John Mayer SE

Just emailed them. Just going to wait! Not like I can’t live with it because it is a great guitar. Just want to make sure they know about it and won’t void the warranty.

Mine was the same - almost felt like little tiny pimples on the neck(!) - a very gentle pass or two with 1500 grit sandpaper (minimal pressure) and they were gone. Super smooth now and did not damage the finish in any way.

Davy

Mine was the same - almost felt like little tiny pimples on the neck(!) - a very gentle pass or two with 1500 grit sandpaper (minimal pressure) and they were gone. Super smooth now and did not damage the finish in any way.

Davy
That’s great! I’m just nervous to do anything to it because of the warranty. Waiting on PRS to contact me back.

Not to stir the pot, but there was an interesting point brought up on TGP. Apparently PRS used a design feature on the SE Silver Sky pickups that may be patented by Dimarzio in their Virtual Vintage pickups. So, the question needs to be asked... did PRS license this?

This is the Dimarzio pickup. Note the extra poles, similar to the SE Silver Sky pickups. Was PRS.....naughty????

images

Not to stir the pot, but there was an interesting point brought up on TGP. Apparently PRS used a design feature on the SE Silver Sky pickups that may be patented by Dimarzio in their Virtual Vintage pickups. So, the question needs to be asked... did PRS license this?

This is the Dimarzio pickup. Note the extra poles, similar to the SE Silver Sky pickups. Was PRS.....naughty????

images

There is also convergent design - If they both have the 'same' knowledge of making pickups and facing the same issue (as in making new/modern pups sound more 'vintage'), then they may well both come up with the same solution. The principal certainly looks similar, but certainly made 'differently'. Those Poles all seem to be the same size where as the inbetween poles on the SE SS are much smaller in diameter.

We also don't know if one or both companies use the same Magnets for every pole - maybe PRS blend Alnico 2 and 5 (for example) where as Dimarzio use the same magnet pole pieces across the whole design.

Anyway, point is that both companies could of come to the 'same' idea because that's the 'logical' solution to the issue they were trying to solve. Like trying to solve the issue of adding downforce on the back wheels of a car, putting a 'wing' on the back that pushes the car 'down' is the 'logical' solution that any car manufacturer would of thought of so could all of come up with the rear wing spoiler simultaneously - even if they implement it slightly differently.

There is also convergent design - If they both have the 'same' knowledge of making pickups and facing the same issue (as in making new/modern pups sound more 'vintage'), then they may well both come up with the same solution. The principal certainly looks similar, but certainly made 'differently'. Those Poles all seem to be the same size where as the inbetween poles on the SE SS are much smaller in diameter.

We also don't know if one or both companies use the same Magnets for every pole - maybe PRS blend Alnico 2 and 5 (for example) where as Dimarzio use the same magnet pole pieces across the whole design.

Anyway, point is that both companies could of come to the 'same' idea because that's the 'logical' solution to the issue they were trying to solve. Like trying to solve the issue of adding downforce on the back wheels of a car, putting a 'wing' on the back that pushes the car 'down' is the 'logical' solution that any car manufacturer would of thought of so could all of come up with the rear wing spoiler simultaneously - even if they implement it slightly differently.

You missed the key term. Patent. Dimarzio holds one on the basic design.

I think the most plausible situation is PRS contracted Dimarzio to design the pickups. I believe Fralin designed the regular Silver Sky pickups, if I'm not mistaken.

Per a quick Google, its expired and here's the supposed patent link for reference

United States Patent: 5399802

Per a quick Google, its expired and here's the supposed patent link for reference

United States Patent: 5399802

Ok...fair is fair. But, lets not all call Paul a genius for the pickup design when Dimarzio came up with that basic design.

Seth lover of Gibson is credited for inventing the humbucking pickup, except that Ray Butts of Gretsch had his at the same 1957 NAMM show and maybe got the patent first.
https://guitar.com/features/interviews/makers-marks-who-really-invented-the-humbucker/

Dimarzio isn’t mentioned from 1957, so he and everyone else copied the basic design to begin with. Lets not call him genius either. Lets call them smart for taking great ideas and enhancing them in an effort to improve on the basic design.

images
This is pure speculation. The Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pups are a noiseless design. The pups in the SS SE are not noiseless, so are a completely different design.

Well since GC was offering 15% off something with trade in I took my spare DV Mark micro amp over there and traded it in. I ordered a SS SE in blue.

Not expected until end of May.

Back