More backplates done!

matt3310

Got 2 more guitars done. I'm loving these matching plates! Bob at Bobs custom plates hooked me up! I thinks I have about 10 more guitars to go to have them all done.

wmNLEgf.jpg

XjzQte6.jpg

fYDzHtO.jpg

4DiYxub.jpg

a8A6F2f.jpg

Daaaaang! Those are awesome bud! What finish is that in the first pic? Whatever it is...it's ridiculously killer!!! That finish on a Stripped 58 (the guitar that's been the object of my obsession of late) and I'm a dead man walking!

Linky link?

Edit: I could do a Google search. But it's nice for a business owner to be able to see where the traffic to their site is really coming from.

Last edited:
I have to say my experience with Bob wasn't so good. He didn't have templates for a 594 so I sent him my backplates. It took months and when I finally got them there were big gaps in the corners. I had requested them unfinished because they were African Blackwood and it takes a nice shine without any finish.

They were poorly sanded, like he rushed thru it leaving marks from the rougher grits. He also used tung oil on them, making a natural polish impossible. The grain was running contrary to the grain of the guitar and it was supposed to be parallel. He also sent my stock plates back all hacked and scratched. It was basically a train wreck.

He was very apologetic and offered to redo them at no cost. I told him if he actually got them right I'd be happy to pay for both sets. I decided to have this set lacquered hoping the finish would be better. I sent the stock plates back for round two and told him to keep them as a donation since they were now useless to me.

Another couple of months go by and I get an email saying he dropped and dented one of the plates. He said he was making another one and would get them to me in the next week or two. They came a week later with no notification and they were obviously rushed thru everything.

I got two sets. One set fit perfectly but the finish was a mess, poorly sanded and debris in the finish and the grain on the small and large plate not only didn't match, it was a different color. The second set was matched in grain and color and would have been adequate if they had fit. They were so far off I couldn't even get them in the openings and the screw holes were way off.

Both sets had the same finish issues like they were sprayed by some amateur in a dirty shop. The finisher also didn't know about ebony type woods and the added prep necessary so the lacquer was separating and flaking off.

I got back to him asking what happened. He told me he didn't even want to send them because he knew I wouldn't be happy with them. He said he'd been having problems with his finisher and wasn't happy about it either. He was very apologetic and said "I promise I'll make it up to you". That was over a year ago, I haven't heard anything from him since and doubt I ever will. I never pursued a refund because he did incur time and materials cost, but all I got were three useless sets of plates and lost the stock ones to experimentation.

The good part of the story is when I called PRS and told them what happened they sent me a brand new set of plates at no charge.

He's a nice enough guy and I really hope he's upped his game a little for his sake. If you care about fit and finish you might want to check out some other options. The upside is he has better prices and wood selection.

I have the pics and emails to verify all this but I'm honestly not trying to trash the guy so take it for what it's worth :)

Last edited:
I have to say my experience with Bob wasn't so good. He didn't have templates for a 594 so I sent him my backplates. It took months and when I finally got them there were big gaps in the corners. I had requested them unfinished because they were African Blackwood and it takes a nice shine without any finish.

They were poorly sanded, like he rushed thru it leaving marks from the rougher grits. He also used tung oil on them, making a natural polish impossible. The grain was running contrary to the grain of the guitar and it was supposed to be parallel. He also sent my stock plates back all hacked and scratched. It was basically a train wreck.

He was very apologetic and offered to redo them at no cost. I told him if he actually got them right I'd be happy to pay for both sets. I decided to have this set lacquered hoping the finish would be better. I sent the stock plates back for round two and told him to keep them as a donation since they were now useless to me.

Another couple of months go by and I get an email saying he dropped and dented one of the plates. He said he was making another one and would get them to me in the next week or two. They came a week later with no notification and they were obviously rushed thru everything.

I got two sets. One set fit perfectly but the finish was a mess, poorly sanded and debris in the finish and the grain on the small and large plate not only didn't match, it was a different color. The second set was matched in grain and color and would have been adequate if they had fit. They were so far off I couldn't even get them in the openings and the screw holes were way off.

Both sets had the same finish issues like they were sprayed by some amateur in a dirty shop. The finisher also didn't know about ebony type woods and the added prep necessary so the lacquer was separating and flaking off.

I got back to him asking what happened. He told me he didn't even want to send them because he knew I wouldn't be happy with them. He said he'd been having problems with his finisher and wasn't happy about it either. He was very apologetic and said "I promise I'll make it up to you". That was over a year ago, I haven't heard anything from him since and doubt I ever will. I never pursued a refund because he did incur time and materials cost, but all I got were three useless sets of plates and lost the stock ones to experimentation.

The good part of the story is when I called PRS and told them what happened they sent me a brand new set of plates at no charge.

He's a nice enough guy and I really hope he's upped his game a little for his sake. If you care about fit and finish you might want to check out some other options. The upside is he has better prices and wood selection.

I have the pics and emails to verify all this but I'm honestly not trying to trash the guy so take it for what it's worth :)

That's crazy! I've got 11 sets from him and a pickguard and everything has always been perfect! Sorry to hear about your experience.

There's that PRS again going above & beyond, what a class act.

Sorry to hear of the earlier shambolics, looks like hes got the hang of it now, and matt i love how you spend money on guitars like a sailor in port ;)

There's that PRS again going above & beyond, what a class act.

Sorry to hear of the earlier shambolics, looks like hes got the hang of it now, and matt i love how you spend money on guitars like a sailor in port ;)

The reason I contacted them is because they didn't offer the 594 plates on the PRS website. I just wanted to buy a set. I was adamant that PRS wasn't at fault and tried to pay for them but after hearing why I needed a new set he just said "give me your address and I'll get them out to you". He wouldn't even let me pay for shipping.

Nothing against Bob either, he ended up saving me more than it cost me. I lost any remaining desire to pimp out anything on my 594, it's already a pimpmobile just the way it came :)

Back