McCarty Singlecut 594 for rock/metal?

I have no experience with the 594 to offer there but I think feel is going to be a big part of whether the pickups work for you or not. Tone wise I believe they will be there but will they provide the feel you are looking for. I really like hot ceramic bridge pickups for metal, I'm so used to the kick they hit the amp with. I have a LP with a set of Duncan Seth Lovers and while the sound is chunky and saturated enough the feel is different hitting the amp. Not the same compression or overall response. I'd say buy a Tremonti Treble pickup, that's a great pickup for metal, my opinion, IF the stock pickups are not what you are looking for.
Appreciate the response. Thank you! Is the Tremonti pickup similar to the PRS \m/ pickups?

In a nutshell I guess I just want to know if I put hotter pups in my SC 594 if it would be a suitable guitar for rock/metal, and if it would be able to handle drop c tunings? If the guitar is versatile enough.
Echoing what others said re: 58/15 pickups are great; Amp & Pedals can get you the extra gain.

As for tuning, if you play a lot of Drop D & lower, you could consider using hybrid gauge strings, like a 10-52 set. The three high strings are the usual 10-13-17, but the lower three are thicker, 30-42-52, perfect for tuning down without the strings being too loose and floppy, especially on a shorter scale guitar. You'd likely want to adjust the neck relief, action and intonation if you change gauges, but I'd always recommend checking those on a new guitar anyway, even if you're not changing - still might need tweaking to your liking.

Echoing what others said re: 58/15 pickups are great; Amp & Pedals can get you the extra gain.

As for tuning, if you play a lot of Drop D & lower, you could consider using hybrid gauge strings, like a 10-52 set. The three high strings are the usual 10-13-17, but the lower three are thicker, 30-42-52, perfect for tuning down without the strings being too loose and floppy, especially on a shorter scale guitar. You'd likely want to adjust the neck relief, action and intonation if you change gauges, but I'd always recommend checking those on a new guitar anyway, even if you're not changing - still might need tweaking to your liking.
I've actually used the NYXL skinny top heavy bottom strings pretty much exclusively for a few years now. Love those strings! What gauge would you recommend for Drop C tunings? Thanks for the reply!

I've actually used the NYXL skinny top heavy bottom strings pretty much exclusively for a few years now. Love those strings! What gauge would you recommend for Drop C tunings? Thanks for the reply!
You might be fine sticking with the 10-52's, or you could try bumping up to 11-56. Or stick with the 10-52 set but separately buy an even thicker 6th string (like a .59, used for a seven string guitar). Obviously that's a bit of a hassle, and I wouldn't recommend using something that thick and sometimes tuning it up to E, I'd only keep it down in C.
Really, I'd say start with your usual 10-52's and see how they work out tuned down. I think they'll probably do the job (and I definitely recommend the SC594 - it's an awesome guitar!)

I’m going to be a contrasting voice and say that I generally hate vintage voiced (bridge) humbuckers for metal. I tried to make variations on a PAF work for about a decade (I have plenty of gain, let the amp do the heavy lifting, more dynamics from lower wind) before I finally learned my lesson and switched back to high output pickups, and I regret not doing it sooner.

The relaxed mids and extra high end that comes from vintage winds is both mushy and scratchy when fed into a lot of dirt. I found alnico 5 too scooped and alnico 2/3 too squishy. All that sounds awesome with low to mid gain, but as the distortion goes up and the rhythm more machine gun they start to show their weakness.

Conversely, high output pickups sound sterile while clean and like liquid fire with distortion. The additional midrange produces more harmonic overtones and the rolled off top end keep down the fizz. If I’d realized the lack of harmonics from low wind pickups earlier I would’ve ditched this experiment years earlier.

All that said, I do encourage you to try the stock pickups as they may turn out great for you; but, if you find your sound isn’t coming together and you’re thinking you need a different amp or cab because what you have isn’t doing it for you, it might be that you need a higher output pickup in the bridge. I keep a stock McCarty for the old school sounds and I love it, but I have an LP with a JB/Jazz setup for when I need more push (used to be a CE-22 with JB/Jazz, but I downsized a couple years ago).

IME/IMO.

You might be fine sticking with the 10-52's, or you could try bumping up to 11-56. Or stick with the 10-52 set but separately buy an even thicker 6th string (like a .59, used for a seven string guitar). Obviously that's a bit of a hassle, and I wouldn't recommend using something that thick and sometimes tuning it up to E, I'd only keep it down in C.
Really, I'd say start with your usual 10-52's and see how they work out tuned down. I think they'll probably do the job (and I definitely recommend the SC594 - it's an awesome guitar!)
Great! Thanks for the advice! I was thinking either the 11-56, or 12-54 for Drop C. I'm assuming the 11's would be the better bet simply because it would be easier to bend, and play leads.

Appreciate the response. Thank you! Is the Tremonti pickup similar to the PRS \m/ pickups?
Unfortunately I have never tried the \m/ pickup, but it sounds like people have good things to say about that one.

Last edited:
I’m going to be a contrasting voice and say that I generally hate vintage voiced (bridge) humbuckers for metal. I tried to make variations on a PAF work for about a decade (I have plenty of gain, let the amp do the heavy lifting, more dynamics from lower wind) before I finally learned my lesson and switched back to high output pickups, and I regret not doing it sooner.

The relaxed mids and extra high end that comes from vintage winds is both mushy and scratchy when fed into a lot of dirt. I found alnico 5 too scooped and alnico 2/3 too squishy. All that sounds awesome with low to mid gain, but as the distortion goes up and the rhythm more machine gun they start to show their weakness.

Conversely, high output pickups sound sterile while clean and like liquid fire with distortion. The additional midrange produces more harmonic overtones and the rolled off top end keep down the fizz. If I’d realized the lack of harmonics from low wind pickups earlier I would’ve ditched this experiment years earlier.

All that said, I do encourage you to try the stock pickups as they may turn out great for you; but, if you find your sound isn’t coming together and you’re thinking you need a different amp or cab because what you have isn’t doing it for you, it might be that you need a higher output pickup in the bridge. I keep a stock McCarty for the old school sounds and I love it, but I have an LP with a JB/Jazz setup for when I need more push (used to be a CE-22 with JB/Jazz, but I downsized a couple years ago).

IME/IMO.
Yeah, I really have no idea. I'm definitely going to give the stock pups a chance, and see how I get on with them.

I know my questions may seem stupid/juvenile, but I do have some knowledge when it comes to musical equipment (amps, tubes, speakers, effects, etc) I just have no knowledge on pickups - AT ALL. I don't know what the different magnets offer, or anything. I will be 37 tomorrow, and have played guitars since I was 16. In the last 21 years I have almost always used high output, "hot" pickups. I played in some punk bands when I was younger, but since then have primarily played metal. I've always associated hot pickups with metal. Even if that is wrong, it's just how I've always approached it. I've never got along with EMG, or any active pickups. I've always preferred passive. I've also always enjoyed ceramic pups, but never knew why (lack of knowledge on pickups). They were always super hot, and tight. I've always liked the Invader pickup, and had a Hot Rails in the bridge of a Tele that sounded amazing IMO. I've also had a JB/59 setup before that I liked, and a Duncan Distortion that I thought sounded good. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Bare Knuckle pickup, like a War Pig, Nailbomb, or something.

Again, when it comes to pickups I basically have no knowledge at all, any information would be greatly appreciated. I've always liked hotter pickups, but haven't given the pickups in my 594 a chance yet. I will definitely give them a chance, and go from there.

I really do appreciate all the replies.

Unfortunately I have never tried the \m/ pickup, but it sounds like people have good things to say about that one.
M pickup is nothing like a Tremont.

M pickup is a higher output but is super balanced and refuses to get muddy. I used one in my McCarty when I had it detuned and it worked great for that.

I don’t have M pickups any more, I find for standard or half step down my other pickups work better for me but I've changed a lot about my setup so things might be different now.

If you are going for low tuning I would recommend M pickups.

I don't have metals but the Tremonti rips and is a killer pickup that sounds amazing drop tuned.

I'd still try what you have first but if it doesn't get you where you want to be I fully endorse the tremonti to get you there.

Yeah, I really have no idea. I'm definitely going to give the stock pups a chance, and see how I get on with them.

I know my questions may seem stupid/juvenile, but I do have some knowledge when it comes to musical equipment (amps, tubes, speakers, effects, etc) I just have no knowledge on pickups - AT ALL. I don't know what the different magnets offer, or anything. I will be 37 tomorrow, and have played guitars since I was 16. In the last 21 years I have almost always used high output, "hot" pickups. I played in some punk bands when I was younger, but since then have primarily played metal. I've always associated hot pickups with metal. Even if that is wrong, it's just how I've always approached it. I've never got along with EMG, or any active pickups. I've always preferred passive. I've also always enjoyed ceramic pups, but never knew why (lack of knowledge on pickups). They were always super hot, and tight. I've always liked the Invader pickup, and had a Hot Rails in the bridge of a Tele that sounded amazing IMO. I've also had a JB/59 setup before that I liked, and a Duncan Distortion that I thought sounded good. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Bare Knuckle pickup, like a War Pig, Nailbomb, or something.

Again, when it comes to pickups I basically have no knowledge at all, any information would be greatly appreciated. I've always liked hotter pickups, but haven't given the pickups in my 594 a chance yet. I will definitely give them a chance, and go from there.

I’m not an expert on pickups and someone that is can pick what I’m about to say apart, but it’s my takeaways from experimenting so if any of this helps you then that’s great.

In general, the more you overwind a pickup, the hotter it gets, but the EQ shifts. More mids, less top end. There’s more to it, but that’s the vastly oversimplified version.

IME, high output ceramics tend to sound thick and tight into higher gain, but somewhat akin to wet cardboard into a clean channel. It’s what‘s lead to a lot of people developing a distaste for them.

Alnico has a bit of a different feel to it, and that feel varies depending upon type (most common in guitar pickups is alnico 2, 3, and 5). A2 is arguably the most vintage sounding, with A3 sounding similar IMO. They have a bit of a spongy feel that softens the attack, makes it less strident/sterile. A5 is a bit more modern… slightly more output than A2, tighter, but more scooped than A2. I think A5 is seen in the bridge more because it has better bottom end, and in the neck it has a tendency to get too muddy.

When I was younger I hated the JB (A5 magnet) as it was too squishy and didn’t have enough definition for my tastes. Now, after a decade of playing through mostly A2 bridge pickups I like the JB (A5) as it’s a good compromise between the feel of A2 and the tightness of ceramic.

(side note, I’m pretty sure the Distortion is a JB with a ceramic magnet, and I think a Tremonti is supposed to be similar to a Gibson 500-T)

I don’t know if that helps, or just makes it more confusing, but there it is. :)

More gain? Get a boost pedal!
I use it in 2 ways. Either as a solo boost or as a balancing device when switching guitars. Mainly off with most humbuckers and on with single coils or lower output pickups...
Try the TC electronic Spark. Works for me with the flexibility of switching the 3 modes on it. Cheap enough to experiment...
Especially for downtunning I find that lower output pickups respond better and stay clearer if that makes sense...

Don't forget, all the advice and opinions are good, but most important thing is what do *you* like? It's all subjective, and the pickups that sound best to *you* are the right ones that you should be using!

Great! Thanks for the advice! I was thinking either the 11-56, or 12-54 for Drop C. I'm assuming the 11's would be the better bet simply because it would be easier to bend, and play leads.
My SC594 stays in D-standard, using Burly Slinky's 11-52. According to the Stringjoy tension calculator it gives the same overall tension as my DC594 (E-Standard) using Regular Slinky's, 10-46, and thus I do not notice any difference moving between the two guitars. For Dropped-C, I use the Beefy Slinky's 11-54 on my LTD EC-1000T (24.75" scale length). The Burly slinky's on a 594 may be ok with Dropped-C though the low string drops (pun intended) to ~13 pounds of tension vs my normal 17 using standard tunings. It feels a bit mushy to me and my ham handed pick attack.

As I do not play many leads, my brain is a bit too slow for them, I often swap out the 22p/24p (Beefy or Not Even Slinky (12-56), respectively) with a 24w to greatly reduce the tension on the string. The 24p sounds a bit dead to me, while the 24w seems to have better sustain.

Best of luck!

I have a SC594 that’s a Semi-Hollow, and despite what I originally thought, the chamber actually gives tighter bass than the fully solid body.

I use mine all the time for hard rock/metal - but being an older dude, my metal is Metallica, Megadeth, etc, and my hard rock is Van Halen, Maiden, Etc. My absolute favorite band is Dream Theater.

I don’t play a lot of covers (except when I was playing at church), I write prog instrumental metal, use a Kemper, and I can get killer high gain or crystal cleans. I kept the 58/15LT pickups in it, I rarely mod guitars.

If you do pull the pickups, I’d hang on to them or sell them, there’s a couple of shops I won’t mention that will charge to put in some bare knuckles, keep your old PRS pups and sell them for big $$.

I’m not an expert on pickups and someone that is can pick what I’m about to say apart, but it’s my takeaways from experimenting so if any of this helps you then that’s great.

In general, the more you overwind a pickup, the hotter it gets, but the EQ shifts. More mids, less top end. There’s more to it, but that’s the vastly oversimplified version.

IME, high output ceramics tend to sound thick and tight into higher gain, but somewhat akin to wet cardboard into a clean channel. It’s what‘s lead to a lot of people developing a distaste for them.

Alnico has a bit of a different feel to it, and that feel varies depending upon type (most common in guitar pickups is alnico 2, 3, and 5). A2 is arguably the most vintage sounding, with A3 sounding similar IMO. They have a bit of a spongy feel that softens the attack, makes it less strident/sterile. A5 is a bit more modern… slightly more output than A2, tighter, but more scooped than A2. I think A5 is seen in the bridge more because it has better bottom end, and in the neck it has a tendency to get too muddy.

When I was younger I hated the JB (A5 magnet) as it was too squishy and didn’t have enough definition for my tastes. Now, after a decade of playing through mostly A2 bridge pickups I like the JB (A5) as it’s a good compromise between the feel of A2 and the tightness of ceramic.

(side note, I’m pretty sure the Distortion is a JB with a ceramic magnet, and I think a Tremonti is supposed to be similar to a Gibson 500-T)

I don’t know if that helps, or just makes it more confusing, but there it is. :)
Wow, I really appreciate the reply. Cleared up a lot of things for me!

So, it seems like ceramic pickups are great for high gain tones, but lack a bit in the clean area. That honestly makes sense, because when I had invader pups in my guitars they sounded super saturated, and thick...but never had a real good clean sound.

It seems like A5 pickups might be the way to go A best of both worlds approach.

Still going to play with these stock pickups for a bit, and see how it goes.

Thank you for the information!

My SC594 stays in D-standard, using Burly Slinky's 11-52. According to the Stringjoy tension calculator it gives the same overall tension as my DC594 (E-Standard) using Regular Slinky's, 10-46, and thus I do not notice any difference moving between the two guitars. For Dropped-C, I use the Beefy Slinky's 11-54 on my LTD EC-1000T (24.75" scale length). The Burly slinky's on a 594 may be ok with Dropped-C though the low string drops (pun intended) to ~13 pounds of tension vs my normal 17 using standard tunings. It feels a bit mushy to me and my ham handed pick attack.

As I do not play many leads, my brain is a bit too slow for them, I often swap out the 22p/24p (Beefy or Not Even Slinky (12-56), respectively) with a 24w to greatly reduce the tension on the string. The 24p sounds a bit dead to me, while the 24w seems to have better sustain.

Best of luck!
Thanks! Appreciate the response!

So, you think 11-54 would be good for Dropped C on my 594? or should I go for 11-56?

Thanks! Appreciate the response!

So, you think 11-54 would be good for Dropped C on my 594? or should I go for 11-56
I would start with 11-54 too see how you like feel of the low "C" string. You may have to go to a 56 but I prefer to be very conservative with filing the nut.

Back