Liberty Records

László

Too Many Notes
Liberty was a record label that was around until the 2010s, though there was a succession of owners.

In the history of rock and roll, they had Eddie Cochran, and hits like 'Summertime Blues'; other notables were Bobby Vee, Gene Pitney, Willie Nelson, Del Shannon, Jan and Dean. Pop hits included 'Cry Me A River'.

Nonetheless, by 1958 the label was close to bankruptcy. This is the song that saved them. At the time, this was considered rock and roll, too. It was one of the first multi-track hit records, owing to the varispeed system needed for some of the...erm...stars on the record...

Yes, the world was a different place in 1958. And the lyrics...yeah. OK, they were a little different...

A few of us might remember this one. VERY FEW. ;)

One of the most annoying and misguided things commonly done today is judging anything outside its time. I love this stuff, not for how it compares today, but for the time capsule it is. Things were different, what people knew and experienced was different, and I don’t mind saying it brings a smile. Someone figured it out and had a bit of success with it. I’m a fan.

One of the most annoying and misguided things commonly done today is judging anything outside its time. I love this stuff, not for how it compares today, but for the time capsule it is. Things were different, what people knew and experienced was different, and I don’t mind saying it brings a smile. Someone figured it out and had a bit of success with it. I’m a fan.
I'm all for any kind of music that people enjoyed whenever, too. I was a little kid when that song came out, and I remember singing it with my friends at summer camp.

Liberty was a record label that was around until the 2010s, though there was a succession of owners.

In the history of rock and roll, they had Eddie Cochran, and hits like 'Summertime Blues'; other notables were Bobby Vee, Gene Pitney, Willie Nelson, Del Shannon, Jan and Dean. Pop hits included 'Cry Me A River'.

Nonetheless, by 1958 the label was close to bankruptcy. This is the song that saved them. At the time, this was considered rock and roll, too. It was one of the first multi-track hit records, owing to the varispeed system needed for some of the...erm...stars on the record...

Yes, the world was a different place in 1958. And the lyrics...yeah. OK, they were a little different...

A few of us might remember this one. VERY FEW. ;)
Before I was born, but yeah I’ve definitely heard that song. I had a dream once that Sergio and I performed it live while wearing togas. And I know what you are thinking, and the answer is NO, I have not smoked weed or ingested any hallucinogens since I‘ve known Sergio. I just thought it was a 2020’s version of Animal House or something… so in that context, who else would I have a dream like that about? Pretty much Sergio. And, well, I do think I saw Scott doing the alligator and Bodia crowd surfing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I was born, but yeah I’ve definitely heard that song. I had a dream once that Sergio and I performed it live while wearing togas. And I know what you are thinking, and the answer is NO, I have not smoked weed or ingested any hallucinogens since I‘ve known Sergio. I just thought it was a 2020’s version of Animal House or something… so in that context, who else would I have a dream like that about? Pretty much Sergio. And, well, I do think I saw Scott doing the alligator and Bodia crowd surfing.
Long before the movie, I lived in the house that was Animal House on my college campus. I'll say this: Except for the bit with tearing up some dude's dad's car for a parade, the movie 'Animal House' had very tame animals.

Too bad you were in elementary school at the time, I suspect you'd have fit in.

Long before the movie, I lived in the house that was Animal House on my college campus. I'll say this: Except for the bit with tearing up some dude's dad's car for a parade, the movie 'Animal House' had very tame animals.

Too bad you were in elementary school at the time, I suspect you'd have fit in.
I've told a few tales here about the frat house that some of my high school friends were in when we went to college.

Honestly though, while I liked laughing at all the crazy stuff I saw, I was not a big participant in the debauchery. Even at my wildest, I was a mild partyer. Never a big drinker or anything. So I'd usually go there for a while but not stay long. Plus, both fall and winter quarters were basketball season so I was even more cautious with the partying. I've only had a few hangovers in my lifetime, and only played basketball one time with a hangover and made sure NEVER to do that again. It was just a scrimmage, but I ran off the court during live play, straight into the locker room and threw up.

I was 19 when that happened and probably only had 2-3 more hangovers total after that. So, definitely a fun guy at parties, but not one of those wild frat party binge drinker wild men.

I've told a few tales here about the frat house that some of my high school friends were in when we went to college.

Honestly though, while I liked laughing at all the crazy stuff I saw, I was not a big participant in the debauchery. Even at my wildest, I was a mild partyer. Never a big drinker or anything. So I'd usually go there for a while but not stay long. Plus, both fall and winter quarters were basketball season so I was even more cautious with the partying. I've only had a few hangovers in my lifetime, and only played basketball one time with a hangover and made sure NEVER to do that again. It was just a scrimmage, but I ran off the court during live play, straight into the locker room and threw up.

I was 19 when that happened and probably only had 2-3 more hangovers total after that. So, definitely a fun guy at parties, but not one of those wild frat party binge drinker wild men.
I wasn't then, and am not now, much of a drinker.

I was, however, a little bit nuts. Whether that's changed or not is anyone's guess.

Was I wearing the toga over the shoulder style like a dude, or across the bust like a lady?

Alvin & The Chipmunks were my favorite band until I saw The Beatles (who clearly stole The Chipmunk’s vocal harmonies!) on the Ed Sullivan Show
It's good to be a kid, right?

I pretty much felt the Chipmunks were as good as anyone until The Beatles!

I mean, can Del Shannon (Runaway), Leslie Gore IIt's My Party) or Shelly Fabares (Johnny Angel) really compare to Alvin and the Chipmunks?

I think not!

Back