Need some advice guys...(PRS Special Semi-Hollow)

Boz

Hey guys! New member here, and first forum post...

I wanted to get some advice from everyone on a new guitar I'm looking to possibly purchase. I used to have a nice Les Paul sunburst that was my first real nice guitar, but ended up having to sell it a while back, and ever since have been wanting to replace it with another higher-end guitar. Originally I was looking to possibly purchase a new core model McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow, as it seemed to be the perfect fusion of old school, new technology, and that beautiful F-hole that I always wanted but never had with my Les Paul. But they have been so scarce and hard to find these days since they stopped making that model, especially in the color combination I like, that I was getting dissapointed.

Fast forward a few months of searching and I start looking into alternatives, and I come across the Special Semi-Hollow. It had many of the same characteristics of the McCarty 594 SH (same pickups, the F-hole, etc.) but also had the locking tuners, gen3 trem, and of course the narrowfield pickup in the middle. This all seemed interesting and so I started looking into it more and reading up on it. From what I've been able to read, owners of this guitar seem to be very happy with it overall. Now, I've never played a guitar setup with 3 pickups like the Special SH, and so I was curious if that would be an issue, as a few people made some comments regarding some frustration with their pick occasionally hitting the middle NF pickup while playing due to not being used to that particular setup. But from what I see, it seems to be more of an issue of personal picking style, and its something that can easily be gotten used to with a little practice.

So all that being said (sorry for dragging this out guys), did anyone find that the middle NF pickup was a big issue for them to get used to? Or is it something that with a little practice can be overcome? Because other than that, this guitar seems to have everything I want. Even the spec of this particular guitar I'm looking at is almost exactly what I would get even if I picked everything out myself. And besides the pickup issue, what are your thoughts on the guitar in general, compared to the original PRS I was looking at, the McCarty 594 SH? Is there anything that the McCarty 594 SH has that the Special SH doesn't have, that makes it worth continuing to wait for and hopefully find in the future?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated from everyone, and thank you all for taking the time to read all this and help a fellow guitar player out 🙂

Hey guys! New member here, and first forum post...

I wanted to get some advice from everyone on a new guitar I'm looking to possibly purchase. I used to have a nice Les Paul sunburst that was my first real nice guitar, but ended up having to sell it a while back, and ever since have been wanting to replace it with another higher-end guitar. Originally I was looking to possibly purchase a new core model McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow, as it seemed to be the perfect fusion of old school, new technology, and that beautiful F-hole that I always wanted but never had with my Les Paul. But they have been so scarce and hard to find these days since they stopped making that model, especially in the color combination I like, that I was getting dissapointed.

Fast forward a few months of searching and I start looking into alternatives, and I come across the Special Semi-Hollow. It had many of the same characteristics of the McCarty 594 SH (same pickups, the F-hole, etc.) but also had the locking tuners, gen3 trem, and of course the narrowfield pickup in the middle. This all seemed interesting and so I started looking into it more and reading up on it. From what I've been able to read, owners of this guitar seem to be very happy with it overall. Now, I've never played a guitar setup with 3 pickups like the Special SH, and so I was curious if that would be an issue, as a few people made some comments regarding some frustration with their pick occasionally hitting the middle NF pickup while playing due to not being used to that particular setup. But from what I see, it seems to be more of an issue of personal picking style, and its something that can easily be gotten used to with a little practice.

So all that being said (sorry for dragging this out guys), did anyone find that the middle NF pickup was a big issue for them to get used to? Or is it something that with a little practice can be overcome? Because other than that, this guitar seems to have everything I want. Even the spec of this particular guitar I'm looking at is almost exactly what I would get even if I picked everything out myself. And besides the pickup issue, what are your thoughts on the guitar in general, compared to the original PRS I was looking at, the McCarty 594 SH? Is there anything that the McCarty 594 SH has that the Special SH doesn't have, that makes it worth continuing to wait for and hopefully find in the future?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated from everyone, and thank you all for taking the time to read all this and help a fellow guitar player out 🙂
Not an issue, depending on your style. If you have no problem controlling your picking hand you're good to go with minimal practice. Just pick and strum between the pickups, and/or use a smaller size pick (Jazz III shape, for example) that doesn't go as deep into the strings.

If you strum wildly with big arm motions, you might find it a different story. Or not.

A million-bazillion-jillion Strat players play 3-pickup guitars, and it seems to work fine for them. I have no problems with a 3 pickup PRS (and own one currently with the same middle pickup).

The Special Semi Hollow is a bit different in tone from what you'd get with the 594 SH. The body isn't as thick, so there's less cavity to resonate. However, it's a very cool guitar. I kinda miss the one I had (it had an ebony fretboard that wasn't my thing) and am getting another this year with a rosewood board.

I spent tantamount to a year looking for the right 594 singlecut semi hollow, and finally found it in late Dec 2023.
Absolutely mint Artists package with ebony board. It has become my number one.
They are out there...

I cannot put this thing down. It's ridiculous. Super resonant. Zero regrets.

I spent tantamount to a year looking for the right 594 singlecut semi hollow, and finally found it in late Dec 2023.
Absolutely mint Artists package with ebony board. It has become my number one.
They are out there...

I cannot put this thing down. It's ridiculous. Super resonant. Zero regrets.

I hear ya. And you're right, those 594 SH's are hard to find, especially in new or mint condition, and even more so in the spec I'd want. Oddly enough, the one you have there is not only beautiful, but almost exactly the spec I'd be looking for if I was to go that route, except in a double-cut. I imagine trying to find one in a single-cut would've been even harder.

In fact, the Special SH I'm looking at right now is a special spec (wood library), similar to yours there, and as picky as I am with only a couple color(s) I like, how the top has to look, and that it have something special to set it apart from the rest to make it uniquely mine, like an artist or wood library), the fact I even came across this Special SH to me was surprising. I've been looking almost everyday for probably 6 months just to find this one. And I think if I was to try and look for those same needs on a 594 SH, given the fact they aren't even making that model anymlore, I feel I'd probably be looking for a very long time. This Special SH seems to be the closest replacement, and something that I'd still be happy with. At least that's how I feel up to this point 🤔

I hear ya. And you're right, those 594 SH's are hard to find, especially in new or mint condition, and even more so in the spec I'd want. Oddly enough, the one you have there is not only beautiful, but almost exactly the spec I'd be looking for if I was to go that route, except in a double-cut. I imagine trying to find one in a single-cut would've been even harder.

In fact, the Special SH I'm looking at right now is a special spec (wood library), similar to yours there, and as picky as I am with only a couple color(s) I like, how the top has to look, and that it have something special to set it apart from the rest to make it uniquely mine, like an artist or wood library), the fact I even came across this Special SH to me was surprising. I've been looking almost everyday for probably 6 months just to find this one. And I think if I was to try and look for those same needs on a 594 SH, given the fact they aren't even making that model anymlore, I feel I'd probably be looking for a very long time. This Special SH seems to be the closest replacement, and something that I'd still be happy with. At least that's how I feel up to this point 🤔
If that Special SH has grabbed you I cannot argue.
That axe is a kick up in versatility mate.
Also, welcome to the forum/enabling place. 😁

I have a SSH and it’s a really cool guitar. The character is very different to the solid body guitars with the same body size. The top of the middle pickup is radiused so it’s less obtrusive and that actually makes a difference. It doesn’t make the pickup disappear but it’s a little less likely to catch the pick. It also sounds very unique in a good way.

I have a SSH and it’s a really cool guitar. The character is very different to the solid body guitars with the same body size. The top of the middle pickup is radiused so it’s less obtrusive and that actually makes a difference. It doesn’t make the pickup disappear but it’s a little less likely to catch the pick. It also sounds very unique in a good way.

I was not aware of that, regarding the narrowfield/middle pickup. That actually does matter to me. Appreciate that point, this is all helping 👍🏻

I would start asking what sounds do you need from your guitar. Pickups are your mics and in my head pickup physical positions are akin to changing the mic location in front of your amp for getting an specific sound. I mainly play metal so I spend most of my time on the bridge pickup, but I would never have a guitar without neck pickup because I do need that different flavor it produces. Sorry Kramer Berettas.

When I started playing guitar I had this HSS model and I simply found no use for the middle pickup sound. Besides, it was always getting on my way (maybe because I was a newbie at that time) so I made it disappear and all my other guitars have a HH configuration. Because I cannot live without those 2 mics on my axes. But yours could be a different story depending on your style and sonic needs. Should you need a middle position pup, you will get over possible annoyances for sure.

I’ve got three semi’s. One is the special with an NF in the middle. It’s a great clean clear tone. Very Jerry like if that’s a goal. It’s never been in the way like other middles have. I modded mine with a pull pot to isolate the middle all by itself.

Also very helpful to know, thank you sir. And I've read that is becoming a somewhat popular customization. I wish I had the electronics know-how to be able to do something like that myself, but who knows, if I decide to go that route, maybe I'll just start educating myself on the process 😉

I would start asking what sounds do you need from your guitar. Pickups are your mics and in my head pickup physical positions are akin to changing the mic location in front of your amp for getting an specific sound. I mainly play metal so I spend most of my time on the bridge pickup, but I would never have a guitar without neck pickup because I do need that different flavor it produces. Sorry Kramer Berettas.

When I started playing guitar I had this HSS model and I simply found no use for the middle pickup sound. Besides, it was always getting on my way (maybe because I was a newbie at that time) so I made it disappear and all my other guitars have a HH configuration. Because I cannot live without those 2 mics on my axes. But yours could be a different story depending on your style and sonic needs. Should you need a middle position pup, you will get over possible annoyances for sure.

As for the different sounds/style of music I go for, I'd say everything from clean melodious finger picking, to S.R.V.-type blues rock riffs, and maybe from time to time, something a bit heavier for fun. Another reason I thought the Special SH would've been a good choice, as its obviously more versatile given the varied pickup options.

I love my Special , it is the swiss army knife of tones. I have a 594 HB II as well and it's a dream , though not quite as versatile.
There are a couple of other choices IF you can find them , A Walnut LTD is a dream with the 57/08's and a tap, more in the LP territory.
A custom 24 semi as well ...

Also very helpful to know, thank you sir. And I've read that is becoming a somewhat popular customization. I wish I had the electronics know-how to be able to do something like that myself, but who knows, if I decide to go that route, maybe I'll just start educating myself on the process 😉

Understood. Honestly, It’s super simple. If you’re in Denver, gimme a yell ; )

My Special is my most versatile guitar. The way its wired from factory is much more like you'd expect from a Double Humbucker guitar with the 'same' 8 Pup selection options you get from a McCarty 594 - except that has a 3-way and this has a 5-way with positions 2 and 4 giving you extra tones with the NF combining with either HB. Traditionally, the middle option is just the middle pick-up on a 3 pick-up guitar, but on the Special, its both Humbuckers like a traditional double Humbucker so you can't use the NF on its own. Therefore it technically has the Same HB options as the 594, just can't blend tones/volume like you can with the 594 - but also get a Trem and extra options.

I also have a 594 and 594 Hollowbody, but the Special is my only Semi-Hollow. I don't find myself hitting the middle pick-up but YMMV. My Special though is one of the pre-core models with 58/15 MT's - unlike my 594's and the Core Special with the LT's

My suggestion is to try one first - there are other differences like scale length, neck shape etc that may make more of a difference to you than whether or not it has a 'middle' pick-up. You may also struggle to find a 594 Semi-Hollow as these were often limited run and not part of the regular Core line-up.

I can't tell you which guitar would be the 'best' for you - you know what you like, what you prefer etc better than I do. If you are anything like the majority here, it won't be the last PRS you buy, just the first....

I love my Special , it is the swiss army knife of tones. I have a 594 HB II as well and it's a dream , though not quite as versatile.
There are a couple of other choices IF you can find them , A Walnut LTD is a dream with the 57/08's and a tap, more in the LP territory.
A custom 24 semi as well ...

Yes, I happened to come across the walnut SH and I definitely searched high and low to try and find one. Beautiful guitar. I thought I read somewhere that they only made 25 of them? If thats true, all the more of a score to be able to find one 😉

My Special is my most versatile guitar. The way its wired from factory is much more like you'd expect from a Double Humbucker guitar with the 'same' 8 Pup selection options you get from a McCarty 594 - except that has a 3-way and this has a 5-way with positions 2 and 4 giving you extra tones with the NF combining with either HB. Traditionally, the middle option is just the middle pick-up on a 3 pick-up guitar, but on the Special, its both Humbuckers like a traditional double Humbucker so you can't use the NF on its own. Therefore it technically has the Same HB options as the 594, just can't blend tones/volume like you can with the 594 - but also get a Trem and extra options.

I also have a 594 and 594 Hollowbody, but the Special is my only Semi-Hollow. I don't find myself hitting the middle pick-up but YMMV. My Special though is one of the pre-core models with 58/15 MT's - unlike my 594's and the Core Special with the LT's

My suggestion is to try one first - there are other differences like scale length, neck shape etc that may make more of a difference to you than whether or not it has a 'middle' pick-up. You may also struggle to find a 594 Semi-Hollow as these were often limited run and not part of the regular Core line-up.

I can't tell you which guitar would be the 'best' for you - you know what you like, what you prefer etc better than I do. If you are anything like the majority here, it won't be the last PRS you buy, just the first....

Yes sir, finding a 594 SH is not easy, especially since I'm so picky with colors and tops. And since I opened a Les Paul before, that was the original reason I leaned toward it, just thats it setup similar, pickups, etc. Amd that was why I mentioned the center pickup. Just never played a guitar with center pickup setup like that. I've played strats and similar guitars of course (my first guitar ever was a Fender Squire when I was a teenager, lol), but it didn't seem the same since the three single pickups on those were not only smaller, but also spaced more in between. As I mentioned, I just noticed a few people online making comments about having some issues getting used to it. But then again, I dont think I would be much of a guitarist if I had to pass on an awesome guitar like a wood library PRS Special SH because I didn't think I would be able to get around a slight pickup re-location 😂 Thats what practice is all about, right?

Back