My Rig in 2014

tolm

AKA "New Amp Day" but the amp on it's own seemed a little without context!

I've been on a mission this year to consolidate my setup to a compact but great sounding (and flexible!) rig. I'd dropped from 5 to 2 guitars already: with the Paul's Guitar being my #1 since I scored a great deal on it and the McCarty II being a recent addition to deliver some more 'full bore' Les Paul tones when needed but with the same great playability. Yesterday, I made a trip up to Andertons for my birthday (which is actually today) to check out the new Tone King Royalist - hoping for a more manageable version of my Bluesbreaker - both in weight and volume terms. As expected, it was spot on so a quick bit of part-ex dealing and some haggling later and I went home with the 45W head and 2x12 cab version. Amazing amp - with the right EQ settings it can nail my Bluesbreakers "edge of clean" tone but thanks to the attenuator I can also get fully cranked tones anywhere from home to gig volumes. Plus the head and can only weight about 36lbs each so much easier to shift around.

So - this is my rig now (albeit with pedalboard not shown). For my covers band, I can run the Majesty (I have one of the first run models before they changed the name!) clean and use my Paul's Guitar and pedalboard for ultimate flexibility. And when I want to get my classic rock/blues on, I can just run the McCarty into the amp and crank it up/down as needed with the attenuator:

14603209864_59a970d313_c.jpg

:)

Nice, would love to see/hear a video of it in action, and not just soloíng because let's be honest, most people don't just sit and noodle all day ;)

Ohh...that is so, so sweet. Post clips when you have a chance.

I have lusted for a Tone King since the first time I ever ran across one. I am originally from the Baltimore area and these were popping up around there long before anyone else knew about them. One day.

Dude, that rig rocks. Love it, so clean and professional looking. And, you got one before they changed the name to "Royalist", how cool is that.
Perfect timing for me since I'm in the market for a new amp to go along with my PRS guitars.
I almost pulled the pin on a Galaxy when they first came out but didn't do it for reasons that escape me now.
Demo would be great.
Enjoy.

Man, some fine tonemachines you've got over there.
What I really like is the clean and simplicity of your rig. And that's the point: the less you have between you and your music, the more you are focused on the latter

Quick Soundcloud demo of the Majesty using my McCarty II straight in the front. I had the attenuation on full - which really does give a "bedroom" level whilst retaining the tone - but sadly means you can hear the pick on the strings!! :(

Also, it was 8 am before work with no warm up so "sloppy playing caveat, ya-dah ya-dah ..." :)

https://soundcloud.com/tolm/tone-king-majesty-demo-i

Amp settings were:

- Volume 5
- Treble 5
- Mid 5
- Bass 6
- Presence 6
- Attenuation -36db (max.)

Tried to throw in some different pickup settings, drop the guitar volume to clean up, etc. Hopefully give a vague idea but honestly the Guitarist demo on YouTube is probably the best to get a good feel for how the amp sounds. It's maybe a tad over-produced but the tones are very accurate to what the amp sounds like in person.

Man, some fine tonemachines you've got over there.
What I really like is the clean and simplicity of your rig. And that's the point: the less you have between you and your music, the more you are focused on the latter

Exactly! Whilst in the short term there will be an excessive number of pedals up front when gigging, my long term aim is to reduce the pedal count down to one decent OD/Boost up front (probably my Fulltone PlimSoul) and an analog delay (MXR Carbon Copy) in the loop. And maybe an "occasional" wah ... ;)

Back