New CE owner - bridge question

J.P.

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I've only been a PRS owner for 2 days - it's a pre-owned 2021 CE24.

My question is about the bridge, and namely that the back (saddle end) of it is hard against the guitar rather than floating. I've looked around the forum to see if there are similar questions and found a likely topic but unfortunately the photo links weren't working. I don't think I can post a photo in the forum yet but can hopefully follow up with one if needed.

My questions are:
1. Am I right in thinking that the guitar comes out of the factory with the bridge floating, not "docked"?
2. Is having it "docked" a valid choice, or should be avoided? I'm assuming it's probably damaging (has already damaged) the nitro finish?
3. How easy is it change to floating if I want to? Please note - I struggled re-setting the bridge on a strat copy after taking out a spring to make it easier to use, so don't assume any level of technical competence... luckily, I do know a guitar tech.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to getting to grips with this awesome instrument :)

Cheers, J.P.

Yes it should be floating. I have a 2016 CE24 and that’s the way it was set up. Check for bridge bite, which might have caused some dents in the finish. It’s no rocket science to get it back floating, it will take you 5min. Just loosen the screws that hold the spring claw in place, then re-tune the guitar and repeat the process till the bridge is parallel to the body.

IMG-7184.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I've just joined the forum as I've only been a PRS owner for 2 days - it's a pre-owned 2021 CE24.

My question is about the bridge, and namely that the back (saddle end) of it is hard against the guitar rather than floating. I've looked around the forum to see if there are similar questions and found a likely topic but unfortunately the photo links weren't working. I don't think I can post a photo in the forum yet but can hopefully follow up with one if needed.

My questions are:
1. Am I right in thinking that the guitar comes out of the factory with the bridge floating, not "docked"?
2. Is having it "docked" a valid choice, or should be avoided? I'm assuming it's probably damaging (has already damaged) the nitro finish?
3. How easy is it change to floating if I want to? Please note - I struggled re-setting the bridge on a strat copy after taking out a spring to make it easier to use, so don't assume any level of technical competence... luckily, I do know a guitar tech.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to getting to grips with this awesome instrument :)

Cheers, J.P.

Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, the term is "decked", not "docked". i.e. the tremolo unit has been pulled all the way "down to the deck", the deck being the top of the guitar.

Dumb question from someone used to all the pegs being on the same side of the headstock... I tune the left side pegs anti-clockwise and the right side pegs clockwise I think, so that all the strings are coming up to the pegs from the middle of the neck not the outside?

Ok I'm done - thanks for your help everyone!

It looks a little bit high but WAY better than before. I'll need to let the strings settle a bit more before I can guarantee that it's staying in tune... And I probably need to check the intonation now as well?

For now though, a happy new owner, thanks again for the support 🙂

If you want it decked, you need to block it so it sits about where it would if it's floating properly.

I don't disagree that that isn't a valid method, but as far as what each of these methods is called, that particular one's call "blocking"... cuz, as you said, literally a block is used.

Whereas using just the springs to get the tremolo flush to the top of the guitar is called "decking".

Ref:

I don't disagree that that isn't a valid method, but as far as what each of these methods is called, that particular one's call "blocking"... cuz, as you said, literally a block is used.

Whereas using just the springs to get the tremolo flush to the top of the guitar is called "decking".

Ref:

I prefer my trems "blocked" or "decked" rather than -ing for either of those but definitely "floating" over floated. :)

Last edited:

Ref:

Fair enough. By those definitions, I would block a PRS tremolo and wouldn't deck it.

Back