New Pickup Ideas for New PRS

Bowtiefanatc

Confirmed Bird Snob
Hi everyone,

After my first official PRS purchase I got the bug really bad and tracked down a Standard Satin 24 with bird inlays that was actually local to me.

I'm planning on sending it to PTC for a refinish and I was thinking about swapping the pickups out and putting in some 59/09. Since I'm not super familiar with them I was wondering how they might sound in an all hog PRS vs say a Custom 24 with a maple top. Current pickups are Dragon II in the neck and Tremonti in the Bridge, who knows I might just keep them as is :)

Thank you for the help!

I currently have Vintage Bass & HFS in my CU24 Brazilian. I figured 59/09 would be a nice option for the Standard 24. I'm going to get it refinished in Powder Blue like Tim Mahoney's Tiki Blue. I love how that one looks :)

I really like the 59/09s better, but I can't wait to see how the guitar turns out in any case!

I had 59/09s in a DGT Standard and it slayed. Very versatile, could do rock and metal tones with the right amp.

I'll vouch for the 59/09s as well. Even though I like other pickups better, mathing the 59/09s with an all hog guitar will give you a great allround sound like others have mentioned here. You'll have a very versatile guitar. I think your current pickup set is not bad at all, but it depends on the style(s) of music you want to do with your guitar.

I definitely like the current setup, but for what I want for this guitar I think the 59/09 will be better. I will definitely keep the current setup for another guitar down the road. Maybe a Single Cut :)

Well I ended up picking up the Dragon II Treble pickup from the guy I bought the guitar from, great guy and we talked a ton about guitars and PRS.

I don't feel how others do about the D2s, I really dig the tone from these pickups and am glad that I went with them :)

Back