Looking for New Custom 24 - Pickup Questions

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I have a ton of experience with CU24s but it seems like it's time for a new one. With so many great Wood Library runs out there and Private Stocks for that matter, I'm in need of some guidance. Here's the issue. Every CU24 I have is of the older variety meaning sweet switches, high output pickups, & no tone controls. My most recent one is from 1991 so I'm a little behind the times. I've noticed that some of the more recent examples have had 57/08s and I've seen a few with 58/15s.

Here's the question. Have these more recent lower output pickups significantly changed the sound of the CU24s? I've always been able to work with the older ones but I'm open to a change in my next guitar. There is a good chance I will be buying without playing so any insight would be appreciated.

Hi Strat - completely different tonality! I have (and have had) PRSes from many different eras. The newer xx/xx pickups are clearer and more open and balanced than the HFS/VB you are likely used to.

I love the older pickups for higher gain stuff, don't get me wrong, but the newer ones bring a lot more interesting harmonic content and subtlety to the table. Your ears will need some time to adjust, and you'll probably need to re-EQ your rig a bit.

If you're buying site unplayed, I would recommend dealing with a reputable vendor with a good return policy - just in case you find one that's not "for you"

I love old and new PRSes, and FWIW I think the 85/15s / 58/15s are about as good as it gets...

Thanks for the info. The CU24 has always been my go to high gain guitar so the older pickups work just fine. When I need other sounds I just use a different guitar. Now some serious neck issues have led me to care more about comfort. For some reason CU24s seem to balance well so I'm playing them more and more. I just had neck surgery and I thought a new guitar was in order to celebrate it's success. CU24s are comfortable so that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info. The CU24 has always been my go to high gain guitar so the older pickups work just fine. When I need other sounds I just use a different guitar. Now some serious neck issues have led me to care more about comfort. For some reason CU24s seem to balance well so I'm playing them more and more. I just had neck surgery and I thought a new guitar was in order to celebrate it's success. CU24s are comfortable so that's what I'm looking for.
Congrats on successful neck surgery! You DEFINITELY deserve a new axe to celebrate that! Happy hunting!

Good that the surgery worked! I will only echo what Carl says. I got my first CU24 in 1991, too, but currently have a CU24 with 85/15s, and it's a whole different world. Keep the older ones, and add the new variety, it's awesome.

I have a Custom 25th Anniversary with the 57/08s, and I've owned two CU24s in the past with the Vintage Bass/HFS combo... personally, I much prefer the 57/08s for pretty much everything. I still have the VB/HFS in my 20th Standard 24, and they're not bad pickups, but they're very mid-focused and quite hot and I just don't find them as flexible as the 57/08s. I think the 57/08 mid-dial tones (7, 8 & 9 on the rotary pickup selector) are sweeter than those positions using the VB/HFS too... The 57/08s are more articulate, and though they don't have the same output, their clarity lets them do heavier stuff with some amp tweaking or a clean boost, where the VB/HFS combo struggle with some of the vintage tones the 57/08s excel at...

Surgery is never a fun prospect but I had completely lost the feeling in my left hand. The times I could feel my hand it was only because it felt like it was on fire. There was also the electric shock type feeling I was getting in my entire arm when ever I tried to reach out. The issues certainly made playing the guitar challenging along with everything else.

As I went through the process I learned a lot about what guitar weights worked for me and which guitars balanced the best. For instance, a CU24 balances a little better than a CU22 for me which also means the weight can be a little higher on the CU24. Same goes for a Tele vs a Strat which is a killer for me. You might note my forum name.

As my recovery comes to an end, I'm looking at moving my heavier guitars and replacing them with lighter versions. On the top of the list is a special Custom 24 and I'm looking forward to the search.

I have a Custom 25th Anniversary with the 57/08s, and I've owned two CU24s in the past with the Vintage Bass/HFS combo... personally, I much prefer the 57/08s for pretty much everything. I still have the VB/HFS in my 20th Standard 24, and they're not bad pickups, but they're very mid-focused and quite hot and I just don't find them as flexible as the 57/08s. I think the 57/08 mid-dial tones (7, 8 & 9 on the rotary pickup selector) are sweeter than those positions using the VB/HFS too... The 57/08s are more articulate, and though they don't have the same output, their clarity lets them do heavier stuff with some amp tweaking or a clean boost, where the VB/HFS combo struggle with some of the vintage tones the 57/08s excel at...

I have guitars with T&B pickups and with the VB/HFS pickups and I would agree that it can be a struggle to get vintage type tones out of them. That's basically where my question came from. Nice to know the new ones might be a little more flexible.

I have played a great CU24 with 57/08s and it can do it all :)
something about a CU24 it always seems to sound like one to me.

Back