My Fenders are worried...VERY worried...

DogPhishHead

I've become smitten with my simple SE Zach Myers, to the point my two American Fenders (tele and strat) may be headed to Reverb soon as I'm craving a McCarty or DGT ! I can't get stop thinking about what a core PRS would be like and how one of those two with the coil taps would fill all my tone needs.

It's not curable, right ? Tell me I'm "doing this right" guys.

As soon as I bought and locked in on my SECU24, my customized 1988 AmStd Tele (with Lace&DiMarzios) was headed to eBay - to fund the acquisition of an SE Singlecut with Duncans.

Yours is not an unusual condition.

I've become smitten with my simple SE Zach Myers, to the point my two American Fenders (tele and strat) may be headed to Reverb soon as I'm craving a McCarty or DGT ! I can't get stop thinking about what a core PRS would be like and how one of those two with the coil taps would fill all my tone needs.

It's not curable, right ? Tell me I'm "doing this right" guys.
No worries! You're definitely doing it right! I got my first SE and got rid of my Tele not long after because it was gathering dust. Not long after that, I even picked up an SE Angelus acoustic. Now, I'm completely PRS exclusive, not necessarily on purpose, but because I haven't found something that feels as good as my PRSi. I dig the sound that comes from Strats, Teles, LPs, etc. but none of them can compare with the comfort and feel of my PRSi.

While a Tele is a Tele and a Strat is a Strat, my 2c, in the sage advice of Sheryl Crow, is "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad..."

The best thing about Fenders is that (holy grail vintage instruments aside) you can pretty much always replace them if you find yourself jonesing for one in the future. So unless Abigail Ybarra wound your pickups herself, GO FOR IT :)

I'm glad I kept my strat, a Classic Player '50's. It does things my PRS can't, especially with that neck pickup. It's good to have both. I was thinking of selling my non PRS guitars, but am glad now I haven't. And I will say this that others won't agree with probably, but the 2 point tremolo on my strat stays in tune better than my Core CU24, or my S2 Standard 22, and better than my non tremolo SE CL. It just does. Maybe it's a really good tremolo, with the perfect nut, I dunno, but the tuning stability on all three of my PRS guitars is mostly fine, it isn't as great as I expected. Locking tuners or not, it still needs tuning quite frequently. Not a big deal really, just saying.

That said, I do love the tones I get from my PRS and the playability is great on all three lines I own. And I still want more. But I want a couple more Fenders too. Guess I just have bad gas.

You're doing it right. As you buy more PRS guitars, you'll realize Fenders are nothing more than some random parts slapped together.

Let 'em go if they don't move you or you're not going to play them! I need to follow my own advice as my strat almost never comes out of the case for whatever reason despite what a comfortable guitar it is and the appealing single coil sound. In contrast my PRS always seem to be out on stands or hangers ready to be played...

My Strats and Tele still hold a special place in my heart, so they're sticking around. PRS guitars fill a different role for me, so they all make me happy at one time or another. I don't like being too locked in to a particular sound.

My Strats and Tele still hold a special place in my heart, so they're sticking around. PRS guitars fill a different role for me, so they all make me happy at one time or another. I don't like being too locked in to a particular sound.

This.

I've got an Ernie Ball JPX and an '89 Strat. Love them both, and won't move them. Funny thing is, I don't feel like I need another Fender, or EB. However, I have multiple PRS, and have serious GAS for more. I've never jones'd for other brands like I do for PRS.

My tremonti SE Custom(ized) is my #1. My 2007 Mira is #2. After that, my other customized SE`s. Everything other solid body gathers dust.

It depends on how special they sound. A friend of mine has a '59 reissue "American standard"? tele that he will never part with, because it has a special sound that even some of his more expensive teles don't. But if they're just bog standard teles and strats, then yes, by all means, DO IT.

(This coming from someone who doesn't have a McCarty or DGT yet.)

I sold my early 90's '68 reissue Stratocaster and a Gibson Blues Hawk for a Custom 22 and a fair amount of cash. I really do not miss either guitar and the only two Fender's I would keep is an Eric Clapton Stratocaster with Lace sensors or the Strat Plus with the Wilkinson roller nut. While not as good as the CE 24 or CU 22, they are both excellent guitars.

You're doing it right. As you buy more PRS guitars, you'll realize Fenders are nothing more than some random parts slapped together.

Some of the best tones put to record were done with those slapped together guitars. Most guitars, including PRS, are a bunch of premade parts "slapped" together. PRS just puts far more care into the back end of the process of their mass produced stuff. A custom shop Strat plays just as effortlessly as any PRS. Dare I say, I strat is way more comfortable to hold and play for 3 hours too. Fender hasn't been around for decades and made millions of guitars because they are making crap. There are far more people who love and play Fender than PRS. The moral of the story is that all guitars from all manufacturers have their "thing" and can be appreciated for that. You certainly aren't going to effectively pull off Sultans of Swing on ANY PRS and have it sound convincing. Even though I'm a PRS fan, I do plan to have all of the iconic guitars in my collection someday when the wallet allows. There is nothing wrong with that. I think here in the states, we have to feel like we belong to one thing and have this loyalty to that one thing. Subsequently, we then look down at everything else. Thats just not how I roll. I see the beauty and positives in everything.

The DGT does a pretty convincing job of Billy Gibbons on his Strat type stuff, for me. It's also really good at the clean, chimey stuff similar to a Strat, but without the full frequency range, as you would expect. The resistors on the split coils do a fantastic job. It means that I can use it in a cover band situation without switching instruments and not feel like I completely compromised anything. It's a very universal guitar in the right applications.

If you're gigging and need flexibility, I recommend he DGT. If it's about acquiring what you think you want, carefully consider why you like the Strat, because nothing else IS a Strat.

Back