Need help with S2 Tremolo bridge set up

S2C22

This is a new guitar. Shouldn't the bridge sit more level? It dips a bit, as pictured. Of course, it's an easy fix, I just wondered if that was how they're supposed to sit? Seems like the claw screws need loosened, and the bridge more level?
00g0g_gDrXSOqmzB7_600x450.jpg

It could be more level if you want it that way. If it works for you, leave it, not a problem. It's not uncommon for guitar setups to need occasional tweaking.

Any more pics of that beauty?

Both my S2s with trems look like that because they were set up with 10s and I put 9.5s on them, I wouldn't screw with it unless its driving you crazy, you could loosen the claw a bit or remove a spring and tighten the claw but I would leave it, more springs add to tone as well...if you do loosen the claw to start tune it up and it will float flat...what gauge strings are on there now?

This is a new guitar. Shouldn't the bridge sit more level? It dips a bit, as pictured. Of course, it's an easy fix, I just wondered if that was how they're supposed to sit? Seems like the claw screws need loosened, and the bridge more level?

Spring adjustment will fix this, string height may need adjusted after adjusting the bridge.

I would treat her with a set up by a pro if it were me. While you're at it, put a sheet of foam behind the springs thick enough to dampen them. On my S2, the pickups pick up the vibrations. It could get annoying sometimes. When strings are off, replace the pickup springs with automotive rubber hose too.

Pull off the back plate. Loosen the claw screws by 1/4 turn. Retune the guitar, pulling up and down on the trem bar several times. The bridge should be parallel to the body. If not, repeat in increasingly smaller increments until it is. It’s that simple as long as you have your preferred string gauge on the guitar when you do it. If that doesn’t work, sacrifice a live chicken on your dining room table at midnight while lighting incense and repeating over and over again..............Leo who? Orville who? Gay Kakken to you!

Last edited:
that's subjective to the wants and likes of every player and how your guitar is built. I think it gives it more sustain and better mids.

that's subjective to the wants and likes of every player and how your guitar is built. I think it gives it more sustain and better mids.

One piece brass unit. The S2 is two piece, and might be steel. IMO, the Mann sustains better, and is a little clearer.

It seems like Mann has brass unplated, hybrid nickel (whatever those 2 means), and just nickel with the least costing $200. Are they good over the other? That's a third of how much I acquired my S2. That's a considerable upgrade. The stock is giving me a very good sustain right now. Hopefully, I will get to get that upgrade soon

Pull off the back plate. Loosen the claw screws by 1/4 turn. Retune the guitar, pulling up and down on the trem bar several times. The bridge should be parallel to the body. If not, repeat in increasingly smaller increments until it is. It’s that simple as long as you have your preferred string gauge on the guitar when you do it. If that doesn’t work, sacrifice a live chicken on your dining room table at midnight while lighting incense and repeating over and over again..............Leo who? Orville who? Gay Kakken to you!
What I do minus the sacrifice. Once the trem is level, you can adjust the truss rod and saddles to taste.

It seems like Mann has brass unplated, hybrid nickel (whatever those 2 means), and just nickel with the least costing $200. Are they good over the other? That's a third of how much I acquired my S2. That's a considerable upgrade. The stock is giving me a very good sustain right now. Hopefully, I will get to get that upgrade soon

They are better. How much is truly up to each individual's ears. If you're digging what you got, tone wise, I'd let it be. Maybe a "down the road" upgrade. Besides, John designed the original for PRS, so you're getting the original from the Mann!

They are better. How much is truly up to each individual's ears. If you're digging what you got, tone wise, I'd let it be. Maybe a "down the road" upgrade. Besides, John designed the original for PRS, so you're getting the original from the Mann!
I agree with this 100% if you like the sound and the sustain, save the tremolo for a rainy day or if you want a different sound later on. The S2 is a composite tremolo, so upgrading to red brass will change the sound. I personally found it to be much better. Gave me the best bang for my buck. And it stays in tune remarkably well. Adjust the tremolo to sit flush and rock on :)

Dropped it off with the tech yesterday. It's getting a full set up, and the bridge blocked for dive only, and Drop-D capabilities. I'm also having it re-wired with higher quality pots, pickup switch, wiring, and a Duncan Custom in the bridge & a '59 in the neck. It's going to be a sick guitar!
00u0u_lQVU0HTOY83_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the trem on my CE24 with the NOS2000 unit and it made a huge difference in sustain and individual note clarity to me. Also the feel of the trem is much improved, I’d highly recommend investing in one eventually.

I replaced the trem on my CE24 with the NOS2000 unit and it made a huge difference in sustain and individual note clarity to me. Also the feel of the trem is much improved, I’d highly recommend investing in one eventually.

The price on it is ridiculous.

Back