Les' Excellent Adventure: Private Stock Friday

Lying in bed last night, I sat and pondered, how much gear could I sell to get one of these? Answer: I would no longer have any pedals, amps, other guitars, and my wife will be pretty upset about her cat. But it would be totally worth it!

Thanks again for all the good wishes, guys!

Gen III vibrato? What is this??

It's a refinement of the standard vibrato; as I understand it, the block that holds the saddles is grooved a little differently, the screws are bigger to transfer more vibration to the guitar, there are other little refinements. And on the PS version, there are locking screws that are kind of pyramid shaped that go right into the saddles.

It's explained here, except the part about the locking screws on the PS version:

http://www.prsguitars.com/2015/5815/

I can't say whether this is the cause of the increased sustain on my guitar, or it's just a great hunk o' wood, or both. But the guitar's sustain and the uniqueness of its tone makes it absolutely, hands-down, the most amazing-sounding guitar I have in my admittedly small stable (I only have 4 electric guitars, but they're good 'uns!).

For me, at this PS level, each one is my favorite when I play it, so I would hate to have to choose a favorite. But it's really, really, unique and interesting to play this thing and I'm truly blown away by it.

Souls LOVE to hear sound clips.
Great studio shot!!

I promise clips on this guitar. You have to hear it sustain, and the switch positions are so good sounding...

If I have time, I'll do a few today, and if not, tomorrow. I'd like to get used to it a little before I embarrass myself with my very iffy playing, made worse by the hand issue.

Great that you got what you expected and a lot lot more Les
i wish you a very fast remedy so you can enjoy exploring her musical potentials to the fullest.
Big Congrats, I'll sharpen my ears for the clips :D

Gen III vibrato? What is this??

Les did some info work already, I would like to admit the following:

"The Gen III Trem functions in all the same ways as PRS’s patented tremolo always has, and includes two notable design updates. Both of these updates maximize the transfer of the strings’ vibration through the bridge and into the body of the guitar, supporting the fidelity of the guitar’s tone and maximizing sustain.

1. The screw has larger thread and a custom head design, creating more mass and more contact from the screw to the bridge and the bridge to the guitar’s body.

2. Grooves have been added to the bridge plate. The grooves are radiused to match the radius of the height adjustment screws, again so there is more contact and a better fit.

John Mann bridge (Gen I). Approximate years in production: 1985 – 1995.
PRS Patented Tremolo (Gen II) Approximate years in production: 1993 – current.
PRS Gen III Patented Tremolo. Offered in Core production via the "58/15" limited run in 2015.
PRS Gen III Patented Tremolo with locking saddles. Offered through the Private Stock program beginning in 2011.
"
(Source: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html)

And:

"[...] and the Private Stock Gen III tremolo bridge with locking saddles. Our most recent innovation, this Gen III tremolo, functions in all the same ways as the PRS patented tremolo system always has. As always, the bridge is machined brass, a metal that rings beautifully. The block, intonation screws, height-adjustment screws, and the string slots on the saddles are all left un-plated for increased sustain and fidelity of tone. A. The mounting screw holes are countersunk from underneath, creating a knife-edge set-up that ensures the bridge will return to pitch after use. B. The bridge’s sidewalls create a pocket that keeps the six individually adjustable saddles from moving sideways, thereby eliminating another traditional cause of tuning instability. C. The saddles feature a compound radius so that the string breaks across the saddle at the optimum angle for contact and vibration transfer through the bridge. The Private Stock Gen III Trem also features locking saddles. These saddles hold the ball ends in place preventing any movement in the block and further ensuring the guitar returns to pitch after use. D. The tremolo arm is unthreaded and features a small set screw that allows the player to customize the feel of the arm and find a comfortable playing position. The Gen III trem also has a few notable updates that further support the fidelity of the guitar’s tone and maximize sustain. E. The mounting screws have been redesigned with larger thread and a larger custom head. This added mass creates more contact from the screw to the bridge and the guitar’s body, resulting in greater sustain. F. Grooves have been added to the bridge plate. The grooves are radiused to match the radius of the height adjustment screws, again so there is more contact and a better fit."

(Source: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/prs_collection_series_the_story (There you could find a draft of the vibrato aswell.))

Les,
That is one awesome guitar. You also have a very understanding wife. Mine would ask for more than one dinner :). Can't wait to hear the sound clips

As amazing as PRS' core line is in regards to playability and sustain (especially compared to their industry contemporaries), the PS products can be superior in both categories. Not always, but such beasts exist and your seems to be one of them. Congrats on a home run score, bud. *huge-grin and atta-boys*

Sorry to hear about the numbness in your hand and fingers, and I hope that feeling comes back soon. As far as the guitars go, I am feeling that PS!! Congratulations!

Thanks, guys!

Les,
You also have a very understanding wife. Mine would ask for more than one dinner :)

Dinner was just for fun.

I'm getting her something special, but since she returns everything I pick out for her on my own, I've asked her to tell me what she'd like.

Just an incredible instrument Les...finding it more and more difficult to resist one of these myself. I was wondering how the switching was set-up, and couldn't find any explanation elsewhere...so thanks again for your great description (seems like the most logical/versatile and yet simple way to incorporate the three pickup configuration). Congratulations again...enjoy it in good health (especially for your hand recovery...hopefully very soon). Only 3 more to go for the "PS for every day" club....;)

Thanks, guys!

Dinner was just for fun.

I'm getting her something special, but since she returns everything I pick out for her on my own, I've asked her to tell me what she'd like.

Your wife and mine must be sisters! I can't remember the last thing I got her on my own which she kept... :)

Thanks again for all the good wishes, guys!

It's a refinement of the standard vibrato; as I understand it, the block that holds the saddles is grooved a little differently, the screws are bigger to transfer more vibration to the guitar, there are other little refinements. And on the PS version, there are locking screws that are kind of pyramid shaped that go right into the saddles.

It's explained here, except the part about the locking screws on the PS version:

http://www.prsguitars.com/2015/5815/

I can't say whether this is the cause of the increased sustain on my guitar, or it's just a great hunk o' wood, or both. But the guitar's sustain and the uniqueness of its tone makes it absolutely, hands-down, the most amazing-sounding guitar I have in my admittedly small stable (I only have 4 electric guitars, but they're good 'uns!).

For me, at this PS level, each one is my favorite when I play it, so I would hate to have to choose a favorite. But it's really, really, unique and interesting to play this thing and I'm truly blown away by it.

Les-
Thanks for taking the time to provide these wonderful accounts so that we can all share in the experience. I do have a question...you have some AMAZING guitars. I imagine that for the first few weeks, the latest guitar gets most of your attention and play-time. After that honeymoon period, do you spend equal time with each of these wonderful instruments? Do some of them get pushed to the background, and then you rediscover them weeks/months later? Or do each of the members of your stable get regular action throughout the week? It's a wonderful challenge - having such an amazing collection. I'm curious how you enjoy them all!

I imagine that for the first few weeks, the latest guitar gets most of your attention and play-time. After that honeymoon period, do you spend equal time with each of these wonderful instruments? Do some of them get pushed to the background, and then you rediscover them weeks/months later? Or do each of the members of your stable get regular action throughout the week? It's a wonderful challenge - having such an amazing collection. I'm curious how you enjoy them all!

Thanks P90s, but many of the members here have tons more guitars, and especially more PS and special runs, so my stable is very small and easy to manage - 4 electrics, and an acoustic!

I play all of them regularly each week, generally playing a different one or two each day. When I'm working on an ad project, I tend to use more than one guitar and amp anyway, to give the track a little more interest and depth. So they all get regular workouts.

Only 3 more to go for the "PS for every day" club....;)

Ha! The guys in the amp threads told me now I have to buy a new amp, that's the rule. So it'll be a while before that club gets me as a new member!

Your wife and mine must be sisters! I can't remember the last thing I got her on my own which she kept... :)

I used to get a little bummed that I couldn't pick out gifts that she actually liked, but then I realized that it's better if she gets something she really wants.

Back