MEV trem issues - noise and tuning problems

JonH

I am having issues with the trem on my Exp 2020 PRS ME V. This problem has only surfaced in the last week of my about-4 week ownership.

I now find that most times when I use the arm, there is a ‘clink’ sound/vibration that I can feel and hear coming somewhere from the mechanism. I cannot tell if it’s in the bridge itself, the pivot points or maybe even from the springs (4 fitted from factory). The problem also extends to the guitar tuning - it goes out of tune when it happens. It’s hugely frustrating and it’s driving me nuts as I have no such issue with either of my Custom 24s with the same trem system.

Anyone suffer this issue before or have any advice on how I can resolve the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are the 6 pivot screws all level, with the bridge plate sitting exactly in each of the 6 "notches"? If not, I can see that causing a ping/clink as the trem is used. If you do need to adjust any of the screws, make sure to detension the strings first before adjusting.

If it's not that, it might be a trem spring moving slightly in the block or on the spring claw. Try wrap some soft cloth around the springs, or stuff some cotton or foam in the trem cavity, and see if you still get the clink. If you don't, then it's likely a spring issue.

I'm sure others will have more ideas to try, but if not, it's new, so contact the dealer.

Are the 6 pivot screws all level, with the bridge plate sitting exactly in each of the 6 "notches"? If not, I can see that causing a ping/clink as the trem is used.
Thank you good sir, that was precisely the issue. I put the straight edge of my setup gauge on the screw heads to find the one on the high E was slightly high, causing the plate to catch just slightly. This caused the ‘clink’ noise and put the tuning off.

Problem solved. I’m glad for it as it’s a long way from where I am in Australia to the dealer I bought it from in NY!!

So good to hear it was an easy fix! Now go and enjoy your beautiful guitar. :)

Back