I HATE Apple Music & going back to CD's

Pending house move soon!

Music room, man cave getting built (by me) in the garden, next spring.

My separates are getting out of the boxes after many years.

CD collection getting used.

Alexa you can get it right round you!:p

CD’s? Hah! I got CD’s! I’m so old I still have cassette tapes! As long as the hamsters will run on the treadmill to power my very old B&O stereo, I’m sticking to analog as much as possible. It took me years for the sampling rates to get high enough so I could even listen to CD’s. My son’s mp3 files sound so compressed it’s acoustically uncomfortable for mr to listen to them. Now get off my lawn!

CD’s? Hah! I got CD’s! I’m so old I still have cassette tapes! As long as the hamsters will run on the treadmill to power my very old B&O stereo, I’m sticking to analog as much as possible. It took me years for the sampling rates to get high enough so I could even listen to CD’s. My son’s mp3 files sound so compressed it’s acoustically uncomfortable for mr to listen to them. Now get off my lawn!

Oh the LP’s are coming out too. I have a turntable. The B&W speakers with the woven Kevlar still make me smile.

Last edited:
There used to be a band called “Grin.” Nils Lofgren was the leader. I’ve known the drummer for 50 years. When my older son got married, we learned that my daughter in law was his daughter’s best friend. Bobby had a record store in Frederick, Maryland called Vinyl Acres. It was a great shop. They got flooded out and lost almost everything a few years ago. I gladly gave them my awesome stereo and about 500 albums. They got back on their feet. Now Covid has killed them. If you need a place to buy vinyl or tapes or CD’s, look them up- Vinyl Acres. He’s still a helluva drummer, and his wife had a new wave group called Martha Hull and the Dinettes. When bad times hit, you realize what your friends are worth to you.

Oh the LP’s are coming out too. I have a turntable. The B&W speakers with the woven Kevlar speakers still make me smile.

I have a pair of JBL L65 Jubals that I bought maybe 45 years ago.
I still have them because I haven't heard anything that sounds better.
(Mine have brown fronts.)

attachment.php

You kids these days are so cute with your newfangled cassettes and toys.

8-tracks. I still have 8-tracks. And a working 8-track player.

I despise iTunes and Music so much I actually started writing my own damn simple player a couple of years ago, it barely works, but it's better than what we're given:

https://github.com/voidref/Jackson

If there's interest, I can put up a binary, if there's more interest, I have been thinking about updating it.

As 4 people bothered to click 'like' on this (as clear a sign of interest as any!), I've updated the page with a link to download the app for you to play with. No promises it works for you, but it's not nefarious and officially notarized by Apple

https://github.com/voidref/Jackson/blob/master/README.md

Last edited:
MP3's are 90's technology that was popular because they would download fast at the time. Now we have faster download speeds so you think a higher res format like 96k 24 bit would catch on. Neil Young tried with the Pono player which I bought a few years ago. It didn't catch on. Digital can sound awesome but you need higher resolution and good digital to analog converters. Mp3s are like watching standard definition TV and hi res audio and vinyl is like HD TV but most people don't seem to care or want to spend more money on quality audio.

I did a quick google to see what the Amazon HD service actually equates to in terms of quality, and basically CD and above is the answer from whathifi, see below, not bad at all

"...Confusingly, and rather annoyingly, Amazon Music HD doesn’t use the term HD when it’s discussing high-resolution audio. Where you see tracks labelled HD, this actually means that they’re CD-quality.

Amazon’s decided to referred to and label hi-res music as Ultra HD, (Ultra High Definition). Why? Presumably it feels that this labelling will prove clearer for a mass audience - and perhaps it's right.

Amazon refers to HD tracks as having a ”bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps”. UHD tracks, on the other hand, “have a bit depth of 24-bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.”

To Amazon’s credit, it pushes Ultra HD content extremely hard on the service with dedicated playlists and clear labelling, e.g Best of Ultra HD, Ultra HD: New Arrivals, Ultra HD Hip-Hop and Ultra HD Jazz. It doesn’t take long to find a steady stream of UHD music to listen to.
..."

MP3's are 90's technology that was popular because they would download fast at the time. Now we have faster download speeds so you think a higher res format like 96k 24 bit would catch on. Neil Young tried with the Pono player which I bought a few years ago. It didn't catch on. Digital can sound awesome but you need higher resolution and good digital to analog converters. Mp3s are like watching standard definition TV and hi res audio and vinyl is like HD TV but most people don't seem to care or want to spend more money on quality audio.
Here’s where I have my problem. If you’re going to convert digital to analog, why not just leave everything analog in the first place?

You kids these days are so cute with your newfangled cassettes and toys.

8-tracks. I still have 8-tracks. And a working 8-track player.

I literally just threw away my last 8 track over the weekend- A Steel Guitar Christmas by Jim Baker from 1974 I believe. I can remember riding in our 1973 Oldsmobile wagon listening to that tape on the way to family holiday gatherings. Don't worry though, I replaced it with a copy on vinyl! :D

As a confirmed luddite, I refuse to subscribe to any service as I prefer to have a hard copy in my grubby hands. I still buy CD's and LP's but then I rip them for listening in the truck since they no longer put cd players in them.

As promised in post # 17:

I hate the Bee Gees.
I have hated them since day one.
I have hated everything they have ever done.
(except some tracks from that dopey disco movie. Go figure...)
Some of them are dead and I don't care. I hate the dead ones too.
I hate them all with the burning intensity of a hundred thousand supernovas.
They are, always have been and always will be a festering boil on the skin of music.
A billion years from now the average overall quality of all the music ever composed and
performed throughout the entire universe will still be significantly lower than it would have been
had they never existed.
I hate them.

:eek:

I guess my ears can't tell the difference between downloaded MP3s and CDs, though the reason for that is my Music contains only AAC or MP3s downloads, or uploaded CDs, through my computer's audio interface and JBL LS308 monitors. Perhaps the interface and JBLs are a step-up from computer speakers, as are my bookshelf speakers via my stereo receiver.

The other reason is that I usually don't crank the volume and prefer room volume or background level.

My AAC/MP3 downloads are usually one of several Amazon album releases, costing $1.29 each (or less). I think I surpass the monthly Apple subscription fee in purchases, but it doesn't bother me that much. Some months I pay more than the fee for downloads, other months, not so much.

As was said, my ears aren't tuned that well to hear the difference between AAC, MP3s, and CDs or 33LPs, so it's not that much of an issue for listening to music.

As promised in post # 17:

I hate the Bee Gees.
I have hated them since day one.
I have hated everything they have ever done.
(except some tracks from that dopey disco movie. Go figure...)
Some of them are dead and I don't care. I hate the dead ones too.
I hate them all with the burning intensity of a hundred thousand supernovas.
They are, always have been and always will be a festering boil on the skin of music.
A billion years from now the average overall quality of all the music ever composed and
performed throughout the entire universe will still be significantly lower than it would have been
had they never existed.
I hate them.

:eek:

Man, you're poking a sleeping bear. There are some staunch defenders of the BeeGees faith on this forum.

I still buy CDs. My band still records and sells CDs. (We also have digital distribution, but I like physical media.)

I prefer 5.1 mixes where available (SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V with DTS, or BD). Looking forward to hearing some Dolby Atmos mixes from Steven Wilson (for example his next album, and promises of revisiting his back catalog), and others perhaps. But I will always have shiny silver discs, rather than relying on "the cloud" or downloads to my local HDD.

My car has a CD player - but it gets used rarely right now, since my current commute to work is 10 min, and I don't go into the office every day. Still, I listened to Permanent Waves last week, one song at a time.

But the CD/DVD/BD players in the Home Theater and the TV room (with outdoor speakers for the lanai/pool) get used a lot.

I buy most of my CDs from Amazon. If you are really looking to trawl/troll for deals and don't mind used, hunt down stuff on eBay for mere pennies, plus a few bucks shipping.

Back