McCarty Rosewood vs Modern Eagle?

vami

McCarty Rosewood vs Modern Eagle especially Quatro

To all who have played or owned both,

what’s you opinion on similarities and differences between these two fine guitars based on same platform?

Thanks

I owned a 03 McRosie for a few years, and I played an original Modern Eagle in a store once. I wouldn't say the differences were huge, but the ME1 had a certain special something that I don't normally get from 98% of guitars I play. The 03 McRosie was a beautiful instrument in its own right, one of the nicest I have ever owned. I tried at least 7 or 8 sets of pickups in it before moving it on. It had this beefy grunt captured well by the McCarty pickups, but it got lost in a mix really easily. I should have kept it, but hey, a friend of mine still has it and loves it.

The Quatro with its 53/10s wins by virtue of those fabulous pickups (which will never again be seen).

I have a few of each and the similarities are there... yet my nod goes to my ME1 NOS with factory installed 57/08’s. The pickups really compliment the guitar well. Outside of the obvious... full Brazzy neck... the satin finish is also very nice. Put all three together and it really makes this instrument special, both sonically and feel.

Now, to further complicate matters, I have a 59/09 Limited that really gives it a run for its money. Satin body, 59/09’s and a solid IRW neck. Blind test has shown me it’s hard to tell them apart... especially when plugged into my Rivera twin.

Enter my 07 McRosie... poor man’s modern eagle? Maybe... maybe not. Another stellar instrument. I’ve always wanted to swap the pups for a mixed set of 57/08 and 59/09’s and satin the body to see what it would do. I just don’t have the sack to bastardize a mint, beautiful instrument. It’s perfect as-is.

Definitely didn’t help you, did I? You’re welcome ;)

Cheers!
Chuck
rs=w:1280,h:853

rs=w:1300,h:800

:

IMG_4802.jpg

prs77777.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I picked up a Wood Library "Ted" a while back from Willcutts. Real high level maple top, IRW neck, BRW board. 57/08 neck, 59/09 board....What a great combo! Is it as good as my (former) NOS ME 1? Well, that is hard to state definitively. It cost a lot less and I played it a lot more than the ME 1. Not that there was anything WRONG with the ME 1.

Just my opinion, but I would take my Quatro with the 53/10s over a McCarty. But I have never played the latter, so how valid is my opinion?

I've had a few MEs and McRosies and I wouldn't say there's anything 'better' about all MEs vs McRosies. They vary a lot tonally, as I find all rosewood necked guitars do. They aren't as consistent as mahogany or maple. I find the same applies to 594s too.

Treat each guitar as it's own thing and decide if you like what you hear would be my advice. Don't assume that a Modern Eagle will always sound better than a McCarty.

Satin sucks. It’s my Sergio blue.

Take a really nicely figured piece of wood and hide it behind satin. :confused::rolleyes: But hey; to each his own.

I know how you feel about satin, and understand. I just like to poke the bear.

And I really like the feel of satin. And it's what's on the inside that matters. And I can't afford the type of tops you get, so it doesn't matter as much.

I know how you feel about satin, and understand. I just like to poke the bear.

And I really like the feel of satin. And it's what's on the inside that matters. And I can't afford the type of tops you get, so it doesn't matter as much.

I admit........satin feels good.

https://imgur.com/oU6X5sD
I also admit a satin neck feels good. My incoming PRS has a satin (opaque) neck.

Last edited:
Back