Korina Limited 1812

Steve B.

Hello, first time PRS owner and new forum member here . I finally spent the bucks and purchased a mint KL 1812 from my local Guitar Center for $1600 and, besides introducing myself, have a question or two for the experts every forum possesses. First, it is a lovely guitar that sounds great, but I'm wondering to what extent I can improve it as I modify every guitar and amp I buy - even if it's just cosmetically - to make it a tad different than stock. I have heard wonderful things about the 57/08 pickups, but don't know anything about how they would compare with the Mira p/u's this came with. This is also my first Korina guitar and I really like everything associated with it - weight, looks, acoustic tone, etc. Can I make this guitar sound even more <insert superlative here> by swapping p/u's? Do the 57/08s work well with Korina and its inherent clear, mid-range-y tone?

Also, if anyone knows, this guitar's serial number begins with 08, but I've read that PRS made only 100 KL 1812s in 2009. Do I have a different guitar?
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hello, first time PRS owner and new forum member here . I finally spent the bucks and purchased a mint KL 1812 from my local Guitar Center for $1600 and, besides introducing myself, have a question or two for the experts every forum possesses. First, it is a lovely guitar that sounds great, but I'm wondering to what extent I can improve it as I modify every guitar and amp I buy - even if it's just cosmetically - to make it a tad different than stock. I have heard wonderful things about the 57/08 pickups, but don't know anything about how they would compare with the Mira p/u's this came with. This is also my first Korina guitar and I really like everything associated with it - weight, looks, acoustic tone, etc. Can I make this guitar sound even more <insert superlative here> by swapping p/u's? Do the 57/08s work well with Korina and its inherent clear, mid-range-y tone?

Also, if anyone knows, this guitar's serial number begins with 08, but I've read that PRS made only 100 KL 1812s in 2009. Do I have a different guitar?
Thanks guys!

I had an 1812 that I traded in at the guitar center in Manchester , ct . I replaced it with a Sig. lim. Good luck with your new guit-fiddle !

Beautiful guitars, good choice... mine is also an 08, I suspect they probably started making them in late 2008.

I'm happy with the 245/Mira pups in mine. I actually wanted a Mira itself for the longest time, but when the opportunity came up to grab the KL1812 I did that instead - still got the 24 frets, still got the same pickups & the coil tap, but the thing must be under 6 lbs. Incredibly lightweight wood - it's really a special batch of korina. I managed to cure both my Mira and my CU/Std24 GAS all in one go with this, which doesn't happen very often!

If you want it 'punchier' then perhaps consider 59/09s. They're a very modern style PAF that go well with 24-fretters. If you want a more vintage vibe then 57/08s would be the way to go.

As cjmwrx says though, pics or gtfo... ;)

So far, I "may not post attachments" which I interpret as I haven't been here long enough to post pics. Es verdad?

Back