McCarty 594 vs Custom 24

I have both, and love them. They do different things, and they inspire me in different ways, but both sound great, both work with any style of music, etc. Either way, you can’t make a mistake.

When you’re playing a PRS - and this is especially the case with the CU24 - the volume and tone controls are truly useful, and using them is a good idea. It’s kind of a shame to just turn the volume and tone controls up to ten and leave them there. Lots of colors and shadings are available working the guitar controls. Don’t be shy about using them! The CU24 isn’t a brittle and bright guitar, it’s a guitar capable of a lot of sounds, from dark to bright, depending on how you set it, and of course, depending on how you set up your amp to work with it.

You probably know all this, but I mention it because it’s easy to lose sight of this stuff when you’re trying out an unfamiliar guitar. And in a store setting, often both guitar and amp are unfamiliar, so just as you would with your own amp, it’s a good idea to dial the amp in to compliment the tone of the guitar, and vice-versa.

A 594 isn’t a Les Paul. It’s got certain “classic” characteristics, but they’re still different enough that both can easily be justified. So if you’re leaning in that direction, there’s no reason not to.

However, if you want something more different from what you have, the CU24 is the obvious choice, as you recognize in your first post.

Great Great comments guys! ...really ... thank you all ...

is there any difference in ergonomics between the two (i played both shortly, so I'm asking for longer-term experiences).

For instance, a strat sits perfectly well in my lap, an SG is neck heavy, and an LP is clunky body heavy guitar. I guess the Custom 24 is substantially lighter than the 594, but is it more comfortable to play?

What about the coil taps/split and how they sound ?. The website says that the 594 is a Coil tap

Cheers everyone.

Last edited:
Great Great comments guys! ...really ... thank you all ...

is there any difference in ergonomics between the two (i played both shortly, so I'm asking for longer-term experiences).

For instance, a strat sits perfectly well in my lap, an SG is neck heavy, and an LP is clunky body heavy guitar. I guess the Custom 24 is substantially lighter than the 594, but is it more comfortable to play?

What about the coil taps/split and how they sound ?. The website says that the 594 is a Coil tap

Cheers everyone.

The double cut 594 tends to run heavier, but there is overlap between it and the Custom. The Singlecut 594 runs heavier still, but not non-weight-relieved LP heavy.

Ergonomically, the Custom 24 has a longer neck, so your left arm gets extended out from the body more. Balance will be great on either. The neck shape is smaller on the Custom.

The 594 has coil splits, but with a twist. When you engage the split, the slug coil is shunted through a resistor that prevents the entire signal from getting cut. It makes for a fuller split sound with less volume drop and it's slightly noise cancelling. They use this same approach on all their guitars with push/pulls now. I love it so much, I've made it a requirement for all of my guitars.

I'm not as big a fan of the 2 and 4 split positions on the Customs. But that's pretty easily customizable with a soldering iron.

My CU24 is a little different from most, because it was a small private stock run for PRS’ 30th Anniversary, so it has a toggle with a pull-up sweet switch instead of a 5-way blade. The full humbuckers are among my favorite PRS pickups ever (been a PRS player since 1991), however, mine don’t tap or split.

The pickups will do a lot of things, and I generally record my ad music stuff with them through my amps with the volume around 6-8, tone around 7-8. That way there’s more on tap if I need it, and I can turn down to make things clean on my single channel amps - I’m old school, but it’s nice to have lots of tone colors on tap.

My 594 is a doublecut with Soapbar pickups, but I have a recent McCarty with 58/15s that is a go-to instrument. The LTs on the 594 are based on these, and they sound very similar. I’d have a hard time deciding which pickups I like more, though the 85/15s might be more versatile all-‘rounders. Close call, and the splits on the 58/15s sound quite good, though I’m mostly a humbucker player.

I love the 594 Soapbar; it has a gorgeous vintage tone, and if Soapbar pickups are an attraction for you, that guitar is worth a look, and isn’t like what you have.

Both guitars are well balanced. My CU24 is heavier than my 594, despite the 594’s slightly thicker body. They’re all gonna be a bit different.

I think Les answered your question. 594 Soapbar. Vintage sound, but different from what you have. Pays to have some smart people around.

Thank you all for the great comments.

I finally decided- after taking all of your comments in mind- to pull the trigger on a Custom 24 Ten top in Copperhead.
It should arrive Monday... Can't post pics for some reason!

Any advice on the Custom 24? This is my first PRS ;)

Thank you all for the great comments.

I finally decided- after taking all of your comments in mind- to pull the trigger on a Custom 24 Ten top in Copperhead.
It should arrive Monday... Can't post pics for some reason!

Any advice on the Custom 24? This is my first PRS ;)

Obviously other than post pictures for all of us to admire, play the heck out of it!!

Can't post pics for some reason!

Congrats on your purchase!

As for pics, they have to be hosted from a 3rd party site like Imgur or Flickr. Once you upload them you can insert from the 3rd party site into your post. Some grab the bbc code and use the IMG button in the tool bar. I just right click in the pic and select copy and the right click paste into my post.

Do all PRS's Core series have a one piece neck (save for the wings) and a one piece back?

Do all PRS's Core series have a one piece neck (save for the wings) and a one piece back?

Yes, The mahogany backs are one piece. Same with necks.

The Hollowbody guitars and others with maple backs are two piece book matched maple, like most tops. Some small batch run Korina bodies may be more than one piece because of the nature of Korina - the boards aren’t as wide as mahogany. Swamp Ash Specials were mostly 2 piece for the same reason.

Last edited:
Back