Little Guitar

The minimalist approach to guitar playing always makes me think of a lot of the music of Stax and Motown. Here's one of my personal favorites.

Goldtop

Last edited by a moderator:
sergiodeblanc,

Man, I can't tell you how much I dig this topic. Thank you again for getting this topic of discussion started. Since I read your first post, I have been going back through my LPs, CD, and personal memory bank (cloudy though it sometimes is), and I have been having a great time doing so. Kudos my friend!

I can't go much longer without including two players who I think are great examples of the kind of playing we're talking about here: Keef Himself, and Waddy Wachtel. Talk about building a groove and just living on it. Their simplicity is the flash.

'Yank it up, BAY-bay!!!'

Goldtop

This is a nice version of a classic tune, who is it?

Martina McBride, long time country singer. She did a retro album a few years back with a number of good ones if country doesn't make you puke. Here is another cover that I think is better than the original. There isn't much guitar before the solo but it is another tastey understated piece of work.

sergiodeblanc,

Man, I can't tell you how much I dig this topic. Thank you again for getting this topic of discussion started. Since I read your first post, I have been going back through my LPs, CD, and personal memory bank (cloudy though it sometimes is), and I have been having a great time doing so. Kudos my friend!

I'm pleased to hear it! While I have always enjoyed all kinds of music, the whole rock/metal approach to guitar had pretty much run its course with me about eight years ago. I never quit the guitar, but I found myself doing more "urban" synthesizer and music programing kind of stuff with sampled guitar parts. When the whole sampling issue eventually became extremely cost prohibitive, I just had to start making them myself, and unknowingly starting up a new chapter of my infatuation with the electric guitar.

Little parts rule! and they are just as hard as playing a blazing solo, just a different kind of hard. Try playing the spanky single note line in "Get down on it" for four minutes straight, while staying in the pocket, it's totally different thing than your typical guitar hero thing.

The Mu-tron guitar part in this song kills me every time I listen to it.

I have been trying to replicate this vibe forever, I'll let everybody know when I finally achieve it.

'ACE FREHLEY ... LEAD GUI-TAH ... SHOCK M_ !' Oooops. No, wait... Okay, here we go: Ace Frehley - SOLO - New York Groove!

Goldtop

Here is one of my all time favorite guitar bits ever. What a solo! Short, sweet, tasty; just like that new chick Jackie at The Donut Barn. (Alas, that's another subject for another time.)

Goldtop

I've always loved the little guitar in Joseph Hill and Cultures' song, "One A We".
Full of horn hits and lines, the guitar parts weave around them and are equally as important to the sound of the tune.

"Have You Seen Her?" by The Chi-Lites.

The Goldtop

Great descending line in that Culture tune! I am loving the square wave fuzz on that Chi-Lites!

I like how all of the different types of 'Little Guitar' bits weave around in this. There may even be some mandocello in there somewhere...

Goldtop

Another percussive muted strings masterpiece. Left channel rhythm guitar makes the the song. Right channel muted string embellishment chords in call-response to the lyrics for a double muted string guitar symphony.

I've been playing in 3 piece bands (guitar/bass/drums) for so long that I wouldn't even know where to begin to be a guitarist like this. I've always had a ton of space to fill and it's a challenge to hang back from big.

I've been playing in 3 piece bands (guitar/bass/drums) for so long that I wouldn't even know where to begin to be a guitarist like this. I've always had a ton of space to fill and it's a challenge to hang back from big.

Hey John I know what you mean, but since your band has some indie leanings may I suggest the master Andy Gill to get you started?

Honestly Gang of Four was one of the first bands that made me aware of how powerful less guitar could be, bonus points for finding this on Fast Product.

Clavinet and guitar battle over who's funkier.

I love "little" guitar!

Back