New PRS cases!

I wasn't trying to tell you what's, what... that's why I said, "AFIK". As I mentioned earlier, I haven't flown since before 9/11.

But I do know there is a distinction between TSA vs ATA, and just wanted to put that out there for people who didn't know.

Since you know about TSA requirements, is a lock even required?

I assume TSA doesn't require a lock, but it's hardly in anyone's best interest not to have one considering the reputation of U.S. airports. There have been numerous documented cases of TSA or airline employees stealing items from luggage, but not the entire suitcase. It used to be that airlines would only cover up to $600 per case regardless of the contents. I'm not sure if this is still true, as I seem to recall someone winning a court battle with them over it finally. I can totally see my case showing up empty at the luggage return and the airlines saying "well... we'll give you $600 for it....".

OK so the case finally arrived. The D2 model for sure fits the CU 24-08 very well. I have to kind of push the lower bout into the case because it is very snug. No perceived movement of the guitar inside the case with the lid closed.

As for it not having locks, I have a locking ATA case that my PRSi fit in. The core case also locks. I don't personally plan on flying with my core anywhere, but I do take it places and I prefer to keep the stock case is good shape and scuff up this case when I'm gigging or going to a friends house to play. And let's face it, if you lock you guitar in a case and either lose the key or someone else steals it, it is not that difficult to get the guitar out with the right tools. If I were flying, I'd want a lock for sure, but a lock isn't going to save your guitar from getting stolen at a gig if you are just gonna leave it sitting somewhere unattended.

To each their own though. I haven't had a chance to really look the case over as my wife is having a hand surgery today, but it seems like a pretty nice case for the $$$.

And I haven't had a chance to talk to my SW rep yet, but will call to confirm fit and see if they have found out any more about the differences between the D2 and D1 models.

It would have been nice to have it fit a little tighter in the upper bout or horn area of the body. It would have been awesome if they made one for a single cut and one for a double cut that fit the body snug all the way around. The old, old, cases used to have specific cases for single cuts and double cuts.

I just noticed that the latches do have pass throughs for very small locks. I'm not sure that it would take a whole lot to just break them by force.

My biggest complaint about the case so far is that my PRS leather strap doesn't really fit in either compartment. I mean, I can get it in there but it's very very tight.

I just noticed that the latches do have pass throughs for very small locks. I'm not sure that it would take a whole lot to just break them by force.

My biggest complaint about the case so far is that my PRS leather strap doesn't really fit in either compartment. I mean, I can get it in there but it's very very tight.

That looks like it is designed for a zip tie to run through there instead of a lock. You may be able to find a lock that uses a steel cable that may fit through there.

While looking for a case for an S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow, I stumbled upon these new ATA cases on Sweetwater. By the time I got home to measure my guitar to cross reference the dimensions, the listings were gone!

I spoke with my Sweetwater Sales Engineer and put in a preorder- they will start shipping in May.

I also reached out to PRS to clarify which model would be a better fit for my guitar, this is the info they gave me (great customer service, they got back to me very quickly):

"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. For your S2 Singlecut Semi Hollow you would want the D1 style ATA case, which is designed to fit PRS classic-perimeter body shapes and Singlecut designs (core, Bolt-On, S2, SE). The D2 ATA case would be more for our slab-body models, like the NF53, Silver Sky, Fiore, and Myles Kennedy. I hope you find this information helpful."

"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. For your S2 Singlecut Semi Hollow you would want the D1 style ATA case, which is designed to fit PRS classic-perimeter body shapes and Singlecut designs (core, Bolt-On, S2, SE). The D2 ATA case would be more for our slab-body models, like the NF53, Silver Sky, Fiore, and Myles Kennedy. I hope you find this information helpful."
Great info. Sticky worthy.

That looks like it is designed for a zip tie to run through there instead of a lock. You may be able to find a lock that uses a steel cable that may fit through there.
@deathworlder noted the (Sweetwater?) description:

"Lastly, this case’s biggest innovation is a proprietary latch system that facilitates near-instant access on-demand using mechanics inspired by zip ties. This system not only provides TSA and airport overseers with rapid access, but also renders the case virtually impervious to accidental unlocks for any reason!"

Also...it appears these have disappeared from the Sweetwater website, and I can't find them anywhere now. Maybe they got released by Sweetwater "too early"? And other online listings (Reverb, etc) have "ended", with product no longer available.

🤨

Update on the D1 Molded ATA case:
I received my new ATA Molded Multi-Fit case from Sweetwater a couple days ago. My Sweetwater rep told me it wouldn’t ship out until May, but it shipped immediately.

He said he can’t get any info on why the listing isn’t live, but they got em and they’ll ship them to you if you reach out directly. Ask for Edward Vigen, he’s efficient.

I just checked and they do have listing for a D2 demo model at a 10% discount at the moment. The specs in the photo were exactly the same as the ones for the D1 though?

As for the case, it’s great. VERY light! Well made, sturdy. They didn’t skimp on quality. One thing that I noticed in the photos was the exterior strip of metal with the bird logo looked flimsy, but it is not. It’s a solid slab of metal, classy.

I wasn’t sure about the fit for my 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow at first though. The outer dimensions were perfect, the case hugs the body perfectly without squeezing it. The lining is very plush and thick. But the neck didn’t sit perfectly flush into the neck cradle and there was a slight gap below the neck block heel and the bottom of the upper bout. There was definitely a little see saw action going on.

But the lid has great cutouts to protect the top of the guitar (and a well designed pillow to put just a little pressure on the top bottom of the guitar, right in the middle of the lower bouts) so I figured it’d be safe to test my theory. Which was that if I left it in the case for a couple days, the thick padding would compress enough in the right spots for the body to lay flat.

Sure enough it did, the case molded right around the guitar. Fits perfectly now, no see-saw action. At first I figured if it didn’t work it’d still be a great case for home storage/humidity control. Maybe around town now and again. Now I’d definitely feel comfortable flying with it, or shipping.

Because of the recessed spots on the lid I still don’t see any indication that any of the hardware is being pushed upon. I can barely see where the toggle switch hits the lid and that’s probably only because I’m looking for it.

Headstock protection is great. I would post pictures, but it seems the only way to do that is through a separate app like YouTube or Facebook?

Anyway, I highly recommend grabbing this case if you’re lucky enough to have a 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. I bet it would work great for all the others with similar dimensions as well 🤘

Update on the D1 Molded ATA case:
I received my new ATA Molded Multi-Fit case from Sweetwater a couple days ago. My Sweetwater rep told me it wouldn’t ship out until May, but it shipped immediately.

He said he can’t get any info on why the listing isn’t live, but they got em and they’ll ship them to you if you reach out directly. Ask for Edward Vigen, he’s efficient.

I just checked and they do have listing for a D2 demo model at a 10% discount at the moment. The specs in the photo were exactly the same as the ones for the D1 though?

As for the case, it’s great. VERY light! Well made, sturdy. They didn’t skimp on quality. One thing that I noticed in the photos was the exterior strip of metal with the bird logo looked flimsy, but it is not. It’s a solid slab of metal, classy.

I wasn’t sure about the fit for my 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow at first though. The outer dimensions were perfect, the case hugs the body perfectly without squeezing it. The lining is very plush and thick. But the neck didn’t sit perfectly flush into the neck cradle and there was a slight gap below the neck block heel and the bottom of the upper bout. There was definitely a little see saw action going on.

But the lid has great cutouts to protect the top of the guitar (and a well designed pillow to put just a little pressure on the top bottom of the guitar, right in the middle of the lower bouts) so I figured it’d be safe to test my theory. Which was that if I left it in the case for a couple days, the thick padding would compress enough in the right spots for the body to lay flat.

Sure enough it did, the case molded right around the guitar. Fits perfectly now, no see-saw action. At first I figured if it didn’t work it’d still be a great case for home storage/humidity control. Maybe around town now and again. Now I’d definitely feel comfortable flying with it, or shipping.

Because of the recessed spots on the lid I still don’t see any indication that any of the hardware is being pushed upon. I can barely see where the toggle switch hits the lid and that’s probably only because I’m looking for it.

Headstock protection is great. I would post pictures, but it seems the only way to do that is through a separate app like YouTube or Facebook?

Anyway, I highly recommend grabbing this case if you’re lucky enough to have a 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. I bet it would work great for all the others with similar dimensions as well 🤘

https://postimages.org/

Back