Long time; no post. Miss January 2013

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
This morning, I asked a wood supplier to keep their eyes open for a type of figured flame maple top. So, I sent pics of this guitar to show what I’m looking for. It also reminded me that I haven’t posted this guitar for many (birds and) moons.

This was the selection for January 2013 in the PRS calendar. Pics of this guitar prompted some dude to post a thread entitled, “Would you return this guitar if you received this top?” I got a real kick out of that since I found this top in the vault and carried it around like gold until the order was placed. Different strokes for different folk and one man’s treasure.....:confused:

SC58
Maple top
Macassar ebony fretboard
IRW neck
Swamp ash back
Mammoth ivory/abalone birds

[url=https://imgur.com/cMcDmop]
[/URL]
https://imgur.com/aJ9fTVf

Last edited:
when we put our new kitchen in a few years ago, we had to go pick out the granite. The granite salesman was showing us a piece, and saying, "depending on your layout, we could have the spot cut out" and he would point to mineral streaks or what he considered to be blemishes. I told him I preferred that piece and we actually picked one that had several of them. He said "some people want perfection and I try to tell them this is real and it is not a perfect pattern, but I'm with you. I think it adds character." He then said, he could give us a discount for choosing that piece, and would write it in as a discount for the "flaw" spots. (I think he liked my wife, but will take the discount).

Fast Forward. The granite guy lays them out one day and calls us in to look, and says "I just can't find a layout that will place this "spot" in an area I'm cutting out for a sink or cutting to meet the other piece." He was trying to get rid of it too! I said "no, we chose this piece because of it's character and we want that visible. He said "Oh yeah, i prefer that too but most people who spend this money want it to not have any of those spots." I told him, "If I wanted a perfect pattern, I'd buy formica." He thought that was funny. But I was surprised that both guys acted like any break from the perfect speckled look of the rest of it, was an "issue." I felt it made it look better, and more real.

These spots look like black crystal and are very sharp looking, not some eyesore, and they are only a few inches in diameter.

The intricacies of an irregular top have always fascinated me. I feel that every time you look, you’ll see something you didn’t see before. That’s just a beautiful piece of wood, and I especially like the 3 dimensional quality. It’s perfect in its imperfections.

Back