New Member; TCI PU Question

JMeg8237

I'm on the cusp of purchasing my first PRS, and I'm jumping in with both feet. I've played a few in stores over the years but never owned one. I'm recently retired, don't gig, but I jam with some friends on a weekly basis, and have time so I'm playing a lot more now, and the CFO has basically offered me one as a retirement gift. Honestly, there's no question in my mind I'll be purchasing a far better guitar than I really need, but what the hell. When I die, unless my hearse will be towing a U-Haul trailer, I can't "take it with me."

Can someone help me understand the similarities or differences between the TCI pickups used in Paul's Guitar versus the 85/25 versus the 58/15 LT? Right now I'm leaning toward a guitar that has the 58/15 LTs, but there are aspects of Paul's Guitar that I like. I've seen the demo video of the TCIs that sound good to me, and the reality is my ears probably won't be able to discern a big difference, but I'd just like to understand what I'm buying. Thanks for any info.

John

Congratulations on your retirement. I have a Paul’s, 594, 24-08, and a Westie. Beside having all of them having different pickups, mine have different scale length, neck size, and bridges. I don’t have a number one. On any given day I like the sound best on a different one. There are certain things that I like about each one the most though.

Given the chance you should try a few out to see what you like best. I bought blind but have been really happy and zero buyers remorse.

It’s hard to describe in words how something sounds, and since it’s also quite subjective it’s always best to try them out before buying.

I’ve bought blind and not been disappointed, however that’s just because I didn’t have anything to compare it to! That particular guitar (with 85/15S pickups) sounds absolutely fine. I like it anyway, and that’s all that counts.

Next time around I was able to play a few guitars and bought the one I preferred the sound of, equipped with 58/15 LT+ pickups (which I only looked up AFTER I bought it). If I were to try to describe the sound, it’s warm and rich, not remotely harsh or ‘twangy’ but with plenty of clarity.

Good luck with your search.

I'm on the cusp of purchasing my first PRS, and I'm jumping in with both feet. I've played a few in stores over the years but never owned one. I'm recently retired, don't gig, but I jam with some friends on a weekly basis, and have time so I'm playing a lot more now, and the CFO has basically offered me one as a retirement gift. Honestly, there's no question in my mind I'll be purchasing a far better guitar than I really need, but what the hell. When I die, unless my hearse will be towing a U-Haul trailer, I can't "take it with me."

Can someone help me understand the similarities or differences between the TCI pickups used in Paul's Guitar versus the 85/25 versus the 58/15 LT? Right now I'm leaning toward a guitar that has the 58/15 LTs, but there are aspects of Paul's Guitar that I like. I've seen the demo video of the TCIs that sound good to me, and the reality is my ears probably won't be able to discern a big difference, but I'd just like to understand what I'm buying. Thanks for any info.

John

IMO, try before you buy. I have the 35th Anniversary SE with the TCI S pickups. It sounds great. My only complaint is that it's not shielded (I guess they don't shield their guitars in general.)

I think all current PRS Core models are equipped with TCI pickups. They sound great, but so do the earlier ones.

It probably makes the pickups more consistently like the prototypes that Paul approved. It's not like there's any particular magic going on - they're just more in spec by being tuned and measured to specific numbers.

I could be wrong on this, but that's my understanding.

It's hard to argue with a great guitar, regardless of what the pickups are called. I wouldn't necessarily rule out the earlier pickups, if you find a guitar that floats your boat. Incidentally, I have TCI pickups, and love the guitar they're on but fully acknowledge that my non-TCI guitars are awesome as well.

Basically, you can't screw this up.

Back