. He said that the CE had a higher grade of pickup installed than the S2 Custom. Whether or not this is completely true idk, but I do know I preferred the sound of the CE.

With this being understood, there were no other guitars in my price range that could match my expectations, so I asked about the NEW PRS CE 24 they had in stock. There were only 2 others and one of the others was there on the shelf alongside the one I had just played. Only one looked like exactly what I was looking for though, so I asked about that one and I was told it had come in just a week ago. It was the only guitar I had picked up on two separate visits to this same store and turned out to be the exact one I bought.

I will say that I could not be happier with my new CE24. It is a guitar that just feels like home every time I pick it up and then takes me anywhere I want to go. Thanks PRS.

Last edited:
I bought my first PRS around the year 2000. It’s now been three days (from today) and 21 years later that I bought my second PRS.

I did a lot of research this time around, being more particular about exactly what style of PRS I was interested in. I took a look at all the lines of PRS but most specifically the ones that were inside my price range.

I decided that I wanted a 100% USA made guitar. One factor that led me to this decision was considering the longevity of the instrument. USA parts are just known to generally last longer.

With this in mind, I decided to move forward from the SE line and look directly at the S2 and CE models.

Then I discovered that some S2 parts are made oversees and then shipped into the USA for use in assembly? (just something I had read) This I was just going to keep in mind going forward.

I went to our local shop and tried out a couple PRS in my price range. I decided after some deliberation that I just preferred the sound of the PRS CE24 over the S2 models. I asked the salesperson about the guitars and he was very informative. He was able to enlighten me more onto what I had already discovered. He said that the CE had a higher grade of pickup installed than the S2 Custom. Whether or not this is completely true idk, but I do know I preferred the sound of the CE.

With this being understood, there were no other guitars in my price range that could match my expectations, so I asked about the NEW PRS CE 24 they had in stock. There were only 2 others and one of the others was there on the shelf alongside the one I had just played. Only one looked like exactly what I was looking for though, so I asked about that one and I was told it had come in just a week ago. It was the only guitar I had picked up on two separate visits to this same store and turned out to be the exact one I bought.

I will say that I could not be happier with my new CE24. It is a guitar that just feels like home every time I pick it up and then takes me anywhere I want to go. Thanks PRS.
That’s awesome. Congrats on your second, and welcome to the forum.

Hi, Bob,

More PRS fans are turning towards the CE line because of their increasing presence in both the used and new market. CEs are commanding higher prices as a result, so it makes good sense to ride that bubble while prices are still within people's range. I think that as more folks return to work as more receive their stimulus checks and Covid shots, they may be a surge of buying that might be encouraging to dealers and sellers.

My only concern is that if one does not cultivate good habits of preventive maintenance and saving, it could impact your wallet significantly.

This forum is filled with folks who enjoy spending their hard-earned cash on guitar and while we welcome that, we're reminded that it's wise to have priorities. You may be happy with the CE for a while but the novelty may wear off and you might be dissatisfied with the status quo. That will lead to selling and buying again. We alway grow hungry and thirsty; and we always visit the grocers for food.

This is the basis for the entire economy; our human nature always desires something new and different and is never satisfied with the same old thing.

I'm just hoping that your CE will keep you happy for the time, and that you not desire something else immediately, as many people often do.

Anyway, enough of the diatribe. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new guitar. :)

Good choice! If you feel the need to swap the trem for a USA one from John Mann...it's always an option too! I have a couple buddies that have had CEs for a while and don't feel the need to mess with them.

Nice, Robert!

Congrats, man! I absolutely love my CE24. The honeymoon phase has been over for a long time and I’m still impressed with my CE every time I play it.

Hi, Bob,

More PRS fans are turning towards the CE line because of their increasing presence in both the used and new market. CEs are commanding higher prices as a result, so it makes good sense to ride that bubble while prices are still within people's range. I think that as more folks return to work as more receive their stimulus checks and Covid shots, they may be a surge of buying that might be encouraging to dealers and sellers.

My only concern is that if one does not cultivate good habits of preventive maintenance and saving, it could impact your wallet significantly.

This forum is filled with folks who enjoy spending their hard-earned cash on guitar and while we welcome that, we're reminded that it's wise to have priorities. You may be happy with the CE for a while but the novelty may wear off and you might be dissatisfied with the status quo. That will lead to selling and buying again. We alway grow hungry and thirsty; and we always visit the grocers for food.

This is the basis for the entire economy; our human nature always desires something new and different and is never satisfied with the same old thing.

I'm just hoping that your CE will keep you happy for the time, and that you not desire something else immediately, as many people often do.

Anyway, enough of the diatribe. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new guitar. :)
Seriously, why would you post this in someone’s NGD thread?
You didn’t do it in yours.

Congrats and welcome! The CE is a great guitar and you made a wise choice. The rep in store was right about the pickups. It has US pickups instead of Korean pickups. You probably have the 85/15 pickups which are perfect in a CE. Enjoy!

Hi, Bob,

He bought ONE PRS in 21 years.......UMMM why this comment...wrong thread. Go post this in my NGD thread...I lost count how many guitars i bought and sold during the COVID year.

First off @Robert Kortekamp congrats on the CE purchase, there great guitars, may you play it in good health for many years. As for the comment from candidpicker - what a self righteous and sanctimonious statement to make in someone ngd. I thought the only cork sniffers were over on the Mylespaul forum? He seems like he's down on CE's just because hes got a core McCarty?
At the end of the day we should be encouraging and welcoming new owner not putting down their choices and hinting that they'll soon get bored of their choices. Yes the last year has been tough but that should make us celebrate all the more as a forum.

Last edited:
Groovetastic, congratulations and enjoy! If I buy a second PRS it will likely be a CE as well. (Although I occasionally look for older Swamp Ash Specials).

As for the other discussion (and ditto the why-would-someone-post-that? comments), I last bought a guitar ten years ago, I think. All of them are special to me and have been played a lot. And I found each in much the same way: researching, trying out a few, and picking one I think I'll be happy with for a long time.

Congrats! I really like the CE as you get a much nicer carve than the SE or the S2 plus a bolt-on neck (which I’m a fan of).

The pickups are the US versions, while the trem and tuners are not. Personally I don’t think it matters in the slightest though. I’ve had plenty of guitars with a two piece trem and no issues with tone/sustain etc.

My only issue with the CE is not being able to decide which colour to get!

Congrats on the CE24. I bought my first prs a few months ago... a semi hollow CE24 in trampas green, love it. Then, I scratched another itch and got a Core Mccarty 594 SC.

Buy, sell, do whatever is right for you. Enjoy!

Back