More Volume Pot Wonkiness

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Scored a used Eriza Verde Siggy trem to complement my Fire Red Siggy trem (heck it was Christmas, right? Red and Green...) and noticed that it sounded...OFF. When the volume pot is all the way down, there is still signal passed, and it sounds quite thin. With the pot all the way up, the signal is more muted than it should be, lower both in volume and treble. This seems to happen in both pickups. I didn't want to abuse the pot, but if I play around with the knob there is some crackle, and nanosecond hints at a full volume / tone signal.

I ain't no electromagician, and with the mustard cap and other stuff in that cavity, there's ALOT going on...

Is my assumption correct that this is likely a bad pot? Or could it be something more sinister?

I would hate to PTC her just for a bad pot...I've got a good local resource (Daves Sound Repair in Whippany NJ) but if y'all think tonight be something more serious, I'm not taking any chances and would PTC.

Thoughts?

I haven't looked at any pots in my 2 PRSi, but if it's possible to shoot some electrical contact spray cleaner into it, after twisting/turning it full scale a few times, spray again and follow that up with a couple of shots of compressed air while twisting/turning some more. I did this on my Studio Pro and got rid of the scratchiness. YMMV, and all that. Hope it helps...

Back