NECK CARVE REAL DATA????

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I am a lover of the WIDE FAT neck, and a recent demo of a Pattern Regular neck left me feeling they are not the same thing. WHAT'S THE REAL DIFFERENCE? These necks are CNC roughed and finished by hand, right? So there has to be some demonstrable difference between them. Anyone have graphics?

Furthermore, there must be a similar difference between the Wide Thin and the Pattern Thin. WHAT DOES PATTERN ACTUALLY MEAN??? CAN ANYONE SHOW ME???

I was told the "Regular" neck I have on a CU24 and the "Regular Pattern" neck on my NF3 are the same shape.
My hands are telling me something completely different.
That "Regular Pattern" neck may be THE most comfortable shape I've ever played.

Wide Fat and Pattern Regular aren't the same at all. 'Pattern' is the evolution of Wide Fat, but it's not exactly the same.

Thanks, guys. Can anyone tell me WHAT that difference is?????? You'd think this would be readily available from PRS, but I can't find it anywhere.

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

Neck Measurements

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
12 String - 1 47/64"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"
12 String - 2 19/64"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"
12 String - 27/32"

FINGERBOARD RADIUS

10" on all guitars except when otherwise stated
11 1/2" on the Santana models and 12 strings

SCALE LENGTH

25" on most models except when otherwise specified
24 1/2" on the SC 58, Santana, Starla, Starla X, Mira X and 245 models
25 1/4" on 513, DC3, and NF3
25 1/2" on 305

...so you can see that the Pattern Regular neck you played is actually thinner at the nut than your Wide Fats.

I would also like to point out the the "Pattern" naming convention is very bad in this day and age of internet searches. Say I want to find a 408 standard with w/ a trem and Pattern neck. Any 408 standard with a trem and Pattern or Pattern thin neck will come up. Sure, I could also put "-thin" in the search right? But it's a pretty common word and could be used elsewhere in the text. When it was called Wide Fat I could search "Wide Fat" with the quotes and get what I wanted. They should rename it "Pattern Fat" or better yet, make a fatter neck profile and call that one "Pattern Fat" 'cause that's what I really want.

Interesting info! What really got me a few years ago, though, was that a 24 fret 'Regular' felt toothpick thin at the nut vs a 22 fret 'Standard' (apparently the same thing) so I'm not convinced that the 24 fret necks don't taper a bit more than those measurements suggest.

I own a 24 widefat and a 24 pattern, and while the width and depth of both may be technically the same, they do feel different to me. I hear the shape of the carves are slightly different, with the pattern having more of a roundness. I would love to measure them with some calipers. I do like them both tho. No preference really. I dislike the new names too I agree.

I have 4 - WF PRSi and 1- Pattern and they are all somewhat different but so close you have to really try to find the difference , think it depends on who's sanding that day.
If anything the Pattern might be a bit rounder overall

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

Neck Measurements

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
12 String - 1 47/64"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"
12 String - 2 19/64"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"
12 String - 27/32"

FINGERBOARD RADIUS

10" on all guitars except when otherwise stated
11 1/2" on the Santana models and 12 strings

SCALE LENGTH

25" on most models except when otherwise specified
24 1/2" on the SC 58, Santana, Starla, Starla X, Mira X and 245 models
25 1/4" on 513, DC3, and NF3
25 1/2" on 305

...so you can see that the Pattern Regular neck you played is actually thinner at the nut than your Wide Fats.

I would also like to point out the the "Pattern" naming convention is very bad in this day and age of internet searches. Say I want to find a 408 standard with w/ a trem and Pattern neck. Any 408 standard with a trem and Pattern or Pattern thin neck will come up. Sure, I could also put "-thin" in the search right? But it's a pretty common word and could be used elsewhere in the text. When it was called Wide Fat I could search "Wide Fat" with the quotes and get what I wanted. They should rename it "Pattern Fat" or better yet, make a fatter neck profile and call that one "Pattern Fat" 'cause that's what I really want.

This info is much appreciated, thank you. I have seen this, in fact, but failed to notice the body joint difference you pointed out. I've always disliked this chart named "Neck Profile", because the "PROFILE" I'm interested in would be the actual contour of the neck carve in cross-section, how it changes along the length of the neck, and how they all compare with each other. You can see other than a few differences, the widths of these necks are the same. The contour of the neck, however, is what makes for the subtle differences that everyone, I believe, feels most, notwithstanding how the neck is finished. THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!

Back