MT-15 problem?

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
My MT-15 has been making these noises recently, just wondering if any of you guys know what it is

tubes are cheap. buy one 12ax7 and put it position 1 then 2 then 3...replacing the original tube if the problem does not go away. if it DOES go away it was that tube then done if none of them then try new power tubes or cables. then send it back for repair.

tubes are cheap. buy one 12ax7 and put it position 1 then 2 then 3...replacing the original tube if the problem does not go away. if it DOES go away it was that tube then done if none of them then try new power tubes or cables. then send it back for repair.
Im going to try new cables first, if that doesnt fix it what tubes do you reccomend?

You have to start with the basics. Start with unplugging everything. Does the amp make the sound with no guitar plugged in. Does the sound go away with volume. Try with the guitar only, try a different guitar cable. Even a long patch cable or something if you don't have other cables. Try each pedal separately, change the patch cables around see if anything changes.

When my cables are bad I don't get hiss so much as a buzz, it's usually a bad solder in the plug broke loose. hiss has usually been bad power supply, noisy pedal or tube on it's way out.

Did you change anything before you noticed the hiss. Get a long barbecue stick or something open the amp and tap the tubes see if any weird noises come out.

Last time I got a lot of noise like that was my old DSL. I spent a lot of time using a cheap power supply that wasn't isolated. Adding more pedals increased the noise. Two hungry digital pedals in the loop made weird whining noises, they needed to be isolated from one another.

Loads of things can cause noise, it looks like your at the beginning and it could be a frustrating time. Most of my noise probems went away when I changed the power supply for a 0nespot Pro CS7.
With high gain amps, if you turn up the gain and volume on the amp your going to get a lot of noise, add pedals and turn the gain and/or level up on those and your going go get a lot more noise.

If it's your first tube amp, tube amps are kind of tricky and some just have a high noise floor on high gain. You might not be able to do much except get a quieter 12ax7 compatible tube.

Crackles and ringing sounds are usually tubes unless there's something in your household wiring making it happen. Sometimes if it's a very rare occuring click/crack sound, it could be something daft like a Ceiling fan or HVAC unit turning on that's sharing the same circuit or a cell phone or router too close to the amp.

Last edited:
You have to start with the basics. Start with unplugging everything. Does the amp make the sound with no guitar plugged in. Does the sound go away with volume. Try with the guitar only, try a different guitar cable. Even a long patch cable or something if you don't have other cables. Try each pedal separately, change the patch cables around see if anything changes.

When my cables are bad I don't get hiss so much as a buzz, it's usually a bad solder in the plug broke loose. hiss has usually been bad power supply, noisy pedal or tube on it's way out.

Did you change anything before you noticed the hiss. Get a long barbecue stick or something open the amp and tap the tubes see if any weird noises come out.

Last time I got a lot of noise like that was my old DSL. I spent a lot of time using a cheap power supply that wasn't isolated. Adding more pedals increased the noise. Two hungry digital pedals in the loop made weird whining noises, they needed to be isolated from one another.

Loads of things can cause noise, it looks like your at the beginning and it could be a frustrating time. Most of my noise probems went away when I changed the power supply for a 0nespot Pro CS7.
With high gain amps, if you turn up the gain and volume on the amp your going to get a lot of noise, add pedals and turn the gain and/or level up on those and your going go get a lot more noise.

If it's your first tube amp, tube amps are kind of tricky and some just have a high noise floor on high gain. You might not be able to do much except get a quieter 12ax7 compatible tube.

Crackles and ringing sounds are usually tubes unless there's something in your household wiring making it happen. Sometimes if it's a very rare occuring click/crack sound, it could be something daft like a Ceiling fan or HVAC unit turning on that's sharing the same circuit or a cell phone or router too close to the amp.
Wow thank you, yeah it was my wah pedal, didnt realise it was dead. I went straight cable to guitar and it had no crackles of such, I ordered another cable to replace the cheapy one for safe measures.

Wow thank you, yeah it was my wah pedal, didnt realise it was dead. I went straight cable to guitar and it had no crackles of such, I ordered another cable to replace the cheapy one for safe measures.

Glad you found it. When I play at home odd little noises really irritate me and take away some of the enjoyment out of playing. Glad you found the problem pretty quick :)

Back