Looking To Enter Prs World...new 2016 Ce?

Koop87

Hi everyone,

A little about myself: been playing guitar for 15+ years. I've amassed a pretty decent collection (10+) of guitars, all of which I love. One thing I've always wanted though was an American made PRS. They're one of my "grail" guitars, if you will. I'm a student, however, so funds have never been in my favor. I'm in my last year of medical school and have done pretty well so I want to treat myself a bit, on a budget. I originally started looking the S2 series of guitars, but after doing a bit more research I saw recommendations to instead search for used CE 24s, as for their price range they're much better beasts. I started doing that and found out that PRS has recently re-released that series. So my question is: how are the new models compared to the old? And what is everyone's advice for a newbie trying to enter the PRS world?

The new CE's are great, plus you get some great pickups as well. Or you could look on the used market and for the same price get a used Custom 22/24. It all depends on what you want

IMO, it boils down to 'feel', especially the neck and scale length. The new CE's come only in 24 fret with pattern thin necks and trem. If you'd prefer a stoptail with 22 frets and a thicker neck carve you 'might' find an older CE with those specs but pretty doubtful. The S2's only come with one neck carve - pattern regular at 1-5/8".

So it really boils down to what 'you' are looking for as far as what is best for you. Hopefully you're close to a PRS dealer where you could try the various models and get something that feels right for you! Then you can decide on new vs. used as fits your budget.

Have fun, Jim

I absolutely love the newer CEs. They feel better than the older ones to me but I am a big fan of the pattern thin neck & 24 fret configuration.

You are not going to go wrong with the new CE 24. Beautiful guitars.

The pro's for the new version: You get fantastic pickups, a wider choice of superb maple top colors, a popular and very playable neck shape and all of the incremental changes made to the guitars over the past 15 years. The top has less curves but is very comfortable to play. the drawback is the lack of a 22 fret neck version.

The pro's for the older models: They are cheap to buy used but many are beat up and will need some restoration if you want a really clean look. You can find some really nice tops but you will find some with weird gran patterns and very plain tops. The vintage bass and HFS pickups are nice but do not compare to the new ones. Expect to pay about $350 for replacements which may get you close. Finally, the neck is not a satin neck, it is nitro. Unless you sand it, it will be a bit sticky.

My recommendation is to play both but if you cannot, the CE 24 is a home run as an entry level core model. I have two mint condition models where the prior owner took the hit on the upgrades but were super hard to find.

My EG-3 is similar to older CEs in that it has the pattern thin (wide thin at the time) carve with a nitro finish, and my neck is indeed a bit on the sticky-feeling side. The satin finish on the current neck would almost certainly feel faster. A lot of the used CEs listings I've seen on eBay and Reverb have already been modded with different/better pups, and having aftermarket pups already installed doesn't really seem to affect the going market value at all (unless it's something totally nutty like original PAFs).

Speaking for myself, I would totally check out a new CE22 if PRS adds it back to the lineup, especially if it is offered with a stoptail option. I prefer the overtones possible with the neck pup right under the octave harmonic point, over a couple tightly-spaced frets that my fingers are too thick to use properly anyway. The pattern thin neck carve is just so comfortable, and those 85/15 pickups are killer sounding in all the demos I've watched.

Last edited:
I have to say I do love me new CE a bit better than my Core. But I am a fan of the wide thin necks and 24 frets.

Back