Medium (13-56) strings on the PRS SE Tonare/Angelus

ba4x

Hello!

I just picked up my first PRS - an SE T40E Tonare. I'm stoked! For years I've drooled over PRS electric guitars. Only recently did I discover they made acoustic guitars, and after playing one, I fell in love. The feel of the neck and the action are stellar. I didn't know such a feeling was possible on an acoustic guitar.

I suppose that's what I want to ask you about. My whole life I've played dreadnoughts with medium strings (13-56) gauge. With the medium gauge, I feel I can get some really nice bassy tones when I want to, and I can play hard on the strings without them flexing out of tune. When I was a kid, a role model of mine once told me to always play with a heavier gauge, even though it may be more difficult at first - the implication was that lighter gauges will only give lesser tone.

I've strung my T40E with D'Addario EXP16s, which are light gauge 12-53. The guitar is a used one and came set up pretty well. Right now, it plays like a dream. Super low action, no buzz, and the light strings are easy to play on. This is the sensation I fell in love with when demoing the guitar. However, when I switch back to my trusty dreadnought (a Sigma Martin from the 1980's) with the medium 13-56 martin strings... man it just plays with so much more heart. The strings are beefy and rich sounding (they are Martin 80-20 bronze, probably 3 months old now). The PRS in comparison sounds... thin? Hard to say without sounding dismissive.

I want to ask - is it worth trying the medium strings on the T40E? Or is the T40E a different animal, meant to play soft delicate and smooth. Is the PRS built for light strings? Will it lose the playability? I know 12-53 is listed on the product page on their website, and I see most people on this forum go with that gauge. I don't mind having two wildly different guitars in the house, but it would be nice to rescue some of that tone.

Follow up question: If I switch from light to medium on the PRS, will it throw off the action? Right now it's pretty close to perfect, and the guitar being so new to me, I don't want to risk messing it up.

Thanks for your time and feedback

Last edited:
Obligatory new (used) guitar photo
OrKi5o2.jpg

You just have to try it. I own two core acoustics, and owned an SE Standard. Each one had (has) its favorite strings. Just know that a neck adjustment is easily reversible, but a nut slot filing for thicker strings is almost permanent if done for lower action. A simple widening of the slot to accept a "one gauge up" string if done right may allow a change back to the smaller string with no issue.
The guitar comparison is apples to oranges, though. You're comparing different body styles for sound. Also different body woods. You can't make those two guitars sound similar without sacrificing the strengths of one to the detriment of the other.
I'm a fingerstyle player. Low action, light touch. An aggressive approach with a pick means instant buzz.
Nice guitar. I hope you find the adjustment that makes it what you seek. But you can't make it a dreadnought.

Definitely just try it, but since you’re happy with how it plays currently, measure the existing action, neck relief and first fret clearance before you make the change.
You’re likely going to need to tweak the truss rod a little after the string change in order to maintain the relief and action you have, but if you keep a note of how far you’ve turned the rod nut, you’ll be able to return the guitar to its former playability if you decide to stick with the current string gauge.
Give it a go - I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference it makes.

Thanks very much for the replies, those are kind words and valuable insights. The more I play this thing, the more I can appreciate the light strings. I really do love having two (or more) examples of a certain instrument or device, if only to appreciate their differences. For example I have a dozen or so tennis rackets, from all eras and of all types. It is a joy to hit with each of them and revel in their various strengths and sensations. Same idea with cars, or even headphones and speakers. That said, I appreciate the comment about the Tonare not being a dreadnought, and it seems only right. Thank you for driving that point home.

Oddly enough, it seems like the action on the T40E is starting to pick up (or I'm just imagining it). The guitar came from Tucson, AZ which presumably is a drier place, and here in San Diego, CA we currently have humidity between 75% and 95%. Maybe it is acclimating. I think the wet weather here is just a passing phase, should be back to normal in a week or two.

I will keep with the light strings for now in an effort to appreciate the guitar without modification, and to let the weather and guitar settle. It's good to know 13-56s are an option for the next chapter. Thanks again!

Congratulations on your new guitar! It looks very nice. Instead of changing to heavier gauge strings you might try various makes and materials.
Martin Monels, D'addario Nickel Bronze or XT, etcetera ad infinitum... Good luck!

Back