Need Help: DC3 vs EG Pros and Cons

For Singlecoil Tones which would you choose?

• DC3

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • EG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bowtiefanatc

Confirmed Bird Snob
Hi Everyone,

I have a lovely strat, which I will never sell since my wife got it for me, but I am looking into a PRS that can get me those bell like single coil tones.

I have been spying a couple EGs on Reverb and there are starting to be quite a few more DC3's available. They are really close in price so that's not really helping things, but I've never played an EG before.

I know that the EG does have a sort of cultish following and that they are regarded as quite good instruments.

I guess the question is, which would you choose? Why?

Thanks!!

I don't know enough about either to have a pony in this race, but I have the same questions you have. Curious to hear what everyone's got to say

Last edited:
I'd choose the DC3... I've never played mine with stock pickups though! The ergonomics and feel (especially the satin "sunken" neck finish) are hard to beat.

Some of the early EGs had neck pocket issues apparently so that needs to be checked for cracks.

Both use proprietary pickups AFAIK so if you did want to change pickups on either, you'd need a new pickguard (not a big deal).

I'd choose the DC3... I've never played mine with stock pickups though! The ergonomics and feel (especially the satin "sunken" neck finish) are hard to beat.

Some of the early EGs had neck pocket issues apparently so that needs to be checked for cracks.

Both use proprietary pickups AFAIK so if you did want to change pickups on either, you'd need a new pickguard (not a big deal).

I've played a few DC3's and I really like the feel. The EG that I have my eye on has 3 Rio Grande standard single coils so the whole domino pickups wouldn't be an issue. I could even put some really nice Klein's in it. However the DC3 just seems like a big leap in advancement of the single coil PRS

DC3.jumbo frets,v12 finish in neck which feels like bare wood. I had one with lollar blondes installed (new pick guard). should have kept it. Strat sound PRS top notch quality.

Love my DC3...The neck, the PUs, everything...Although you can find some really nice older EGs out there pretty cheap. And look for the domino Fralin PUs...a little different, but neat character all there own. HAPPY HUNTING.

Back