Jeff Beck 5-22-15

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Wow, what an incredible show last night! Mind blown. :adore: I had an awesome seat, 5th row center. It was my first time seeing him and it lived up to all my expectations and more. I'm guessing it was about a 20 song set(give or take). I wish I could tell you the setlist, but I can't. I was a little worried there would be to many songs with vocals...nothing against Jimmy Hall...but I was there to see Jeff. I'd guess Jimmy sang on around 35% of the songs, maybe a little more? It was a great mix, he'd come and go throughout the set(a few songs at a time). I will say, for a 66 year old man(or an age), the guy has a wicked set of pipes on him. I knew that going in. I wish he was a little bit more dynamic as a vocalist, he tends to belt it out a lot of the time, but he's impressive. I thought he was best on "A Change Is Gonna Come" and "The Thrill IS Gone". The whole band was great. I dig the other guitar player he has with him, Nick. Does a lot of the texture and synthy stuff since they don't have anyone on keys. Harmony lead lines and the nylon string stuff he did was awesome.

Jeff had the usual suspects. DSL 100, Becktone head, 2 4x12 cabs, a Tele and 2 Strats. Not sure what to say other than that he was awesome. He pulls things out of a guitar that are other worldly. He's kinda unmatched in that department.

Rhonda Smith killed it. She's awesome. She had a bit of bass solo early in the set, I wanna say during "You Know You Know". She's just got awesome groove and pocket awareness, where & when to punch, push and pull. Interesting note on here rig. There were 3 PRS cabinets stacked up behind here. I'm not sure if they were actual bass cabs, loaded, unloaded dummy cabs or what the deal was. They looked to be about the size of the PRS 2x12 Bigmouth deepback 2x12. Her normal rack gear was behind them. I didn't see any of her normal Mesa bass cabs. I should've investigated more after the show. She had the PS that she "stole" from Gary, what looked like a core GG 5 string and here electric upright.

When they played "Little Wing", I almost got a little tear in my eye. They followed that with "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" and I nearly lost it. One of my favorite songs for sure. There were a few moments like that during this show. It's huge to be able to bring that emotion out of your audience. I saw more than a few people wipe their eyes at times during the show. It was odd, I felt like I either had a huge perma-grin or I was about to start crying like a baby the whole night. Hahaha, it was awesome.

So I got a few good pics, I tried not to take too many cause I just wanted to enjoy the show.
18011430431_0cba1cc4e4_b.jpg

18010685955_c9c8d5e38c_b.jpg

18007464922_024ff9a9bb_b.jpg

17824418759_42c4df69b4_b.jpg

17823037010_93e5bf7e3a_b.jpg

Jeff Beck Live+, his latest CD (recorded in 2014) includes most of the songs we heard during his set with ZZ Top, plus a couple of new studio tracks.

Last edited:
Back