Need help with S2 Tremolo bridge set up

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by S2C22, Jun 14, 2019.

1. S2C22

S2C22 New Member

This is a new guitar. Shouldn't the bridge sit more level? It dips a bit, as pictured. Of course, it's an easy fix, I just wondered if that was how they're supposed to sit? Seems like the claw screws need loosened, and the bridge more level?
    [​IMG]

2. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

It could be more level if you want it that way. If it works for you, leave it, not a problem. It's not uncommon for guitar setups to need occasional tweaking.

Any more pics of that beauty?

3. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

Both my S2s with trems look like that because they were set up with 10s and I put 9.5s on them, I wouldn't screw with it unless its driving you crazy, you could loosen the claw a bit or remove a spring and tighten the claw but I would leave it, more springs add to tone as well...if you do loosen the claw to start tune it up and it will float flat...what gauge strings are on there now?

4. P90_fan

P90_fan New Member

Spring adjustment will fix this, string height may need adjusted after adjusting the bridge.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

I would treat her with a set up by a pro if it were me. While you're at it, put a sheet of foam behind the springs thick enough to dampen them. On my S2, the pickups pick up the vibrations. It could get annoying sometimes. When strings are off, replace the pickup springs with automotive rubber hose too.

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Pull off the back plate. Loosen the claw screws by 1/4 turn. Retune the guitar, pulling up and down on the trem bar several times. The bridge should be parallel to the body. If not, repeat in increasingly smaller increments until it is. It’s that simple as long as you have your preferred string gauge on the guitar when you do it. If that doesn’t work, sacrifice a live chicken on your dining room table at midnight while lighting incense and repeating over and over again..............Leo who? Orville who? Gay Kakken to you!

#6 dogrocketp, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Geo408, Eddie kim and 801PE like this.
  7. cvballa008

cvballa008 New Member

buy a mann made tremelo system for that beauty.

BMiller and Glide-bpm like this.
  8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

Are those a direct drop in fit for our half-Asia S2's? What are the pros compared to the stock ones?

Glide-bpm likes this.
  9. cvballa008

cvballa008 New Member

yep direct fit for S2s

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

Any advantage over the stock ones?

11. cvballa008

cvballa008 New Member

that's subjective to the wants and likes of every player and how your guitar is built. I think it gives it more sustain and better mids.

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

One piece brass unit. The S2 is two piece, and might be steel. IMO, the Mann sustains better, and is a little clearer.

littlebadboy likes this.
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

It seems like Mann has brass unplated, hybrid nickel (whatever those 2 means), and just nickel with the least costing $200. Are they good over the other? That's a third of how much I acquired my S2. That's a considerable upgrade. The stock is giving me a very good sustain right now. Hopefully, I will get to get that upgrade soon

14. 801PE

801PE New Member

What I do minus the sacrifice. Once the trem is level, you can adjust the truss rod and saddles to taste.

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

They are better. How much is truly up to each individual's ears. If you're digging what you got, tone wise, I'd let it be. Maybe a "down the road" upgrade. Besides, John designed the original for PRS, so you're getting the original from the Mann!

16. cvballa008

cvballa008 New Member

I agree with this 100% if you like the sound and the sustain, save the tremolo for a rainy day or if you want a different sound later on. The S2 is a composite tremolo, so upgrading to red brass will change the sound. I personally found it to be much better. Gave me the best bang for my buck. And it stays in tune remarkably well. Adjust the tremolo to sit flush and rock on :)

bodia likes this.
  17. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 New Member

I set mine up with 1/8" float, just like a Strat. Works great in both directions!

18. S2C22

S2C22 New Member

Dropped it off with the tech yesterday. It's getting a full set up, and the bridge blocked for dive only, and Drop-D capabilities. I'm also having it re-wired with higher quality pots, pickup switch, wiring, and a Duncan Custom in the bridge & a '59 in the neck. It's going to be a sick guitar![​IMG]

#18 S2C22, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    littlebadboy, grausch and CyFan4036 like this.
  19. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 New Member

I replaced the trem on my CE24 with the NOS2000 unit and it made a huge difference in sustain and individual note clarity to me. Also the feel of the trem is much improved, I’d highly recommend investing in one eventually.

bodia likes this.
  20. S2C22

S2C22 New Member

The price on it is ridiculous.