New 2020 Black Gloss CE24

JJDon

Just went and sold my 2016 black/grey CE24 for the newer 2020 CE24 in black gloss. FYI, if you're looking for a CE24, the newer ones have unfinished necks which also feel a little more rounded like a Charvel neck. My 2016 had a laquered neck like a Custom 24, except you could see the wood. Compared to my other PRS', this maybe my favorite neck that PRS makes. Very comfortable and easy to navigate and not as thin as the older CE24s. Also, the trem bar stem is much larger so it doesn't interfere with the tone controls or 3 way switch.

Next step: Install a set of Seymour Duncan JB and 59s.

Interesting that the neck feels different. I was under the impression that the recent iterations of CE were all satin finished or natural necks with pattern thin shape

Cool guitar! As much as I like the Duncan '59/JB combo, I love 85/15s. You won't have any trouble finding a taker for the old pickups if you choose not to keep them.

Interesting that the neck feels different. I was under the impression that the recent iterations of CE were all satin finished or natural necks with pattern thin shape
On the PRS site they say that they are satin nitro finished as well. My 2019 is definitely satin finished and feels fantastic.

Beautiful guitar - I like the black contrasted with the ivory, too. It gives it a vintage LP Custom sort of vibe.

One of the other CE24s they had there was also in black gloss but with a satin neck. The neck on that one was even more rounded than this one. It felt more like a classic Les Paul neck than a bolt on style neck. This one has the natural wood neck. My previous 2016 also had a natural wood neck, but they put a coating on it so you didn't actually feel the natural wood. I like this one because you can feel the natural wood.

The differences in necks are probably down to each guitar being individually made in Marylad. After trying multiple PRS in the store, I realized they have more neck variations than you'd believe based on what their specs "should" be.

Last edited:
Nice - but:

for me it cries out for black rings and switch tip

very Stealthy

I like the ivory because of the contrast. A lot more classy IMO.

On the PRS site they say that they are satin nitro finished as well. My 2019 is definitely satin finished and feels fantastic.

Yea, I didn't realize the newer ones have nitro. I honestly can't tell because its black gloss. Also, the newer CE24s apparently have the 85/15 TCI tuned pickups as well. I can't really tell that it has those either since it doesn't sound as clear/articulate as my Custom 24 with the TCI tuned 85/15s. It obviously could be due to the necks/trem/body differences, but between my two Custom 24s, I can easily tell which one has the TCI pickups and which one doesn't.

Back