Neck scarf joint on PRS SIlver Sky, Is in all models? What say John Mayer?

guitar_string

Hello,

Recently I purchased a SIlver Sky and my most shocking for me was the scarf joint that the neck has. I know that this is for aim of increased strength but is really this on the personal guitars of John Mayer?

He said that this is the same guitar that they use, that they can go to store and pickup one. Is this true that his guitar has the same scarf joint?

Also, all models 2019, 2020, 2021 have the same scarf joint?

Thanks

Best regards

Hello,

Recently I purchased a SIlver Sky and my most shocking for me was the scarf joint that the neck has. I know that this is for aim of increased strength but is really this on the personal guitars of John Mayer?

He said that this is the same guitar that they use, that they can go to store and pickup one. Is this true that his guitar has the same scarf joint?

Also, all models 2019, 2020, 2021 have the same scarf joint?

Thanks

Best regards
Why do you ask?

Not a SS but still makes me laugh

Screenshot_20211107-163553_Galleryd0bbfa052cf6b055.jpg

Because on Youtube he said that the guitar in the store is the same thath they use. And I want to know that is really true.

Best regards

On a PRS forum? Never! :D

The reason I ask, is that there is a lot of internet misinformation on the topic. Some say it's an inferior way of making a neck. WRONG! Some say it's a "cheap" way or only to save money. That also, is not correct, although it does save a bit of wood and thus money. But a lot of people read on the internet that it's some inferior way to do a neck and then look down on a guitar that uses it. I've even seen TGP experts (LOL) make comments in Silver Sky threads about PRS "cheaping out" by using a scarf joint on the neck. That is what we in the business call BULLSHIRT!

The finest bigger production acoustic guitars made ALL have scarf joint necks. So here's a rule of thumb I've always found to be a very good way to view things. "If it's good enough for Paul Reed Smith and Bob Taylor, it's good enough for you and me!" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back