New 85/15 Pickups

mitchewr

So I just received my new Custom 24 30th and just thought I'd comment on the new 85/15 pickups since there doesn't seem to be too much on them yet.

I am coming from my PRS SE 245. The pickups in that guitar are quite good, but on a different level than the 85/15s.

** I play through a Bogner Alchemist 112 combo retubed with JJ power tubes, Sovtek, Mullard and Rubys in the pre-amp section. Oh yeah! :p**

The SE pusp are as follows: The bridge is responsive, bright and very hot. It really drives an amp but also cleans up very very well, even on high gain and with the stock tone and volume pots (Alphas). The neck is really really warm, but borders on muddy sounding when playing clean or chords. It almost sounds as if you stuck your head into a bucket or something. I had my amp tech install a coil tap on that pup and man it sings when it's engaged. But the neck pup does sound good with gain, when playing the high notes on the neck.

Overall there is a very noticeable difference between the bridge and neck humbuckers, and I would say that they tend to color your sound a bit. Definitely getting compression in the tone. Essentially, it sounds as if the pickup is doing a lot of the tone work on the SE.

Now the pickups on the Custom24, 85/15s: The first noticeable difference is that there isn't a large difference between the neck and bridge humbuckers. Both, tonally sound very similar, yet the neck is more warm and creamy, without getting muddy at all. The bridge is brighter and snappier, but yet it's not harsh or scratchy. You don't switch to the neck and suddenly everything sounds drastically different...which is a good thing.

The 85/15s definitely have a more dry, just slightly old school feel to them. They DO NOT color the sound at all, and you really really feel that the wood of the guitar is producing the tone, it's not the pickups doing all the work. They are very natural sounding. AMAZING clean tones. Holy crap the cleans are amazing. The clarity is unbelievable.

The gain tones are super crunchy and saturated, yet very airy and open sounding. You don't lose any articulation if you drop it down to Drop-D tuning and play some power riffs. I can literally max out the gain on the Alchemist and yet the sound doesn't get fizzy at all...a "problem" I definitely experienced on my SE 245, Schecter C1+ and other past guitars.

Responsiveness is great, they clean up amazingly and the tone knob is actually useful. You can turn the tone all the way down and STILL have great sound. I've never owned another guitar where turning the tone down a little, let alone all the way was even slightly usable.

Paul knocked this one out of the park by a mile with these pickups! I don't know that I would necessarily recommend them for metal and heavy metal playing (unless you have a crazy high high gain amp, like a tripple rec or something). But for anything else, they're fantastic. Unbelievably versatile.

Side note: Does anyone have the specs for what exactly each position on the pickup selector gives you? I'm wondering which pickup combos exactly are in the "in-between" positions.

Thanks!

Very nice take on the pickups!

I wrote a little about them in my "Out for Delivery" thread, too, though my 30th version doesn't have the blade switch, it has a 3-way with a push-pull knob for the sweet switch, so coil taps aren't available (though these pickups are so clear and open as 'buckers that I'm amazed). I wish I had answers for you on the switch positions.

I'm working on some ad projects now, but I'm definitely going to do some clips with the pickups when I'm done with the ad work, and post links on the Forum when I do.

Like you, I'm truly digging these guitars. Aristotle has also posted some comments about the pickups. I think we all agree that they're a real milestone.

I selected the 58/15's today for my new PRS. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

Very nice take on the pickups!

I wrote a little about them in my "Out for Delivery" thread, too, though my 30th version doesn't have the blade switch, it has a 3-way with a push-pull knob for the sweet switch, so coil taps aren't available (though these pickups are so clear and open as 'buckers that I'm amazed). I wish I had answers for you on the switch positions.

I noticed that. The really isn't a need for coil taps/splits at all with these. Especially with the "in-between" positions but heck, the straight-up humbucker is crystal clear.

I'll be interested to hear your sound clips!

ADD said:
I selected the 58/15's today for my new PRS. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

I'd really like to hear some samples of these as well. I wonder what little differences are there with the covered pups vs uncovered.

I'd really like to hear some samples of these as well. I wonder what little differences are there with the covered pups vs uncovered.

According to the PRS interview article in Guitarist, the covered ones sound a little less hot, and a little warmer (less bright). Pretty much as you'd expect.

having a limited history with PRS I'm assuming some time passes before a new pickup shows up in the PRS store and other online stores. but I also havent seen all PRS pickups available anywhere. Are some pickup models only available with a guitar purchase?

Zero complaints on my 85/15's plus they do get heavy thru my 5150 amp. All around best PRS PUP offered to date. Well done Paul and co.

I'll be interested in Les' comparison if I get him to agree to come by the bat cave during the 30th shindig here in Maryland. My "standard" 30th is just plain stupid good, and I attribute that to the 85/15's for the most part. I've never been particularly enamored by CU24's with other pickups, but a part of me thinks that it might be associated with the rest of the circuit that they did for these 30th guitars. The PS versions with the sweet switch presumably have a different circuit than the standards, so it'll be interesting to have somebody who has experience with the PS version to compare and contrast.

In any case, a part of the magic is the pickup itself to be sure.... They seem to love any amp they're plugged in to (my 30th is currently having a love affair with an Orange Rockerverb 50 at the moment, but the guitar is a slut, and seems easily enamored...)

I'll be interested in Les' comparison if I get him to agree to come by the bat cave during the 30th shindig here in Maryland. My "standard" 30th is just plain stupid good, and I attribute that to the 85/15's for the most part. I've never been particularly enamored by CU24's with other pickups, but a part of me thinks that it might be associated with the rest of the circuit that they did for these 30th guitars. The PS versions with the sweet switch presumably have a different circuit than the standards, so it'll be interesting to have somebody who has experience with the PS version to compare and contrast.

In any case, a part of the magic is the pickup itself to be sure.... They seem to love any amp they're plugged in to (my 30th is currently having a love affair with an Orange Rockerverb 50 at the moment, but the guitar is a slut, and seems easily enamored...)

Have you pulled the cover off to see how the circuit differs? Giving up the 85/15s for the color and top I got was a hard choice but in the end I'd do it again. If I could change the circuit and get closer with the 59/09's I'd probably give that a shot.

I'll be interested in Les' comparison if I get him to agree to come by the bat cave during the 30th shindig here in Maryland.

Hey, you can pretty much count on me coming, Aristotle. The question is whether my opinion is worth a damn. ;)

I've found the 85/15 to be very much like the best of 57/08 and 59/09s. The warmth and cut from each in a single pickup.

I hear the 58/15 is basically a covered version of the 85/15?

For what's worth; and it's a bit cheesy, but Sweetwater did a YouTube video sort of 'apples and apples' attempt to compare the 30th custom 24 and the S2 custom 24 30th; same finish. Different pickups; but they left the amp dialed in the same when they changed to the S2, so a useful A/B of the core C24 30th 5-way blade with 85/15 pickups vs the S2 C24 30th 3-way blade with "S2 humbuckers" + pull knob for single coil. Which, those tones in the demo were sweet!

Back