Looking at an SE Standard 24

thx712517

I'm looking at buying an SE Standard 24 in vintage cherry to replace my existing stop tail Tremonti SE. I like the shape and the idea of having a tremolo.

How are the stock pickups for playing clean? Are there any secrets to using the coil split option? How is tuning stability with moderate trem use? Are there any must-have mods to be aware of? Do you need locking tuners, for example, or a new nut, and how well engineered is the existing trem or is it a tone suck?

The 85/15 "S" pickups in that guitar are the same as the ones in my S2 Custom 24 and I find them to be outstanding (I bought a spare set on Reverb -- I like them that much). Other folks don't. Let your ears decide.

If there are any secrets to using split coils, I'd like to know as well. I've been using them for years without encountering any secrets. I just pull the knob and play.

If you're used to Fender trems, the PRS trem is like a dream come true. If you ever feel the need to adjust a PRS trem, be sure to read up on how to adjust if BEFORE you attempt it (most folks who try without learning how end up damaging theirs). It works better than other guitar brands because it's designed differently.

Some folks like to replace the stock tuners with locking tuners. I don't think there's a need to from a trem usage standpoint. But if you like the ease of re-stringing that locking tuners provides (like I do), then go ahead and do it -- but there really isn't a need.

The biggest gripe you'll find around here about SEs is the nut. It's not as good as a Core nut. If you encounter tuning problems, look at replacing it with a Core nut. If you don't encounter problems, why spend the money? (I have 5 SEs and never changed a nut on any of them)

Thankfully there isn't a lot of "group think" on this forum. It's frequented by a large number of kind and helpful folks who have divergent opinions.

So buy that Standard 24 and join the club!

Last edited:
Agree with everything said by Tim S, couldn’t have said it better myself. :cool:

If you are patient you can get a very decent price on a used one from Dave’s in Lacrosse, WI

Back