Need Help installing DGT Pickups on my 5 way Rotary Custom 22

Gemal

Hi Guys, I just got a set of used DGT pickups and I wanted to replace the dragon 2's in my 96 custom 22. The dragons have the three colored wires, while the DG's have a black, a white and the outer shield. How do I account for the missing wire...basically I want to keep as much as possible the 5 way full, splits, etc. as currently on the dragon pickup installed. I can follow the circuit board and I'm pretty handy with solder, however I'm just looking for the best advantage of getting the best out of the DG's on my custom.
Thanking You in Advance,
Marshall

To use the switch as it was designed, you would have to separate the two wires where the white lead joins them and add a new lead to allow you to access the two coils separately. That means taking off the cover and removing the tape around the coils. Then you'd have to reinstall the covers and probably repot the pickups. It's not impossible and if you're handy, it's not even difficult but it's a lot of bother to go to for a couple of different sounds. Personally, I'd install a 3-way switch and a coil tap or if you can find one, an original wafer-style rotary, which you could wire in a way that makes the best use of the DGTs.

To use the switch as it was designed, you would have to separate the two wires where the white lead joins them and add a new lead to allow you to access the two coils separately. That means taking off the cover and removing the tape around the coils. Then you'd have to reinstall the covers and probably repot the pickups. It's not impossible and if you're handy, it's not even difficult but it's a lot of bother to go to for a couple of different sounds. Personally, I'd install a 3-way switch and a coil tap or if you can find one, an original wafer-style rotary, which you could wire in a way that makes the best use of the DGTs.

So essentially add a push/pull tone where the 5 way rotary is now and add a three way pickup switch. So basically that turns the custom 22 into a DGT, (minus the neck, frets, etc)?

The 3-way switch normally replaces the rotary and the tone control stays where it is but with a push-pull switch. You could of course do as you say and reverse them, but it would probably affect resale; most people are happy with either a rotary or McCarty switching, as it's known, but anything else might be regarded as a mod too far.

I don't think it would make it a DGT. It would still be a Custom but with DGT pickups. There's nothing wrong that.

I have a set of DGT pickups with the correct wiring for the rotary from the factory. They exist, but I only know of my set and one other. But, I agree with ADP, if I had the ones with the normal wiring, I would either convert to a 3 way and a push/pull on the tone pot, or I would pick up an alternate rotary switch and research new wiring possibilities.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...itches.guitar___bass_rotary___slide_switches/

Thanks guys, I decided rather than mod my custom 22 and have a so-so dgt. I've decided to buy a dgt and post the pickups to ebay. The dgt is almost a perfect guitar, might as well go with years of experience that went into this guitar rather than try to recreate it with a pickup swap.
Any one looking for a pair of 2012 dgt's let them give me a shout.
Peace,
marshall

I think that's definitely the best thing to do. The DGT is an awesome guitar.

Back