My Fenders are worried...VERY worried...

I wonder if maybe it's not always the guitar manufacturer pushing things into the future, but many times the artist who takes the product into the future by what he creatively does with it. What Jimi Hendrix did with a Stratocaster was brilliant and forward thinking. Hendrix didn't get famous because he played a strat, as much as the strat became even more iconic because of Jimi. Maybe we need some innovative cutting edge artists to make history with their PRS's because they take them into realms that even PRSh never dreamed of. Maybe?

We're talking about guitar design here, though -- did Jimi actually change anything about the Strat? (Honest question -- I don't know.) I mean, Les Paul, he practically invented the solidbody electric guitar, so there I would agree with you -- he saw...er...heard a void in terms of what he wanted to do musically, so he engineered a solution.

Also, how much more innovation is there left in the guitar? Again, honest question, I don't know. I mean, there truly are innovations, but not all of them are good (I saw a guitar with a video screen on it, that one comes to mind). I know there have been evolutions like the Chapman Stick, 7-, 8-, and 9-string guitars, playing a guitar with a dulcimer hammer or a violin bow, robo-tuners, fanned frets, but those are all niche in terms of their interest to most guitar-playing musicians. But there's still a lot that isn't known about what makes a magical guitar so much better than one of its near neighbors, so it's still a matter of all manufacturers trying to figure out what that difference is and finding an economical manufacturing process for that magical guitar.

Maybe we need some innovative cutting edge artists to make history with their PRS's because they take them into realms that even PRSh never dreamed of. Maybe?
:top:

IMO, PRS has done a great job with their artist relations. Sure, there seems to be a bit of "throw it up on the wall and see what sticks" but they've (re)introduced me to some talent that really shook my musical foundation. David Grissom, Davy Knowles, Gary Grainger, and Tony McManus head up that list. They aren't the next new Hendrix but they are all innovators.

Last edited:
I'm a Fender guy first (down to 3 Strats & 2 Teles).......after that I just like guitars period. Late last year I sold off a few guitars that I had multiples of and bought a "Paul's Guitar". It is a thing of beauty to behold (if you like green) and play, No Doubt"! Very versatile, though I personally don't think it has a single coil sound, both the coil tapped / split and hum bucking modes are supremely useful.

Its ts actually an excellent metal guitar because the brighter narrow 408 pickups cut through beautifully.....but it will do anything.

Id say go for a Core, you certainly won't regret it. Like others have said unless your Strat / Fenders are CS of some description then theyre easily replaceable. All the guitars I currently own are keepers barring some unforeseen life event ? But the only guitars I wouldn't let go are my FCS 69 Strat, Fender Jim Root Tele (Mex) and The Paul's guitar. All are first class as far as fit and finish go (Mex Tele is ridiculously good) and I could cover anything with these three guitars.

Im still contemplating whether or not I'll get another PRS at this point, the 513 really intrigues and I'd have a Hollow Body just for the beautiful back carve......BUT there are guitars I'd like to try from Collings, Framus and Tyler, just to name a few and they're all worth serious coin.

So many great guitars, so little time & limited financial resources......that's the problem.

I'm blessed to have the guitars I currently own but it doesn't stop the GAS......

I wonder if maybe it's not always the guitar manufacturer pushing things into the future, but many times the artist who takes the product into the future by what he creatively does with it. What Jimi Hendrix did with a Stratocaster was brilliant and forward thinking. Hendrix didn't get famous because he played a strat, as much as the strat became even more iconic because of Jimi. Maybe we need some innovative cutting edge artists to make history with their PRS's because they take them into realms that even PRSh never dreamed of. Maybe?
I'm sure there is an innovative band of dentists just about ready to break through.

It's mostly about the music!

Guitars are like Bikes.. part of the fun is the fan club and the art of spending hours pouring over details and tones. In the end though it's really about the music. Playability and ascetics do play into that (pun intended).

A few years back I went on a year long "find the best acoustic" journey which led me to purchase about 15 acoustics (even driving to Canada to procure one), and in the end I sold all my Tak's, Taylors, Martins', etc. for one McPherson (Spruce & Rosewood).

Part of the journey in this art is learning what works and doesn't and the why behind each of those. There are are many who just love guitars and they will never be a great player, just like a Harley Rider may never be an Evil Knievel, but still loves riding and craftsmanship (primarily as a keyboardist/pianist I'm one of those).

I've been on a similar journey with Electric Guitars lately (which is what landed me on this forum). In the end I am huge fan of PRS' innovation, craftsmanship, the company & community, etc. and the guitar I ended up purchasing (the S2 Singlecut) meets almost every need I have. I hope PRS brings back the SC250, but this S2 is a great player. That being said, almost all my favorite tones from various artists or bands I love tended to be Fender Strats. I haven't found a PRS that completely replicates that sound, and they should not necessarily try. I've listened to almost every demo available of every PRS model to get a real feel for the tones of their various pickups, body shapes, wood & electronics combinations, etc. There are several pups that are just phenomenal. Love the #7's, #6's, & 408's. I tend to find the maple caps closer in tone to what I like but none of these replace that Fender SSS sound though.

My next guitar will probably be a used USA Strat with noiseless pups on her. Almost every demo or video I watch from Floyd & the Edge, to Jimmy Ray & Mayer, have that tone I love. This Strat, however will never replace my SC.

I'd love to see more maple necks and Single coils coming out of PRS. I loved the D-coil on the Vela, but she was too hot, the hum was too much for me. The "Studio" model looked very interesting as well. Funny enough 2 of the 3 core models I think I'd be most interested in are no longer available (The SC250 and Studio). Then there are also the Knaggs, Blade, and Anderson, I'm looking at! :D

I'd say keep the Strat if its been a great guitar for you, otherwise buy that new "Fat Boy" and ride on!

~C

Last edited:
... I loved the D-coil on the Vela, but she was too hot, the hum was too much for me.

Ok, don't mean to derail the thread, but this had me worrying that I had missed something. I tried to get mine to hum, even turning up volume to max both through my amp and then through my PA speakers passing through my Focusrite Scarlett and my DAW. Turned ALL volumes up on everything and couldn't get more than a little noisy hiss which quieted down when I laid my hand across the strings. The puzzling part is that my old house has an ungrounded receptacle running all this.

Shrugs....

Man, that made me laugh! I can't wait to see them on their album cover with their white coats and their Private Stock guitars.
Hey, they also come in the form of manufacturers, insurance agents, IT guys, security dudes, accountants, investors, and playboys. White coats are overrated...a diaper is where it's at! :flute:

Ok, don't mean to derail the thread, but this had me worrying that I had missed something. I tried to get mine to hum, even turning up volume to max both through my amp and then through my PA speakers passing through my Focusrite Scarlett and my DAW. Turned ALL volumes up on everything and couldn't get more than a little noisy hiss which quieted down when I laid my hand across the strings. The puzzling part is that my old house has an ungrounded receptacle running all this.

Shrugs....

Really!?

I hope you are right! and.. I don't think I will post my experience with it anymore as I really want the Vela to gain a wide audience.
This was the main reason I sent mine back (plus the quack on her was a little more than I need currently).

It seemed Chappers and the Cap'n had the same experience on Anderton's Youtube Vela review. I've also not experienced that level of noise on the SC or the Tremonti's I tried (which makes sense as full HH's).

I may have to look back into the Vela again. How would you describe her tones vs. a normal Strat (I didn't have one to A/B it)?

~C

Last edited:
Maybe it just has to do with RF interference in your environment? (And by 'your', I mean anyone who has the problem.)

Really!?

I hope you are right! and.. I don't think I will post my experience with it anymore as I really want the Vela to gain a wide audience.
This was the main reason I sent mine back (plus the quack on her was a little more than I need currently).

It seemed Chappers and the Cap'n had the same experience on Anderton's Youtube Vela review. I've also not experienced that level of noise on the SC or the Tremonti's I tried (which makes sense as full HH's).

I may have to look back into the Vela again. How would you describe her tones vs. a normal Strat (I didn't have one to A/B it)?

~C

Wish I could give you an opinion on that last, but since I've never owned a Strat... can't help there. The only other electric I've owned before PRS was an Oscar Schmidt Delta King and I had intonation issues with it. Just couldn't bond with it.

Speaking of innovative modern guitar design........

Last edited by a moderator:
The debate about which company is the most innovative, stagnet, forward thinking, traditional, money grubbing, customer oriented or (put your metric here) is pointless.

Put two guitarists side by side and let them play the same selection of 10 guitars. What do you honestly think will happen there?

I want what I want.
You want what you want.

I'm predicting a long life for PRS, Fender and Gibson as I see each company catering to the wants and needs of their core customer bases.

I really enjoy reading people's thoughts on how well, or even how poorly, a particular guitar is doing it for them.

But broad, generalized statements about this company or that are just dumb. It is true, I used to make similar statements myself. Then, I re-evaluated my motives and attitude.

YMMV

Last edited:
The debate about which company is the most innovative, stagnet, forward thinking, traditional, money grubbing, customer oriented or (put your metric here) is pointless.

Put two guitarists side by side and let them play the same selection of 10 guitars. What do you honestly think will happen there?

I want what I want.
You want what you want.

I'm predicting a long life for PRS, Fender and Gibson as I see each company catering to the wants and needs of their core customer bases.

I really enjoy reading people's thoughts on how well, or even how poorly, a particular guitar is doing it for them.

But broad, generalized statements about this company or that are just dumb. It is true, I used to make similar statements myself. Then, I re-evaluated my motives and attitude.

YMMV

Good post. I like all guitars, although I tend to gravitate to the more traditional brands, the big three (Fender, Gibson, PRS). Although with Gibson I prefer the higher end Epiphone models - better quality for what you're getting, price wise. But I digress.

I really got into PRS this summer, starting out with an SE Clint Lowery, then a S2 Standard Custom 22, and then an artist grade Custom 24. I traded a CS Fender Telecaster for the CU24 with no regrets. Until now. I like the Core CU24 a lot. Beautiful instrument, very nice player, no issues. But I tend to grab my S2 or SE more often, and I can't quite understand why this is. And I miss my Tele, or having a Tele a lot, and I also sold 2 other Les Pauls for the early PRS models, and now I have gas for another LP. And so it goes...

I could sell my CU24, and with those funds, get the LP, a Tele and maybe even a PRS SE CU24. But then I wouldn't have this gorgeous CU24. Most here wouldn't do this, but the fact that I keep thinking about it is making me wonder...

Turning this post around again to my original thought after spending a rainy weekend in the guitar room with all 3 axes (and rolling some preamp tubes in my Mesa) ....the telecaster is definitely staying, it's the perfect foil to the PRS ZM, and it has a nice deep neck profile that plays well in my left hand (like the PRS). The strat is the problem, thin C american standard profile - it feels odd after playing the other two, but those Fat 50 pickups sound SO darn good with my Blue Note OD pedal. For now, I'm keeping the trio, plenty of inspiration between these three guitars. A core PRS will have to wait a bit, should make the search sweeter.

Turning this post around again to my original thought after spending a rainy weekend in the guitar room with all 3 axes (and rolling some preamp tubes in my Mesa) ....the telecaster is definitely staying, it's the perfect foil to the PRS ZM, and it has a nice deep neck profile that plays well in my left hand (like the PRS). The strat is the problem, thin C american standard profile - it feels odd after playing the other two, but those Fat 50 pickups sound SO darn good with my Blue Note OD pedal. For now, I'm keeping the trio, plenty of inspiration between these three guitars. A core PRS will have to wait a bit, should make the search sweeter.

At least with the strat, you could always remove the neck and try something beefier. I have a Classic Player 50's strat, and it's a soft V neck shape. I find it very comfortable, not beefy but definitely not a thin C shape neck either. You might find one on ebay for a reasonable price. I was initially concerned with the vintage spec frets and radius, but it's a joy to play.

Back